ADVERTISEMENT

Finally saw Hamilton last night...

kc78

Seminole Insider
Nov 25, 2002
And it was soooo worth the wait.

Has anyone else here had the chance to see it in person? I found last minute, cheap tickets in Chicago and was just blown away by how amazing it was in person.

Check that one off the bucket list.

I saw it Chicago earlier this year - it was pretty awesome. To be able to take all of that history and tell a compelling story - in rap lyrics, no less - is amazing.

Saw it back in May while it was in Atlanta. Definitely lives up to every bit of the hype. Great show and one I’d have no issue going to see again.

I saw it here in DC. Surprised you found cheap last minute tickets. I had to go through the whole pre-sale lottery and get them 6 months in advance.

I agree that it was SOOOOO worth it. By far the best ting I've seen live. I've seen a LOT of musicals, operas, orchestra performances. Hamilton was on a whole other level - the story, the songs, it was awesome.

Reactions: kc78 and RTM58
Got tickets and giving them to the wife for Christmas. Going to see it at the Broward Center in January.

Saw it this summer. It was decent, but I didn’t think it was as good as people made it out to be. I was much more entertained by Book of Mormon and would see that again.

Saw it this summer. It was decent, but I didn’t think it was as good as people made it out to be. I was much more entertained by Book of Mormon and would see that again.

Jersey Boys was the best one I have ever seen. When it ended I could have stayed in my seat and watched it again. Hamilton was really good, definitely not the best ive ever seen

Reactions: iowanole1
Jersey Boys was the best one I have ever seen. When it ended I could have stayed in my seat and watched it again. Hamilton was really good, definitely not the best ive ever seen

How did you and Connie like the theater in Chicago?

He'll be here in Tally @ 7 tomorrow night.*

r960-aa74e9123447f24f87ab04dd3683a0e0.jpg

*--Date edited courtesy of a heads-up from @ReliableOstrich.

Last edited:
My daughter danced in the Macys Thanksgiving Parade in 2015 and they took all 700 dancers to see it on Broadway with the original cast. At 14 years old, she was obsessed with it.

3 years later she realizes just how lucky she was to see it when she did. She danced in the parade again this year and they saw Alladin on Broadway. Although the show was great, it was a let down!

*poor old mom got nothing but the bills. LOL

My daughter danced in the Macys Thanksgiving Parade in 2015 and they took all 700 dancers to see it on Broadway with the original cast. At 14 years old, she was obsessed with it.

3 years later she realizes just how lucky she was to see it when she did. She danced in the parade again this year and they saw Alladin on Broadway. Although the show was great, it was a let down!

I saw Aladdin in NYC and it was great. The genie is phenomenal!

On that note, here's a video (that you've possibly already seen) that will just make you feel plain good.

Saw it back in May while it was in Atlanta. Definitely lives up to every bit of the hype. Great show and one I’d have no issue going to see again.
Yes, it's one of those shows that is just so brilliant I'd love to see it again. It'll be in New Orleans starting next year. I'm hoping to eventually see it there as well.

Wow, that really is special. What I would give to have been able to see it with the original cast. The Chicago cast was outstanding, but there were a few of them that didn't measure up to the original cast, but to be fair, I don't know that anybody can measure up to a few of those roles.

I actually thought the guy playing Hamilton in Chicago was better than Lin Manuel however.

I saw it here in DC. Surprised you found cheap last minute tickets. I had to go through the whole pre-sale lottery and get them 6 months in advance.

I agree that it was SOOOOO worth it. By far the best ting I've seen live. I've seen a LOT of musicals, operas, orchestra performances. Hamilton was on a whole other level - the story, the songs, it was awesome.
It's nearing it's end of life in Chicago, so I think pretty much everyone who wants to see it and demanded to from that area has. This is the first time I've been and seen ticket prices that low.

Obviously not on the same level, but we recently saw A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theater in DC. Good show, but the historical aspect of seeing a play there is what was so cool.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Ok, I'll be slightly contrarian. The Hamilton soundtrack took my family by storm several years ago. My oldest heard it, recommended it to us, and all of us listened to the hell out of it for a long time. I couldn't count how many times we've listened to it individually and together on road trips. Any of us can certainly sing along to every line (other than the Lafayette rap LOL).

I definitely think the music is the best thing that's ever been created in musical theater, and it's probably the greatest popular artistic creation in my lifetime. I love it and admire it.

This year, we finally saw it in Atlanta. I managed to "win" the right to drop close to a grand on tickets, and took the kids. It was...fine.

Well, it was more than fine, it was great. We all enjoyed it. I would be happy to go see it five more times. No complaints.

But here's the thing to me...as a musical, to me about 80% of what makes it special and remarkable is there on that soundtrack. If we had never seen it, I'd always really, really want to see it...but now that I've seen it, my love and appreciate for it would be almost the same as if I never had. That's not to say there isn't some really impressive choreography and design, there is, and I'm sure I could pick up more and more with repeated viewings. But the nature of it, with a relatively sparse set design, the extremely dense lyrics, and too much forward propulsion to really allow for major "acting" showcases (including no real belting ballads for the male cast), I don't actually feel like it NEEDS to be seen to be appreciated. It should be seen, and it's worth it, but I don't know that it HAS to be.

Now, someone who was going in cold, or had just not already absorbed every note and word from the soundtrack into their molecular structure might have a totally different opinion. But I felt like I "knew" it going into it, and seeing it live didn't disabuse me of that.

To me, musicals definitely fall along a spectrum like that. My all-time favorite show, and the only one who's soundtrack rivals Hamilton for me, is Jesus Christ Superstar. To me, that show is 90%+ there on the soundtrack. I've seen probably a dozen different versions, between live and taped versions, and at the end of the day there's no way to stage that thing that does justice to the soundtrack (although I have my favorites). I think the soundtrack to staging value is even much more slanted toward soundtrack than Hamilton, but at least JCS has "Gethsemane", which if you see a GREAT rendition of it live is really amazing and spine tingling, and outshines anything you get from the soundtrack. I don't know if Hamilton had that one number like that, that only live does it real justice, and certainly not from the male cast.

On the other end of the spectrum are things that to me have almost all their value in seeing it live. The most obvious example to me is Phantom of the Opera. It is a great spectacle, but unless you REALLY like fake opera, that soundtrack is about 6 minutes of amazing wrapped by two cds worth of slogging. You can't make a lot of sense out of it from the soundtrack alone, and most of it's boring as hell without the visuals. You really have to see that on stage to appreciate it in my opinion.

There's plenty of things like that as well. Jersey Boys for example...the soundtrack is just covers of Four Seasons tunes. Ok, I guess? But seeing the "performances" is everything with that show (which I liked a lot but I also think pretty well sucks, and yes I know it doesn't make sense).

I think either way is fine, I just thought Hamilton fell a little bit on the "seeing it live optional" side considering what it costs to actually see it live.

Ok, I'll be slightly contrarian. The Hamilton soundtrack took my family by storm several years ago. My oldest heard it, recommended it to us, and all of us listened to the hell out of it for a long time. I couldn't count how many times we've listened to it individually and together on road trips. Any of us can certainly sing along to every line (other than the Lafayette rap LOL).

I definitely think the music is the best thing that's ever been created in musical theater, and it's probably the greatest popular artistic creation in my lifetime. I love it and admire it.

This year, we finally saw it in Atlanta. I managed to "win" the right to drop close to a grand on tickets, and took the kids. It was...fine.

Well, it was more than fine, it was great. We all enjoyed it. I would be happy to go see it five more times. No complaints.

But here's the thing to me...as a musical, to me about 80% of what makes it special and remarkable is there on that soundtrack. If we had never seen it, I'd always really, really want to see it...but now that I've seen it, my love and appreciate for it would be almost the same as if I never had. That's not to say there isn't some really impressive choreography and design, there is, and I'm sure I could pick up more and more with repeated viewings. But the nature of it, with a relatively sparse set design, the extremely dense lyrics, and too much forward propulsion to really allow for major "acting" showcases (including no real belting ballads for the male cast), I don't actually feel like it NEEDS to be seen to be appreciated. It should be seen, and it's worth it, but I don't know that it HAS to be.

Now, someone who was going in cold, or had just not already absorbed every note and word from the soundtrack into their molecular structure might have a totally different opinion. But I felt like I "knew" it going into it, and seeing it live didn't disabuse me of that.

To me, musicals definitely fall along a spectrum like that. My all-time favorite show, and the only one who's soundtrack rivals Hamilton for me, is Jesus Christ Superstar. To me, that show is 90%+ there on the soundtrack. I've seen probably a dozen different versions, between live and taped versions, and at the end of the day there's no way to stage that thing that does justice to the soundtrack (although I have my favorites). I think the soundtrack to staging value is even much more slanted toward soundtrack than Hamilton, but at least JCS has "Gethsemane", which if you see a GREAT rendition of it live is really amazing and spine tingling, and outshines anything you get from the soundtrack. I don't know if Hamilton had that one number like that, that only live does it real justice, and certainly not from the male cast.

On the other end of the spectrum are things that to me have almost all their value in seeing it live. The most obvious example to me is Phantom of the Opera. It is a great spectacle, but unless you REALLY like fake opera, that soundtrack is about 6 minutes of amazing wrapped by two cds worth of slogging. You can't make a lot of sense out of it from the soundtrack alone, and most of it's boring as hell without the visuals. You really have to see that on stage to appreciate it in my opinion.

There's plenty of things like that as well. Jersey Boys for example...the soundtrack is just covers of Four Seasons tunes. Ok, I guess? But seeing the "performances" is everything with that show (which I liked a lot but I also think pretty well sucks, and yes I know it doesn't make sense).

I think either way is fine, I just thought Hamilton fell a little bit on the "seeing it live optional" side considering what it costs to actually see it live.

Oh I don't disagree with this. What makes that is the soundtrack which is brilliant. But seeing it in person is like finally having the icing added to that amazing cake you've been enjoying. I smiled like a little kid at Christmas, cried a few times, and Phillips death scene had never moved me until I saw it acted out. I (And about 15 other people around me) were moved to tears there.

So no, it's power isn't in it's acting (Although that revolving stage does add some beautiful movement and choreography that I've never seen anywhere else before). But to me that's the brilliance. You get so involved into it, that all of that just disappears and you're in that story without distraction.

Oh I don't disagree with this. What makes that is the soundtrack which is brilliant. But seeing it in person is like finally having the icing added to that amazing cake you've been enjoying. I smiled like a little kid at Christmas, cried a few times, and Phillips death scene had never moved me until I saw it acted out. I (And about 15 other people around me) were moved to tears there.

So no, it's power isn't in it's acting (Although that revolving stage does add some beautiful movement and choreography that I've never seen anywhere else before). But to me that's the brilliance. You get so involved into it, that all of that just disappears and you're in that story without distraction.

Agree with all that. I would call it the icing on the cake too. The thing is, if we hadn't seen it, it would feel like a big hole in my life. After seeing it, the hole it filled wasn't as big as I thought. It's fine. It was still great.

I also think that it would have been a much more moving experience if we'd seen it in the intimacy of a broadway theater, instead of the giant theater we saw it in, or even were a little closer. The Fox Theater in Atlanta is so big, everything suffers a bit from the size.

I would like to see it again to focus more on the movement around the stage. I watched it a lot this time, but you can only focus so much on everything going on at once, and I was really watching the dancers.

Also, it's possible the road show we saw wasn't the best actors imaginable. I was a little surprised at the dry eyes at Philips death scene, and my girls literally cry at that part when we listen in the car. Every time I see Les Miserables, people are bawling, and I expected the same at that part, but it was pretty silent. It's possible that the actors didn't drive home the emotional beats as much as some casts...it kind of felt that way when I was watching it.

Wow, that really is special. What I would give to have been able to see it with the original cast. The Chicago cast was outstanding, but there were a few of them that didn't measure up to the original cast, but to be fair, I don't know that anybody can measure up to a few of those roles.

I actually thought the guy playing Hamilton in Chicago was better than Lin Manuel however.

Kevin, It's funny. LMM has always been considered the weak link of the OBC. I saw it in August 2016 just after some of the OBC (including LMM) left. I did, however, get to see some of the OBC and they were amazing, especially Chris Jackson as George Washington.

What I had to fight the entire time I saw it was forgetting the cast recording and enjoying the musical for what it was live. I caught myself a couple of times going "this isn't how it sounds on the recording" and had to consciously stop myself from doing it to really enjoy it. Also, there's SO much going on with the choreography, it's hard to take it all in.

So then I saw it again in November 2016 and enjoyed it a lot more. It's a once-in-a-lifetime show, IMO.

Kevin, It's funny. LMM has always been considered the weak link of the OBC. I saw it in August 2016 just after some of the OBC (including LMM) left. I did, however, get to see some of the OBC and they were amazing, especially Chris Jackson as George Washington.

What I had to fight the entire time I saw it was forgetting the cast recording and enjoying the musical for what it was live. I caught myself a couple of times going "this isn't how it sounds on the recording" and had to consciously stop myself from doing it to really enjoy it. Also, there's SO much going on with the choreography, it's hard to take it all in.

So then I saw it again in November 2016 and enjoyed it a lot more. It's a once-in-a-lifetime show, IMO.
yeah, that's true. There were a few characters I struggled slightly with.

Their Angelica got a little shrill in those really high notes, but otherwise was pretty spot on.

Their George Washington doesn't look the part like Christopher Jackson did, and while his voice was great in the really huge songs, it struggled a bit in the more intimate ones.

And I saw the understudy for the Lafayette/Jefferson role. He was amazing as Jefferson, but struggled a bit with the accent at times for Lafayette.

Outside of those it wasn't real hard for me to just get lost in the show after a few songs. My biggest problem was stopping myself from singing along. They really need to do a version where the crowd gets to join in. I know every word by heart and it was so hard not to just belt out some of those songs like I do in the car. lol

I agree that in the OBC, LMM is nowhere up to the other people in terms of vocal abilities. Maybe acting too on stage, but that doesn't come across as deficient on the soundtrack. But to me his voice and delivery is so distinctive, whether it's "weak" or not is besides the point, someone else in that role just isn't the same.

About a year ago I saw a local-ish production of In The Heights. Pulled actors from Atlanta and the Southeast, but not a national tour or anything. The guy that played the LMM role was vocally an exact reproduction of LMM's voice and cadence. It was really freaky, I don't know how much is him being a natural match, and how much was practiced and perfected, but all I could think about is that the guy is going to work forever, when Hamilton crosses over to being able to be licensed for regional/local productions. I don't know if the guy has the dance and acting chops for a national Hamilton production, but he'll be playing Hamilton and Usnavy at city level productions for as long as he can stand up.

I liked In The Heights quite a bit too. It's not Hamilton, but I found it very enjoyable and liked the music. I've heard that there was an In The Heights movie in the works, and I actually think it would make a great movie musical, in some ways probably more translatable to a movie than Hamilton.

I agree that in the OBC, LMM is nowhere up to the other people in terms of vocal abilities. Maybe acting too on stage, but that doesn't come across as deficient on the soundtrack. But to me his voice and delivery is so distinctive, whether it's "weak" or not is besides the point, someone else in that role just isn't the same.

About a year ago I saw a local-ish production of In The Heights. Pulled actors from Atlanta and the Southeast, but not a national tour or anything. The guy that played the LMM role was vocally an exact reproduction of LMM's voice and cadence. It was really freaky, I don't know how much is him being a natural match, and how much was practiced and perfected, but all I could think about is that the guy is going to work forever, when Hamilton crosses over to being able to be licensed for regional/local productions. I don't know if the guy has the dance and acting chops for a national Hamilton production, but he'll be playing Hamilton and Usnavy at city level productions for as long as he can stand up.

I liked In The Heights quite a bit too. It's not Hamilton, but I found it very enjoyable and liked the music. I've heard that there was an In The Heights movie in the works, and I actually think it would make a great movie musical, in some ways probably more translatable to a movie than Hamilton.

Hamilton would make a terrible movie. If they want to translate it then it needed to simply be a recording of the broadway exactly as is. Trying to take it out of that stage portion and make it more realistic would destroy it I think. In The Heights I can see as a very good movie since its a much more traditional staging.

Hamilton would make a terrible movie. If they want to translate it then it needed to simply be a recording of the broadway exactly as is. Trying to take it out of that stage portion and make it more realistic would destroy it I think. In The Heights I can see as a very good movie since its a much more traditional staging.

Yeah, I think a movie would still be worthy and be a big hit, as a chance to see (presumably) the original cast in those roles for the only time for the vast majority of those people. But as for standing up as a movie for it's own sake, probably not. If the movie comes 30 years from now like Les Mis with totally different actors, I don't think there's much value in it.

But yes, I think In the Heights could make an excellent movie musical, with or without the original cast, although it would be nice to see it soon with the original cast more or less.

All I know is that I still enter the lottery periodically, despite having seen it, and will drop everything for a day trip to NYC, Chicago, or wherever to see it again. It's spectacular.

Also, Lin is my bff. He just doesn't know it yet.

All I know is that I still enter the lottery periodically, despite having seen it, and will drop everything for a day trip to NYC, Chicago, or wherever to see it again. It's spectacular.

Also, Lin is my bff. He just doesn't know it yet.
Yeah, when it comes to New Orleans next year I'll probably enter the lottery as often as possible.

How much did you guys pay for tickets? I was able to score a single seat for about $160 when I was in Chicago back in February. I looked at tickets for the Broadway show when I was thinking of taking my wife to NYC in November, and good seats started in the $400-500 range (we ended up taking a cruise instead). That really pushed my limits for what I would spend on a single 2-3 hour experience.

I think I paid just above face (around $200 per ticket) when I saw it the first time. The second time was around $250 per ticket. Seats were ok, not great. Both in NYC.

How much did you guys pay for tickets? I was able to score a single seat for about $160 when I was in Chicago back in February. I looked at tickets for the Broadway show when I was thinking of taking my wife to NYC in November, and good seats started in the $400-500 range (we ended up taking a cruise instead). That really pushed my limits for what I would spend on a single 2-3 hour experience.

In Atlanta, I paid about $200 with fees per ticket, box office price.

Funny, I was in NY with my family when it was just starting to take off culturally. Was a big deal in NY but still hadn't broken nationally. I knew it was a "big deal" but tickets were running about $275-300 secondary market, which I thought was unthinkable, so we saw other shows. If I'd known that a couple years later I'd be paying 2/3 of that to see a road show in Atlanta in a cavernous theater, I would have dropped the extra $400 bucks for the family to be able to have seen the original cast.

I was there on business about eight months later and was thinking "I'll drop $300 to see this", but the tickets were like $1700 by then LOL.

It was nice, we had really good seats about 15 rows from stage. I found them for a good price and called AllNoles and we got 4 next to each other.

It was awesome. Not best show ever but really good and so happy Jamie told me to grab those tickets five days before the show. Great seats and really cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT