ADVERTISEMENT

Fish Bits (5-17-2024)

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Spring football in Florida comes to an end next week. Booker T. Washington, Miami Central and Northwestern will all have their inter-squad scrimmages. We expect FSU linebackers coach Randy Shannon to attend them, as he does every year. FSU has visited a ton of prospects this spring. We feel they still sit in a good spot with many of them. Next up will be summer camps in June. Look for many of the top prospects to show up to FSU's Elite Camp and Mega Camp. This is where FSU should start to see some commitments and interest start to pick up.

RB Byron Louis - 5-11, 200 (AH Plantation): Louis sits at the top of the RB recruiting board. After watching him this spring you can see why. He is very good. Louis has both the power and speed to be an elite back. When he cuts it is so smooth. I had another scout with me at the practice, and he said, 'Fish, I need to move him up in my rankings.' He has become one of the best backs in the country. FSU is the leader for Louis at the time. Things can change but we like where FSU sits in his recruitment.

Where does FSU go with the second back in the class? Is it Todd Robinson or Ousmane Kromah? With Louis leaning towards FSU, I expect the coaching staff to be very patient with who they take with the second spot. They could also wait until after the season and see if someone pops up in the transfer portal.

WR Joshua Moore - 6-4, 210 (West Broward) - Moore is a bigger receiver. He has good hands and runs solid routes. He does not have elite speed or top-end burst. He gets open because Moore is just bigger and more physical than most of the defensive backs he faces. He will go up and attack the ball in the air. He has become a major priority for FSU and right now the Noles sit in a good spot with Moore as well.

WR Vernell Brown III - 5-11, 170 (Orlando Jones) - Brown is close to Tramell Jones. He is someone that has performed very well this spring. He is a good player who I still feel his best position is corner. Brown is also an elite slot receiver. FSU has gone all in on Brown. Look for them to get a visit. Ohio State leads but this is one that would not shock me if he chose to play football in the Sunshine State. FSU has a shot and at this point that is all you can ask for.

Tight end - A month ago FSU was not sitting pretty. All the top tight ends on their board were either leaning somewhere else or committed. Hollis Davidson (6-6, 230) decommitted from Auburn and now FSU is in the driver’s seat for his next commitment. He is what Mike Norvell likes in a TE. Big, physical, can run and will be part of the passing game. He is one of the top tight ends in the Southeast. Chase Loftin from Nebraska is also on the board. FSU offered and he has them in his top group. I am always skeptical about trying to land players this far from Tally. Nebraska has to be considered a legit option. Look for some other options to pop up at their summer camps. This is one position FSU needs to hit on.

Offensive Line - OT Solomon Thomas the tackle from Jacksonville Raines is still committed to FSU. That is a good thing. FSU is also leading for Ziyare Addison. But, man, has he blown up this spring and now this one could get interesting. He still says all the right things for FSU. The Noles also sit in good spots for Josh Petty and Max Buchanan. The way things are trending, FSU could sign its best OL class in over 20 years. Give major props to coach Atkins and the Seminoles staff. I know Pat feels good about Peyton Joseph from Houston County, Ga. So the Seminoles have this thing covered.

DE Zion Grady - I am starting to hear good things about Grady and FSU. The Seminoles may actually pull this kid. Know Miami is all in as well. This comes down to Grady wanting to get out of Alabama. You can never count out AU or Bama, but FSU does have a very good shot from what I was told recently.

DT Myron Charles - He has been all FSU. But I can tell you Texas. Yes, Texas feels good about landing Charles. I still like FSU chances but the longer these things go they can get away from you. Kevin Wynn is another DT that FSU has recruited and is going after hard. He is someone that could also pull the trigger this summer and become a Seminole. FSU has options at DT and will be patient recruiting this position.

LB - Tavion Wallace - He was all FSU. All of a sudden he is looking at other schools. Tarvos Alford is a prospect that FSU offered and recruited hard. He committed recently to Ohio State but FSU had two coaches at his spring game vs. West Boca. They are still going all in for the talented LB from Vero Beach. FSU has good relationships at that school so it would not shock us to see them possibly flip him later in the year. Gavin Nix from IMG is still on the board, as is Zaydrius Rainey-Sale (from the state of Washington), Ty Jackson (Seminole Ridge). Been told Jackson really is all about NIL. So that should be interesting. Linebackers are not getting big NIL deals. He may have to settle and be more realistic. Michael Hastie, a three-star linebacker from Douglas County, Ga., was recently offered and FSU is going hard on him.

DB Recruiting - Gregory Zae Thomas is first up. He has been leaning towards FSU. That being said I am always on the conservative side, especially when a kid like this leans one way hard but never pulls the trigger. FSU is in a fight with Clemson for his services. We like where FSU sits but Clemson is clearly an option. Ben Hanks is an option for FSU. He is one of the top defensive backs in South Florida. Problem is everyone else wants him. His father went to UF. He has ties to Miami. Max Redmon is underrated. Just so you know, I have him rated as the No. 1 safety in Florida ahead of Drake Stubbs, who I feel eventually ends up at linebacker. Bryce Fitzgerald from Columbus, who FSU has offered, and Gregory Thomas. What Coach Norvell saw at the FAU camp last year is what I saw. Big, long, physical defensive back. Redmon moves very well. He is the type of kid who develops into a NFL first-round pick one day.

Final Thoughts - While recruiting has changed, it has remained the same in some aspects. Usually coaches have to wait on the top prospects to commit. While FSU does not have many commits at this time we feel that will change in the next two months. We really like where they sit at RB (Louis), who is a borderline five-star back. They have the lead for four-star receiver (Moore). They are on the verge of signing a top OL class in the country. Most fans want skill players but the trenches are where games are won and lost, and right now FSU is doing a very good job in those two areas. This class has a chance to be better than the 2024 class if things fall right.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News