ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Ridicule Leads Soccer Team to Abandon Logo

Rowsdower

Star Player
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2014
Here is the link, this took place last month. Unfortunate that the ownership of a third-tier professional soccer team seems to value its fans' opinions more than FSU. Took them less than a day to gauge negative fan reaction and scrap their new logo.

This, along with Jerry Kutz's comments in another thread that FSU is closely monitoring the situation with a "wait and see" approach prior to making a final decision on the logo, should encourage those of us in the 92% to continue voicing our displeasure whether it be by letter, telephone, wallet, online discussion, etc. In other words...keep it up. I believe we can change this thing. Despite what some may tell you, "getting over it" and "keeping quiet" will not get it done.

(Apologies for not putting this in one of the other logo threads, but I'm not sure which is the "official" logo thread anymore, and frankly, I thought this article deserved a thread of its own.)

Man, that thread titled NEW LOGO THREAD that is 6 pages long is hard to spot.

Originally posted by runkpanole:
I count 6 besides mine, one of which is locked. Plus the threads get sent to Tomahawk at 7.

Originally posted by Rowsdower:

I count 6 besides mine, one of which is locked. Plus the threads get sent to Tomahawk at 7.
So, of course, we must litter the board with another thread.

There is also the pinned thread that asks to not start a bunch of new threads
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

The moderators said that when threads get to 6 pages+ that it is time to open a new thread because mobile users have a difficult time with extremely long threads...

It is amazing how clueless many companies and individuals are when it comes to rebranding...

So, of course, we must litter the board with another thread.
And yet, you clicked on it. Hopefully you read the article, it is interesting.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by DSTNole:
The moderators said that when threads get to 6 pages+ that it is time to open a new thread because mobile users have a difficult time with extremely long threads...

It is amazing how clueless many companies and individuals are when it comes to rebranding...
Arrogance = Ignorance

Originally posted by wrdsmth:

Arrogance = Ignorance
Is it sad that I am envious of a third-tier soccer team's leadership?

Louisville City FC introduced its logo last week, to the outrage and disappointment of fans and designers who called it ugly, amateurish, and quickly demonstrated that they could do better. It took less than a day for the team to admit it screwed up, and announce it would hold a fan contest to pick a new one.

Arrogance = Ignorance

Louisville City FC introduced its logo last week, to the outrage and disappointment of fans and designers who called it ugly, amateurish, and quickly demonstrated that they could do better. It took less than a day for the team to admit it screwed up, and announce it would hold a fan contest to pick a new one.
Yes, it is sad.

This, along with Jerry Kutz's comments in another thread that FSU is closely monitoring the situation with a "wait and see" approach prior to making a final decision on the logo,
I don't recall seeing this from Jerry in another thread, but it's unfortunate if true, as it is evidence that Jerry has joined the spin team of spitting out half truths in order to quell the fire.

Perhaps the Boosters are taking a "wait and see" approach before making a final decision as to whether to support the new logo or not, but FSU (the administration and athletic department) are certainly NOT taking such an approach on a final decision as evidenced by the changes at Moore, various other athletic offices (including soccer and softball), the IPF, the band door and scoreboard at Doak, uniforms, and various other signage around campus, all of which has already cost the University tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. The only way to make a change is to make sure the issue does not go away.

This post was edited on 7/18 10:58 AM by balognole

Originally posted by balognole:

This, along with Jerry Kutz's comments in another thread that FSU is closely monitoring the situation with a "wait and see" approach prior to making a final decision on the logo,
I don't recall seeing this from Jerry in another thread, but it's unfortunate if true, as it is evidence that Jerry has joined the spin team of spitting out half truths in order to quell the fire.

Perhaps the Boosters are taking a "wait and see" approach before making a final decision as the whether support the new logo or not, but FSU (the administration and athletic department) are certainly NOT taking such an approach on a final decision as evidenced by the changes at Moore, various other athletic offices (including soccer and softball), the IPF, the band door and scoreboard at Doak, uniforms, and various other signage around campus, all of which has already cost the University tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. The only way to make a change is to make sure the issue does not go away.
I took it to mean that FSU was going to complete the roll out that is still underway (including the changes you mentioned), and then sit back and re-evaluate. But yes, you're correct that it is an ominous sign that permanent changes are being made all over campus.

If I had to guess, I predict that Chief Walmart will eventually be scrapped. It is simply too ugly and universally reviled to last 40 years like the old logo. The timeline for such a decision, however, is anybody's guess. Could be a couple months (at the end of the football season), could be several years from now.

You mean that actual business people, who need the support of their fans, not those having millions of dollars coming in from tv contracts and a turn a blind eye booster organization can make a decision like this is one day? Shocking.

Reading the comments below the article, most especially the tongue in cheek put down of the designers was right on point. Some of the fan designed logos were much better than those that were 'professionally done'.

Thanks for posting.

Their hoping for another national title to distract us fans and booster donors from the new logo. Plain and simple. The thought process of the people involved with the new logo roll out is childish and embarrassing to our University. Heads should roll after this failed attempt to rebrand one of the most iconic logos in sports.

Originally posted by balognole:

Perhaps the Boosters are taking a "wait and see" approach before making a final decision as the whether support the new logo or not, but FSU (the administration and athletic department) are certainly NOT taking such an approach on a final decision as evidenced by the changes at Moore, various other athletic offices (including soccer and softball), the IPF, the band door and scoreboard at Doak, uniforms, and various other signage around campus, all of which has already cost the University tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. The only way to make a change is to make sure the issue does not go away.
I took it to mean that FSU was going to complete the roll out that is still underway (including the changes you mentioned), and then sit back and re-evaluate. But yes, you're correct that it is an ominous sign that permanent changes are being made all over campus.

If I had to guess, I predict that Chief Walmart will eventually be scrapped. It is simply too ugly and universally reviled to last 40 years like the old logo. The timeline for such a decision, however, is anybody's guess. Could be a couple months (at the end of the football season), could be several years from now.
I agree with this interpretation as well. The season has hardly started, and a majority of fans have yet to step onto campus to see, for themselves, the new changes. My guess is, if the reaction is overwhelmingly negative when flocks of fans arrive to Tallahassee from else-where and it impacts revenue, they'll re-evaluate. But as of now, they've made the investment, they're going to go through with ALL changes (logo isn't the only change they're making) and if they need to revert back to Old-logo, they'll do it.

The response to "deal with it" is now "wait and see".

Originally posted by vanole35:

Arrogance = Ignorance

Yes, it is sad.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
if we had a "fan vote" to decide the winning logo, then the winning logo wouldbe more hated on this board. The selection voting process for our logo used was a "Republic" process, if we were to use a "democratic" version, IE, majority of votes decides then every gator fani know would vote for the goofiest logo.

We are "Republic" for a reason.

Originally posted by CarlsbadNole:
Originally posted by vanole35:

Arrogance = Ignorance

Yes, it is sad.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
if we had a "fan vote" to decide the winning logo, then the winning logo wouldbe more hated on this board. The selection voting process for our logo used was a "Republic" process, if we were to use a "democratic" version, IE, majority of votes decides then every gator fani know would vote for the goofiest logo.

We are "Republic" for a reason.
I don't recall voting for these people. We don't have elections for the athletic department (and Monk Bonasorte should be thankful for that). If we did, I guarantee the candidate running on the "change back the logo" platform would win. So sorry, I don't think the republic analogy is accurate.

And I'm not necessarily proposing that we hold a "fan vote" for the new logo, but if we did, the winner would be far more popular than than Chief Walmart. Don't believe me? Just review Dr. Hedlund's results. The Jodi Slade version would get at the very least 40% of fan support, unlike Chief Walmart's 8%.

We don't mind change. We are upset by change that is ugly, and worse than the previous version.

Everton in the English Premier League changed their logo without fan input. It lasted a year and during that year the club asked the season ticket holders their opinion and the opinion was overwhelming to go back to the original logo. And they have.

Everton

Originally posted by FSUJay:
Everton in the English Premier League changed their logo without fan input. It lasted a year and during that year the club asked the season ticket holders their opinion and the opinion was overwhelming to go back to the original logo. And they have.
Clearly those Everton fans were overreacting, should have just "gotten over it," and supported their team. What terrible fans they have /sarcasm

Great article, thanks for sharing. The parallels are undeniable. I found this blurb interesting:

The opinion of only a small number of supporters was sought originally.

"It has been a full-on weekend for many Evertonians and undeniably you have spoken to us loudly and clearly. We have listened," said an Everton statement to supporters.
"We are sorry. It is clear that you wanted to be involved in the selection of our new club crest.
"We regret we didn't ask every Evertonian about something that matters so much to every one of you.

I live in Louisville and follow the sports and business scene here very closely, I can assure you the logo of a minor league soccer team who hasn't even played a game here is a topic of conversation on literally maybe 10 people's minds in the entire city.

This logo controversy and contest may have gotten 2 paragraphs in the newspaper, no talk on radio or anywhere else. To say their fans were "outraged and disappointed", what fans you can't even buy a ticket for the team yet...

For those of you that want to see the dramatically different new logo click on the link. I'm sure many (10s) will hate that one too. The skyline, yeah that's like supper way better and cooler or something.

http://www.louisvillecityfc.com/

Originally posted by BigTorsk:

I live in Louisville and follow the sports and business scene here very closely, I can assure you the logo of a minor league soccer team who hasn't even played a game here is a topic of conversation on literally maybe 10 people's minds in the entire city.

This logo controversy and contest may have gotten 2 paragraphs in the newspaper, no talk on radio or anywhere else. To say their fans were "outraged and disappointed", what fans you can't even buy a ticket for the team yet...

For those of you that want to see the dramatically different new logo click on the link. I'm sure many (10s) will hate that one too. The skyline, yeah that's like supper way better and cooler or something.
Is an English Premier League club "big time" enough for you? Link.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT