ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN

Whelp, another reason to never watch BSPiN unless a game is literally on right then. The only show I watched other than Gameday on those channels period was Russilo and Kanell. So I'll be deleting it from my DVR now. I enjoy the SiriusXM College Sports shows better than BSPiNs shows as well as several independent podcasts. That's what I usually listen to while working.
It's now becoming obvious that networks/stations just can't come up with enough new content on a topic, college football for example, to compete with all the other content providers out there. Year round CFB or NFL talk no longer makes sense as content creation creation and distribution have been democratized so broadly that there's no longer the barrier to entry that espn/stations/networks once relied upon to keep competition low.

It's similar to the retail clothing industry, traditional retailers like JCP, Sears and even specialty retail like JCrew, A&F, and the Gap are trading at a fraction of their historical value as competition has piled up, diluted, and often times marketed a better product.

Same can be said in media/"journalism" except for the better product but people are too spaced out to realize that.

Kanell was one of the best on ESPN. I think they are just still mad about the Choke at Doak where Kanell overwhelmed an arrogant SEC school in the 4th quarter when they thought they had the game in the bag. He'll find another gig soon and I will follow him.

I think many posters have hit on the problem. That is these huge broadcast rights contracts. Sports franchises are worth billions because of the networks competing and overpaying. Even college sports are being overpaid (except the practically free labor). Pro leagues and NCAA have pushed the money to the max. The market will have to come back down to reality or whatever network is the highest bidder will suffer. Maybe it is time to realize that players and owners or institutions making so much money has peaked.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
No way!! LeBatard and Bomani are by far the best on-air talent they have, IMO. Then again, the reason I like them is that they aren't the typical "Mike and Mike" vanilla-white, generic sports talk programming.

I haven't given Bomani a fair shot but I love the Lebatard show. You need to give the show a few weeks, but it will ruin all other sports radio shows.

Kanell was one of the best on ESPN. I think they are just still mad about the Choke at Doak where Kanell overwhelmed an arrogant SEC school in the 4th quarter when they thought they had the game in the bag. He'll find another gig soon and I will follow him.

I just didn't think Kanell was interesting at all. I used to listen when SVP was on but I thought that show suffered with Kanell.

Did Jalen and Jacoby make it? I generally like their show (in addition to Bomani and LeBatard).

Could be a good day for Fox Sports.

I agree with a lot of what people are saying. They roll out the circus at 6 everyday, keep people like Beedle, Steven A, Schlabach, Dinich and keep the political agenda more than reporting actual sports.

I mean, who saw this coming?

I don't remember the last time I went to ESPN other than the app to check scores. Other places to get scores and scoops without all the side shows.

I think it is more a wake up call to sports networks in general. I cant possibly see how Fox sports is going to benefit by this, and if they do, then it is because they get content on the cheap. That of course, wouldnt be a good thing for the various sports leagues.

No way!! LeBatard and Bomani are by far the best on-air talent they have, IMO. Then again, the reason I like them is that they aren't the typical "Mike and Mike" vanilla-white, generic sports talk programming.

Agreed. Besides actual games, LeBatard is the only show worth listening to on all ESPN mediums.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Hey, Fox getting a legitimate shot at being a rival to ESPN is a good thing IMO. I just question if ESPN will make the correct cuts. I think we can all agree that ESPN, like any other entertainer, is going to focus on eyes and exposure and not necessarily the best sports reporting though.

Fox. Please. 0.

NDRuss, Bacardi hit the nail on the head for me. Between not adding substance and quality analysis, and having to strain to understand his favorite guest. No thanks. I do like Bomani tho. And my opinion was formed BEFORE I knew he was a UM guy. :)
I said it on TMB about this topic. I really hope they fire Lebetard(no way they do). He has stated he would go back to local programming on 790. That means 4 hours of the local show instead of 1. Best hour on the radio.

Sad to see Kanell go but happy Mike and Mike remain intact. Its about the only show worth watching and listening to now. LeBatard is fine in small doses and Stephen A. Smith is unlistenable. I usually don't listen beyond that time frame.

Sad to see Kanell go but happy Mike and Mike remain intact. Its about the only show worth watching and listening to now. LeBatard is fine in small doses and Stephen A. Smith is unlistenable. I usually don't listen beyond that time frame.

Mike and mike is no more.

Read through a list of 50 folks let go, DK was 1 of 5 that actually knew; the rest were all people i had never heard of

I haven't given Bomani a fair shot but I love the Lebatard show. You need to give the show a few weeks, but it will ruin all other sports radio shows.

Agree about LeBatard. It is like finally being unplugged from The Matrix. Wonder why I wasted my time with all of that other trash. Want to hear from a Coach? Not ever heck no. Well, unless they play Christmas carols on the accordion or are part of the looks like game. Want to hear from most other analysts? If Dan makes fun of them, yes. Or if it is the Parade of Gasbags. Unless it is Tim Kurkjian Fridays of course. Realize what the analysts know? Zilch.

I am sure there are a bunch of reasons why espn is having the financial issues they are. IMO they range from very large contracts to the changing media landscape and yes I have heard a bunch of people talk about their stance on political issues. To me though it boils down to the fact that most of their programing sucks. I enjoy M & M and Kanell and Russilo; but other than that there was not much I would watch besides actual sports. The new program SC6 is so bad I don't even like the ads for it, first take I can't watch for more than 5 minutes; throw in the fact that they have 4 channels they have to fill with content and other than college football season and maybe college bball season there is very little worth watching.

Ranger touched on this.

But another thing that needs to be taken into account in the political aspect. There are two people that were let go that just doesn't make sense to me; that's Danny Kannel and Trent Dilfer. These two just don't add to me when you stack rank them next to the others.

Had to make me think it was political. If you don't like a guy as person because of their views about politics, religion, the way they talk, or the confidence they carry, whatever it is...there is no better time to purge those cats out during a mass lay off.

Trent and Danny could have been a victim of this. Just makes no sense to let them go for any other reason.

They both seem like republicans with prevlidged backgrounds and cocky. Could have rubbed some others the wrong way internally....maybe???

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Ranger touched on this.

But another thing that needs to be taken into account in the political aspect. There are two people that were let go that just doesn't make sense to me; that's Danny Kannel and Trent Dilfer. These two just don't add to me when you stack rank them next to the others.

Had to make me think it was political. If you don't like a guy as person because of their views about politics, religion, the way they talk, or the confidence they carry, whatever it is...there is no better time to purge those cats out during a mass lay off.

Trent and Danny could have been a victim of this. Just makes no sense to let them go for any other reason.

They both seem like republicans with prevlidged backgrounds and cocky. Could have rubbed some others the wrong way internally....maybe???
Paranoia running a bit high this morning? They "seem" like republicans with "prevlidged" backgrounds? Funny b/c I'd say DK is prob a democrat.

Regardless, you can pretty much guarantee no one was fired based on personal politics that seem so vague to the viewer we can't definitively tell.

The bottom line is there's (apparently) no need for so many personalities across three 24 hour sports networks. Look at CNN and fxnews, they run 24 hour "news" networks and have half or fewer the on-air personalities, it was stupid for ESPN to load up so much in the first place.

It sucks for DK b/c he's a Nole, but honestly, I have no beef with ESPN laying off so many on-air personalities. What disappoints me is all the local analysts they let go, those folks were the only real "journalists" ESPN had and they're gone, which tells us a bit about the direction they want to head in :(

Reactions: Hayduke GW
I think it is more a wake up call to sports networks in general. I cant possibly see how Fox sports is going to benefit by this, and if they do, then it is because they get content on the cheap. That of course, wouldnt be a good thing for the various sports leagues.

Hopefully sports in general. They have priced themselves out of the market. Pro and college. I mean, when you have a guy that sells tickets to ballgames buying $100,000 pickup trucks you know there's some price gouging going on...

Mike & Mike may be changing in the future. I hear that Greeny will have his own show and that Golic and Trey Wingo will have a show together.

These networks are so bloated with people yappin 24/7, who watches all this crap? Maybe I am in the minority but all i ask for is a good competitive live event or some of the good sports documentaries that are out. I even enjoy the reruns of big games more than a lot of what is on, flipped the channel between Braves game and FSU/Mich rerun last night. I have been watching more of the EPL and a few Bundesliga matches of recent too. In that quick description I just covered multiple networks outside of espn. For a sports fan you can almost see a live event of something every night of the week.

I suspect espn overestimated a continual growth in ratings and used these assumptions to cover all these new future bloated contracts. Expenses quickly outgrew ratings and now they are scrambling to cut costs. While Danny comes across as a good guy who we have known sense he played for FSU, you would have to assume his ratings are not making the company money. Honestly, I have not heard more than 30 minutes of his comments during the football season the entire last year and have yet to watch his show.

I don't know the in/out of this business but hope that these live events drive the ratings and we see even more in the future. I would hate to think a show like Finebaum is the strategy on how to make money in this business.

Reactions: Bill From Tampa
Maybe I am in the minority but all i ask for is a good competitive live event or some of the good sports documentaries that are out. I even enjoy the reruns of big games more than a lot of what is on, flipped the channel between Braves game and FSU/Mich rerun last night.
I was cheering at the tv, and my wife asked "What game is on?"
FSU - Michigan.
"Baseball?"
No, football....
<silence>
.....from last year
eye roll and walks off

And I agree, thats all I am looking for. I also stopped watching Mtv when they stopped playing music videos but I will acknowledge I am no longer the target demographic for either business.

I suspect espn overestimated a continual growth in ratings and used these assumptions to cover all these new future bloated contracts. Expenses quickly outgrew ratings and now they are scrambling to cut costs. While Danny comes across as a good guy ................ I would hate to think a show like Finebaum is the strategy on how to make money in this business.

For the contracts, I completely think they overpaid <even ignoring the expected growth, they just overpaid IMO> however the savings in salary cuts is a drop in the bucket to the overpayments they have tied up on contracts. This fixes the issue for one week, they still need to resolve the core issues 1) too many on air personalities 2) too many YUGE service contracts 3) expanded channels beyond viable / needed numbers. I think they have 14 or so platforms.

The thing with Danny for me was he was EVERYWHERE. I don't know if he was getting paid flat rate, contract per show / hour etc, but he seemed VERY versatile. I confess, perhaps biased, but football is his 3rd favorite sport. Radio show, many fill ins on M&M, play by play for baseball and football, plus the college football show(s) he was on. Hey, their decision but I bet he lands somewhere. I think the people ESPN left indicates the direction they want to go. Focusing on the E and not the S. By keeping the four I called out above, including Finebaum, they are tipping their hand to the future strategy. But lets face it, Finebaum's method works, his antics get eyes and he is a cornerstone draw for SEC and Bama fans.

While I dont think there is some "anti conservative" "anti-white guy" drive for the cuts, they certainly are showing the future needs to have a more blended demographic of presenters. I think they are still looking for the cool black guy role to fill in for Stuart Scott. I don't know for certain the demographics of the employees at ESPN, I would put solid money on them having more white guys than any other demographic, so it stands to reason more white guys would be on the chopping block.

Last edited:
Paranoia running a bit high this morning? They "seem" like republicans with "prevlidged" backgrounds? Funny b/c I'd say DK is prob a democrat.

Regardless, you can pretty much guarantee no one was fired based on personal politics that seem so vague to the viewer we can't definitively tell.

The bottom line is there's (apparently) no need for so many personalities across three 24 hour sports networks. Look at CNN and fxnews, they run 24 hour "news" networks and have half or fewer the on-air personalities, it was stupid for ESPN to load up so much in the first place.

It sucks for DK b/c he's a Nole, but honestly, I have no beef with ESPN laying off so many on-air personalities. What disappoints me is all the local analysts they let go, those folks were the only real "journalists" ESPN had and they're gone, which tells us a bit about the direction they want to head in :(

Not paranoid, but doesn't add up. And Danny more so than Trent.

Did any of the fires, outside of Danny, have a their own show?? And Danny had a good show at that, not saying this because he's a nole either.

They only reason that kind of makes sense to me is ESPN having him profiled as their ACC expert. A lot of the niche guys were let go. But I didn't see him limited to the ACC while on air.

Did any of the fires, outside of Danny, have a their own show?? And Danny had a good show at that, not saying this because he's a nole either.

They only reason that kind of makes sense to me is ESPN having him profiled as their ACC expert. A lot of the niche guys were let go. But I didn't see him limited to the ACC while on air.

So far, Kanell is the only M-F host on ESPN Radio who lost his gig, and he appears to be the only in-studio college football "expert" to be let go (most of the other college football-related talent that got the axe were field reporters); the biggest surprises today have been college basketball expert Andy Katz, and 3 different MLB color analysts (Dallas Braden, Doug Glanville, and Raul Ibanez).

I suppose once the dust settles, we'll all be scratching our heads at some of the "talent" that was retained....

I suppose once the dust settles, we'll all be scratching our heads at some of the "talent" that was retained....

I don't think there is any question on that.

I would love to see the real criteria they used to make their decisions, just as a curiosity. And how each of the firings supported that future vision.

ESPN (ABC / Disney) is the same outfit that worshiped Brent Musburger, and just gave Stephen A Smith a new time slot. Enough said.

Reactions: Bill From Tampa

and so from this you extracted that DK was most likely fired for his political views, which he apparently didn't discuss enough for either of us determine his leanings?

talk about creating a polarizing issue where none exists. smh. such an unnecessary use of politics to drive a wedge.

Reactions: Hayduke GW
and so from this you extracted that DK was most likely fired for his political views, which he apparently didn't discuss enough for either of us determine his leanings?

talk about creating a polarizing issue where none exists. smh. such an unnecessary use of politics to drive a wedge.

no...that it may have been political. That some folks might not have liked working with him for whatever reason it may be...a bad cultural fit.

It's not uncommon for uppers to can people when the get the opportunity simply because they don't like them.

no...that it may have been political. That some folks might not have liked working with him for whatever reason it may be...a bad cultural fit.

It's not uncommon for uppers to can people when the get the opportunity simply because they don't like them.
you chose a pretty specific reason...

now you're back tracking and say it maybe was political or a cultural fit, but again have no facts whatsoever to back up this wild ass guess about why he was let go.

perhaps it's because he had a higher pay band or his persona was redundant with others on a network that employed way too many personalities. perhaps it's because he routinely called the sec out. no you chose the one reason there's no evidence whatsoever to support just to reinforce some odd paranoia of your own.

you chose a pretty specific reason...

now you're back tracking and say it maybe was political or a cultural fit, but again have no facts whatsoever to back up this wild ass guess about why he was let go.

perhaps it's because he had a higher pay band or his persona was redundant with others on a network that employed way too many personalities. perhaps it's because he routinely called the sec out. no you chose the one reason there's no evidence whatsoever to support just to reinforce some odd paranoia of your own.

Dude...you're stating the obvious. Everyone was technically let go because of the reasons you just mentioned, you're not saying anything new. That's the beauty of a mass layoff. You can lump them all together.

I'm simply saying that MAYBE it was because of subjective reasons as well. Because for me, the reasons you and everyone with a mouth have mentioned as to why he was lumped in with the other 100 doesn't add up. He and a small handful of others just don't fit the beat writer mold. Danny had a show with his name on it, a good show! (IMO)

As far as the republican, cocky privileged up brininging part...there was no real thought put into that. If I said that maybe an executives wife had a crush on him. Would that had been better for you? It could be anything...but something outside of the obvious....again, MAYBE, it's just a thought, not saying a fact.

Are you bothered that I said republican, cocky and privileged? Is that why acting like this? Seems weird you aren't letting this go. Wait...am I just being "paranoid" again?

My guess is that at least part of the reason DK was fired was that he wasn't controversial/loud enough. That's what I like about him. He is knowledgeable and objective. He will call out people, teams and issues, but in a respectful manner without going over the top. If ESPN wants to go the route of absurd trolls like Finebaum, so be it. I won't be watching or listening their revised agenda. They will lose me from the DK shows.

BTW, I don't believe the politics angle on firing (other than they like hosts who are over the top opinionated and controversial), but for the record, Danny is a registered Republican.

Reactions: DanC78
Seemed like a straight bean counter cut...you make x, your show makes less than x, you're cut. The news guys got cut because ESPN's bean counters convinced management that they can replacement them with kids from Syracuse for pennies on the dollar.

There is not a lot more thought put into something like this...y'all are thinking about it too much.

Reactions: OrlandNole
There have been many threads even here on how to cut cable. Big info: the majority of the country does NOT give a rip about sports on their TV. People also want to cut escalating cable bills. Pretty simple to add up.

Politics? Goodness. People will believe all kinds of crap.

I fit right in their demo and do not give one rip about 99% of their non-game programming and the same with 95% of their live games either.

Reactions: MIKE_G
Yep, because out of 330M people they were getting ~110M subscribers by default. Then cable bills jumped out of control. Has zero to do because politics.

Yep, because out of 330M people they were getting ~110M subscribers by default. Then cable bills jumped out of control. Has zero to do because politics.

There are several contributing factors...politics being one. There are numerous articles on it..Cord cutting, massive salaries and paying huge fees to the NFL etc
I am not going to sit and watch 2 loudmouth hosts babble about how wrong cops are for killing someone, how society has wronged certain races and so forth. That's fine if they think that but it's suppose to be a sports program, not a blatant liberal talk show mixing sports in...

BTW- ESPN had its highest subscription of 100 million in 2011.

How long before the arm's race of facility upgrades and coaching salaries slows down?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT