ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Suspends Grantland

ESPN just has a hard time understanding the content Grantland produced and ended up hurting themselves. Long form articles and Podcast aren't for everyone but ESPN did a horrible job promoting the content. I think their biggest mistake though was treating that product like their standard TV programs. When someone on air says something that management dislikes a suspension hurts the talent but not ESPN. PTI still goes on the next day and advertisers still pay to be on it. But suspending the creator of a podcast or author of a weekly column only hurts the audience and website. You can't have someone else do Bill Simmons' podcast while he's suspended. Yet ESPN continually did that. Just sad because Grantland had a lot of talented people and great content.

Reactions: dmm5157
Sad to hear it, they did a great job with their NBA coverage. Loved the old school Bill Simmons stuff before ESPN became what it is now. Pitty.

I never liked Simmons, thought he sucked on the nba coverage and thought the majority of his shstick was to create or cause controversy or clicks.

Simmons writing about the NBA was decent, Simmons talking about the NBA in TV was horrible. Thin voice with a giant sized ego. His book on the NBA was filled with massive amounts if errors and while he portrayed himself as an expert on the league, the depth of his knowledge went back to '80's.
While the site had many talented people, long form doesn't resonate with a culture rife with ADD and the site was hemorraging cash. 30-30 is an awesome enterprise and has created great TV content but how many clicks does a long form story generate?

For a fame whore, I think he loses big time by leaving ESPN.
Sports don't have that big if presence on HBO but I do see him going away from sports and creating documentaries and possible producing movies.
His online and airtime presence are minimized.

Reactions: Mugsy101
Simmons writing about the NBA was decent, Simmons talking about the NBA in TV was horrible. Thin voice with a giant sized ego. His book on the NBA was filled with massive amounts if errors and while he portrayed himself as an expert on the league, the depth of his knowledge went back to '80's.
While the site had many talented people, long form doesn't resonate with a culture rife with ADD and the site was hemorraging cash. 30-30 is an awesome enterprise and has created great TV content but how many clicks does a long form story generate?

For a fame whore, I think he loses big time by leaving ESPN.
Sports don't have that big if presence on HBO but I do see him going away from sports and creating documentaries and possible producing movies.
His online and airtime presence are minimized.

He was always a comedic writer first and a sports writer second, at least that was his schtick early on. I remember reading his NBA Draft Diary and his dad yelling about Mark Blount having bad hands. Page 2 used to be all that the non-sports or sports and entertainment focused writers were given. Maybe in some ways Simmons ushered in the ESPN he hates now so much. I do give him a lot of credit for speaking his mind and not just bowing down to the ESPN agenda these days.

He'll do fine with Vice. I enjoy their segments and they do some decent expose type stories.

The mothership is taking on water, hopefully it sinks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT