ADVERTISEMENT

Facts that point to Bob Stoops as new Coach [Updated 11/24]

Nole_Dynasty

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
Below is a summary of interesting pieces of the coaching puzzle that point to Bob Stoops when put together: No inside knowledge, simply amalgamating interesting posts from Warchant posters (credit provided with tag). New posts in blue.

Bob Stoops is a done deal as evidenced by:

1) The governmental requirement that all open job positions must have multiple people interviewed. While Stoops is already a done deal, the Admin is required to interview multiple candidates...hence names like Campbell, Norvell, Franklin, etc.

2) Odell was at least going to be given a courtesy interview. This couldn’t happen until after the game which is why his interview was on Sunday (11/17). While not a college requirement, also ticks the Rooney Rule requirement (which is an NFL only obligation).

3) I just have to believe that the Admin wouldn’t have fired Taggart mid-season without something already in the works.

4) Glenn Sugiyama (leading the search firm) is BIG on secrecy and not letting names leak (if the interviewed candidate leaks they’re name, they are out). He's the best at what he does which would include the secrecy and purposeful misdirection. Read the new article from the Chicago Tribune of intentional "smokescreens" Sugiyama has used in previous coach searches.

5) The orchestrated “Stoops is out” from the FSU side purposefully leaking this to multiple sources.

6) So many insiders suddenly going silent (e.g. @goldmom , @amckinnon317 , @freeman333_2005 , FSUeyeDoc, etc) and not wavering on their original scoop that Bob Stoops will be the next coach. @freeman333_2005 Doubling down on 11/19 that an enhanced offer was put in front of Stoops. @Nole128 however never went silent and continues to adamantly confirm that Stoops will be the next coach.

7) If we presented what was said to be one of the biggest deals of all time and BGB backed away, one would think it would be nearly impossible to keep that under wraps and the media would be all over it. Nothing in this process seems to add up which I think is 100% by design. (Credit to @funky nole )

8) Coburn both mentioning Bob Stoops name and also that we would have a coach named by the end of the month. While possible, securing one of the other names thrown out there might be tough by end of November given games being played that last weekend and potential desire to coach premiere bowl game (e.g. Fleck).

9) The clear misdirection being given to Dot and others on Odell being hired.
Per @PopsNole , "FSU did not just fire Taggart 1/2 way through year 2 to hire Odell. Much less are they basing the decision to hire him on a single game against UF. This is full misdirection."

10) Flight history potentially showing FSU admin visiting with Bob's new potential coaches as reported by @iam4noles , "Not that I know of, but there is a plane that has made numerous stops over the past week to known locations of Stoops or people close to him and Tallahassee.

1. Within 30 mi of XFL headquarters last week when Bob was there.
2. Near the home of his agent the next day.
3. Dallas over weekend
3. Texas A&M (His old S/C coach is there)
4. Ohio St (Their OC was with Bob for years)

5. Flew to Tallahassee yesterday, then over to Thomasville GA. Then this morning, it made a trip to Tuscaloosa and then back to Tallahassee. (Brother Mike on staff at Bama)"
Flight-History.png

Flight-History-2.jpg

11) Stoops was asked on Wednesday (11/13) about returning to coach college football. His response:

"Well you never know what the Lord is going to bring you,” Stoops said.

"Everybody wants ya to define your life at every age. At 50, they wanted me to know what I was going to do the rest of my life. And at 55, and now at 59, everyone thinks you gotta...you know, who knows what I’ll be doing next year or the year after.

"You don’t know what you’re going to be doing next year. And the good Lord is the only one who knows. We’ll see where things end up for me."

12) Why the delay in naming Stoops as Coach? He's currently putting together a staff..theory below from @Coach Ken Locke
"But say Bob stoops is named the coach in the future and is currently putting together a coaching staff. Many of these coaches would be coaching other teams who may be contending for conference championships or national championships. It makes sense that a lot of this would be done in secret to not be a distraction to the other teams. Realistically there is no rush to name a new coach or set of coaches before the Florida game, so there is time to put all of this together."

13) The timeline makes perfect sense. Bob Stoops has all the leverage. If Bob either walked away from the initial offer or said he wanted more time, the ball is completely in his court as all other candidates are busy coaching and he knows he has until the end of November to decide.

14) The Renaissance Campaign. As noted by @iraschoffel in his most recent article , the FSU admin would not go through the process of overnighting these donation requests if they were not swinging for the fences for their next coach. As suggested by @NoleFinity , "could a leak or announcement come soon to garner the maximum buzz and contributions?"

15) FSU has experience with playing hardball. When negotiations with Jimbo Fisher weren't going well, the university through Bobby Bowden noted that we were moving in another direction, only to name Jimbo the OC two days later.

16) Mark Stoops "pulls" his name from consideration. Let's be honest, FSU gave Mark a courtesy interview and told him no thank you so Mark did what anyone would do in the professional world, made it seem like it was him who walked away from the opportunity. Another potential indication that FSU has a coach already in hand? Why else would we say no to a legitimate candidate in Mark Stoops. Also, for a good laugh at UK, read some of their comments in the thread "Mark said no to FSU" on their free Rivals message board.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News