ADVERTISEMENT

First Time - Deer Hunting

travnole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Chief Osceola Burial Site
Going Deer Hunting on a buddies property for the first time in N Fl in early November.

been reading and YouTubing for any info and have learned a lot, but what are the biggest do/don’t for this rookie?

I can shoot a rifle and understand gun safety, but as far as deer hunting I’m a newbie.

Going Deer Hunting on a buddies property for the first time in N Fl in early November.

been reading and YouTubing for any info and have learned a lot, but what are the biggest do/don’t for this rookie?

I can shoot a rifle and understand gun safety, but as far as deer hunting I’m a newbie.

Be very, very quiet....and make sure you cover you scent....you can be detected hundreds of yards away. Be safe.

hunt from a tree stand and get into stand before first light. use a rope to bring rifle/shotgun into stand and be sure the chamber is empty and safety on. good luck. check out primitive weapon only joe budd wma.

Reactions: iowanole1
Use a safety harness if using a climbing stand for sure. If a ladder stand with no top rails use one then too. Use a good scent blocker and please wear hunter orange walking to and from the stand. Don't get buck fever, take you time aiming and make sure of your target. Have a good time and just enjoy being in the woods.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
Think we will be hunting from a ground blind. Trail cameras have shown lots of deer moving through the property.

I have fishing license and will be getting hunting w/deer permit before we go.

everything I have seen is that smell and masking your scent is a big deal, huh?

It is even more important to have your scent masked when ground blind hunting.

Think we will be hunting from a ground blind. Trail cameras have shown lots of deer moving through the property.

If you shoot little/young ones, you will never shoot the big/old ones. Remember that a yearling buck is the dumbest thing in the woods. Squirrels are more wary than a young buck.

Assume you have taken the hunters safety course?

Reactions: nynole1
Many moons ago, my college roommate wanted to go deer hunting (he had never been before), so he got a tag and I put him on prime ground. Went out the night before to show him the stand and where the deer most likely would be coming through. Had went skeet shooting with him and he couldn’t hit a thing, so figured combine that with him not truly knowing what he was doing (and combining it with the group staying up until 2am drinking), never figured he would get a deer. He wandered out before dark, and probably 15 minutes after the sun came up, I heard two shots from the house. Other buddy said “I think that was him. Should we go check?” I responded with “remember how he shoots? Doubt he hit anything but a tree.” Half hour later, roommate comes tromping through the door, out of breath, blood pouring from his nose. “I got a deer! Missed the huge one, but didn’t get my gun raised in time to get a shot off!” Asked him what happened to his nose and he proceeds to tell me he was in such a rush to get a shot off, he didn’t have the butt against his shoulder, so it kicked back and hit him in the face! We wandered out, and sure as shit, he nailed a beautiful 13 point buck, right in the spine! Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, I guess!

Reactions: SoddyNole
Assume you have taken the hunters safety course?

yeah just did that, glad i new it was required or would be in scramble mode.

So I take it that it would not be a good idea to fire off a hundred practice rounds on the property the day before the season opens? I’m assuming it Would scare off deer and also probably get our cabin burned to the ground by the neighboring hunters who have been waiting all year for the season to come?

When you are tired an ready to back to camp. Wait 10 more minutes....then wait 10 more. Unless it's dark of course !

Reactions: Deerfuel2
Rifle way easier than bow. Good luck and have fun!

Off the record, Travnole is welcome to hunt deer in my neighborhood. Someone up the street puts out feed and salt licks, there is always a herd of about 20 roaming around. They can be cute but too many becomes a big problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT