ADVERTISEMENT

ebay vs craigslist?

Dr. Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
Can someone explain the differences between the two to a non tech savvy person?

I have some boat electronics I'm hoping to sell and am thinking of using one of those sites.

Thank you.

Craiglist is like local classified ads online.
Ebay is an auction site, without a 'local' presence, so you could have a buyer from Taiwan if either of you are willing to pay shipping.

Reactions: 407nole
ebay is more formalized and bit safer, world wild market place. Craigslist is local, easy, and sometimes dangerous.

For stuff like you have it depends on how expensive it would be to ship. If it's reasonable then ebay gives you a much larger audience. CL will give you more local people that will come pick it up to save on shipping.

OK, thanks all...did a little research as well..."cons" for craigslist include "bring someone with you" "watch for counterfeit $"..."dangerous"

Think I'll go with ebay

OK, thanks all...did a little research as well..."cons" for craigslist include "bring someone with you" "watch for counterfeit $"..."dangerous"

Think I'll go with ebay

I've done a handful of craigslist sales over the years. I've alway met up with buyers/sellers in very public locations and never had a problem. You might want to check with your local police department. I've read of various PD's offering safe zones for these type of transactions.

Reactions: CJRN
Florida must be a scary place. Wife and I have don't a ton of stuff on Craigslist (nothing involving Krab) and never once worried about safety. Of course, it helps to know your city. I don't respond to ads for high priced goods for dirt cheap in the bad part of town.

Reactions: MIKE_G
Florida must be a scary place. Wife and I have don't a ton of stuff on Craigslist (nothing involving Krab) and never once worried about safety. Of course, it helps to know your city. I don't respond to ads for high priced goods for dirt cheap in the bad part of town.
This. It's not that hard to screen who is serious and who is just trolling. Don't reply to people who ask stupid questions or clearly can't read/comprehend your ad or immediately try to low ball you before they even see the product. Bought and sold a ton of stuff off Craigslist. Most annoying thing is people who don't show up when they say they will.

I use both, in your case you could too. Just mention in your ads, that you have items cross posted. The more you have your items out there, the more views/opportunities.

You will get spam replies from Craigslist often to your email and texts, it's easy and obvious when you get them. Delete and ignore.

Good luck

If I do craigslist...what is best way to make the transaction to avoid getting scammed.

Meet at my bank and have them verify cash or cahiers check/money order is legit?

Better chance of being offered a Russian prostitute in exchange for the boat equipment on CL.

Well, within an hour I've already had the 1st two in the list below:

Recognizing scams

Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:

• Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
  • Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
  • Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
  • Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.

Well, within an hour I've already had the 1st two in the list below:

Recognizing scams

Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:

• Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
  • Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.

In their defense, a lot of Craigslist users do have poor grammar.

I've actually heard more horror stories from eBay than Craigslist... My girlfriend bought a PS3 on eBay and it was completely misrepresented in the ad and she couldn't get her money back... I've never had an issue with Craigslist and I'll have people come right over to my house and pick stuff up.

I've actually heard more horror stories from eBay than Craigslist... My girlfriend bought a PS3 on eBay and it was completely misrepresented in the ad and she couldn't get her money back... I've never had an issue with Craigslist and I'll have people come right over to my house and pick stuff up.
When was this? Now PayPal is quick to refund your money back if something is wrong with the item you bought. It's a buyers best friend. A lot of sellers don't like eBay and PayPal cause they are quick to aid the buyer even if the buyer was wrong.

Craigslist is also when you might want to sell something with a more local interest in a quick turnaround.

I had tickets to one of the shows during the seven days festival in TLH last year. I had a list minute conflict, and sold the tickets within an hour.

Also for craigslist would be furniture, or bigger items. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, like textbooks, old video games, or any other universal items.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT