ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Who Argue For and Against Soccer

Mark Rudd

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 12, 2004
Read a thread about this on here a couple of days ago and in usual TC fashion, no stereotype was missing. Here's a few of my observations.

Soccer players are great athletes. They are not bigger, stronger, faster (although some are very fast) and can't throw further than most American athletes, but that doesn't mean they aren't great athletes. Perhaps Americans just tend to judge athletes in a different way.

Americans who do not like soccer are not ignorant. Fact is, soccer was around in America before any of the other major sports. We just found other sports that we like better. It is true that most Americans don't completely understand it and think it's boring because they don't completely understand it, but the same can be said for those who don't like baseball. Fact is, some people just don't want to understand it completely because they would prefer to watch other sports.

American's don't need to "catch on" to what the French like any more than the French need to "catch on" to American football. To each his own and no, they aren't a bit smarter because they like soccer better than football. That singular attitude sums up the stereotypical "soccer guy" best.

The idea that people don't like soccer as much in the South because they are backwoods and ignorant bothered me more than anything else I saw in that thread. I'm in Chicago working right now with 33 millwrights. Not a one of them have said a word about the World Cup, America scoring in the first half minute, or the Russian goalkeeper blowing an easy save. They talk a little about the Bears and the Cubs, and how the Blackhawks should have won the Stanley Cup.

BTW, only 26% of students that graduate from Chicago public high schools are college ready according to the SAT's. One in four Chicago High School students do not graduate high school and 91% of those who do have to take remedial courses in college before beginning college classwork. So how about let's get off Alabama just a little bit shall we?

Originally posted by Mark Rudd:
BTW, only 26% of students that graduate from Chicago public high schools are college ready according to the SAT's. One in four Chicago High School students do not graduate high school and 91% of those who do have to take remedial courses in college before beginning college classwork. So how about let's get off Alabama just a little bit shall we?
You will be hard pressed to find many that would agree that Alabama is a stronger intellectual state than Illinois. Sorry but the three "dumbest" states in the union every time the study gets done usually are Alabama, Mississippi, and West Virginia and its not hard to see why.

Originally posted by doofy10:

You will be hard pressed to find many that would agree that Alabama is a stronger intellectual state than Illinois. Sorry but the three "dumbest" states in the union every time the study gets done usually are Alabama, Mississippi, and West Virginia and its not hard to see why.
Agreed. It can be proven with multiple different stats and studies... Bama is "special" along with the rest of the south.

There is an awful lot of definite statements in that observation.

HUGE difference between the schools in the city (low income, insane crime rates) and the rest of the Chicagoland are and/or the state of Illinois in general. While it's true CFB is not as important up here compared to the south. I'd argue basketball and soccer are much more important and baseball on par with the south.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I wouldn't say that people who dislike soccer are ignorant, I would say that many people who dislike soccer are ignorant of the sport. Many people who dislike soccer have no reason for disliking soccer because they've never watched more than 5 minutes so they don't actually know if they like it or not. The majority of comments that I often hear from disliking soccer are ignorant, things like claiming its beneath us, that its a third world sport, that its not really a sport are ignorant.

I certainly do understand someone not liking that its low scoring and that it often ends in a tie. That's at least an argument I can understand. A 0-0 game can be difficult to watch. However a 0-0 game can also be thrilling, the Mexico vs Brazil match from yesterday was 0-0 but was thrilling.

I simply wish that Americans would do one of two things.

1. Give the sport a chance. Sit down with some people who understand the sport, watch a few high quality matches (International matches or something like EPL) and have them explain what is happening. If you still don't like it after a few matches then fine, you don't like the sport, but at least you will have legitimate reasons for not liking it and not just stereotypical answers. Not everyone will like soccer, I'm fine with that, but at least have a reason why.

2. If you don't want to give the sport a chance, that's fine as well. When people who do enjoy the sport try and talk about it, you don't have to come in and belittle something they enjoy. I don't particularly enjoy pro-baseball. I find it slow, boring, and tedious. With that said, I certainly understand why people do and I'm not going to tell someone who enjoys baseball that they are stupid for doing so and I'm not going to be offended when they're passionate about it and tell me how great it is.

There's no reason to get upset because ESPN talks about soccer. They only talk about it because there are people who actually want to hear about it or their market research has shown their is a market for it if they only help to grow it slightly. Its not some sinister process to turn us into France.

BTW, as an aside, I think we can all agree that it is perfect that France's world cup uniform has a chicken on it.

Originally posted by two4bowden:
HUGE difference between the schools in the city (low income, insane crime rates) and the rest of the Chicagoland are and/or the state of Illinois in general. While it's true CFB is not as important up here compared to the south. I'd argue basketball and soccer are much more important and baseball on par with the south.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Yep, but it's usually urban people who watched one too many episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies that make those comments about the South. It get's tiresome. I travel a lot in my work and I can tell you that we are a lot more alike than we are different.

I understand why soccer fans get tired of hearing the stereotypes about the sport they love, but some of them need to understand that they evoke them.

Originally posted by kc78:
I wouldn't say that people who dislike soccer are ignorant, I would say that many people who dislike soccer are ignorant of the sport. Many people who dislike soccer have no reason for disliking soccer because they've never watched more than 5 minutes so they don't actually know if they like it or not. The majority of comments that I often hear from disliking soccer are ignorant, things like claiming its beneath us, that its a third world sport, that its not really a sport are ignorant.

I certainly do understand someone not liking that its low scoring and that it often ends in a tie. That's at least an argument I can understand. A 0-0 game can be difficult to watch. However a 0-0 game can also be thrilling, the Mexico vs Brazil match from yesterday was 0-0 but was thrilling.

I simply wish that Americans would do one of two things.

1. Give the sport a chance. Sit down with some people who understand the sport, watch a few high quality matches (International matches or something like EPL) and have them explain what is happening. If you still don't like it after a few matches then fine, you don't like the sport, but at least you will have legitimate reasons for not liking it and not just stereotypical answers. Not everyone will like soccer, I'm fine with that, but at least have a reason why.

2. If you don't want to give the sport a chance, that's fine as well. When people who do enjoy the sport try and talk about it, you don't have to come in and belittle something they enjoy. I don't particularly enjoy pro-baseball. I find it slow, boring, and tedious. With that said, I certainly understand why people do and I'm not going to tell someone who enjoys baseball that they are stupid for doing so and I'm not going to be offended when they're passionate about it and tell me how great it is.

There's no reason to get upset because ESPN talks about soccer. They only talk about it because there are people who actually want to hear about it or their market research has shown their is a market for it if they only help to grow it slightly. Its not some sinister process to turn us into France.

BTW, as an aside, I think we can all agree that it is perfect that France's world cup uniform has a chicken on it.
I've watched more than a few soccer games including world cup. I just find the sport to be incredibly boring.

I don't get upset if ESPN talks about soccer and don't care if people like soccer. What usually draws me into the soccer discussions are people wondering why it isn't more popular in America. People can like soccer all they want but it's popularity isn't going to suddenly explode here and I believe it's because most Americans find it to be boring. People like the world cup because they like rooting for America in anything.

"
Read a thread about this on here a couple of days ago and in usual TC fashion, no stereotype was missing. Here's a few of my observations.

Soccer players are great athletes. They are not bigger, stronger, faster (although some are very fast) and can't throw further than most American athletes, but that doesn't mean they aren't great athletes. Perhaps Americans just tend to judge athletes in a different way."

Majority of them are faster then most Americas. Plus when throwing determine how athletic someone is? The decathlon events have more running and jumping events then throwing and none the events involve how far you throw a ball.

br>
Americans who do not like soccer are not ignorant. Fact is, soccer was around in America before any of the other major sports. We just found other sports that we like better. It is true that most Americans don't completely understand it and think it's boring because they don't completely understand it, but the same can be said for those who don't like baseball. Fact is, some people just don't want to understand it completely because they would prefer to watch other sports.

American's don't need to "catch on" to what the French like any more than the French need to "catch on" to American football. To each his own and no, they aren't a bit smarter because they like soccer better than football. That singular attitude sums up the stereotypical "soccer guy" best.

Well their statements make them look that such as "it's the sport that people that get cut from other team" or "it's a third world sport". Sorry but when people can't research and make statements just based on their experience in small then that's ignorance. Btw, it's not just the French but the whole world that plays the sport. I don't like communist but should I not support hockey but that was one of their best sports during the Cold War? That's your mentality.

The idea that people don't like soccer as much in the South because they are backwoods and ignorant bothered me more than anything else I saw in that thread. I'm in Chicago working right now with 33 millwrights. Not a one of them have said a word about the World Cup, America scoring in the first half minute, or the Russian goalkeeper blowing an easy save. They talk a little about the Bears and the Cubs, and how the Blackhawks should have won the Stanley Cup.

And again you show your ignorance. ESPN doesn't care what your 33 friends care about. It gets good to very good ratings in major cities so they so it. It takes over bars because we 're a country of immigrants and it's the most popular event in the world. I live in Nashville and could find 33 friends who don't talk about the NBA so should I make a definitive statement based on that small example. I lived in the Northeast and could easily find 33 friends who cared less about college football, should I make a definitive statement about that's sports importance on it.

The Alabama comments brought it on by the poster when he said "Mobile was a major city" which it's not even close. ESPN could careless what mobile watchs because they focus on DC, San Fran, New York, LA, Houston which it's scored great numbers when the US played that we're better the Stanley Cup and any game for this past World Series (which the title alone is a contradiction since it doesn't involve the world). Look the southeast was behind the times in segregation, how did that work for them?

I hear that very rarely. By far the most common reasons I hear are "boring" and "lack of scoring opportunities" and too much flopping. Most don't give it a full chance because they feel it's not exciting for the few minutes they tune in or both teams just complaining to the ref about calls and dives. I don't see it being more intelligent than any other sport - there aren't too many rules and the ball is pretty darned easy to follow.

We have to recognize it takes 3 generations of popularity for a sport to really thrive. You must get respectable coaching and understanding of the game at the adult level in order for the youth to excel. We're a good 25 years away from that point.

What I don't get are all the soccer-crazy people who think there's something wrong with people not liking their sport. I love hockey and never pretend it's super popular or expect others to love it. Get over it already.

Yep, but it's usually urban people who watched one too many episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies that make those comments about the South. It get's tiresome. I travel a lot in my work and I can tell you that we are a lot more alike than we are different.

I understand why soccer fans get tired of hearing the stereotypes about the sport they love, but some of them need to understand that they evoke them.

How?

What posses people to write hateful posts for something that they know nothing about or don't have an interest.

I could careless about golf, NASCAR, and MLB but I don't find the need to find a thread about it and drop a condensing or critical comment about something I don't care. I would just leave it alone.

By the way, I lived in the different parts of the country and can say the southeast is the most "special". They have a myopic view and think the rest of the country should feel the same as them and follow their lead. They think college football is the most important sport and that everyone knows what goes on in the sec and knows their coaches which isn't close to the truth. The Northeast could careless about college football and don't care to watch. I run into more racial prejudice then deeper I am in the southeast and see more run down and behind the times approaches.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:
I hear that very rarely. By far the most common reasons I hear are "boring" and "lack of scoring opportunities" and too much flopping. Most don't give it a full chance because they feel it's not exciting for the few minutes they tune in or both teams just complaining to the ref about calls and dives. I don't see it being more intelligent than any other sport - there aren't too many rules and the ball is pretty darned easy to follow.

We have to recognize it takes 3 generations of popularity for a sport to really thrive. You must get respectable coaching and understanding of the game at the adult level in order for the youth to excel. We're a good 25 years away from that point.

What I don't get are all the soccer-crazy people who think there's something wrong with people not liking their sport. I love hockey and never pretend it's super popular or expect others to love it. Get over it already.

It's not about people not loving the sports. It's about dealing with those who chose to write something disregarding the sport. Like I said I could careless about MLB or NASCAR but I don't feel the need to have to post in those threads. I just ignore them.

But just the same soccer in the US is especially sensitive about its place and popularity. I fully agree hateful posts about something you don't care about is petty.

However, it's no less petty to post or flame to people about why they can't get into soccer. And this happens a lot. The same rules apply to both sides - I think soccer occupies a special place in the love/hate arena because the people who do love (or hate) it get so worked up over their positions. I don't see anyone griping about why more people can't get interested in golf or track....yet it happens all the time with soccer. It shows a generally low level of self-esteem.

But just the same soccer in the US is especially sensitive about its place and popularity. I fully agree hateful posts about something you don't care about is petty.

However, it's no less petty to post or flame to people about why they can't get into soccer. And this happens a lot. The same rules apply to both sides - I think soccer occupies a special place in the love/hate arena because the people who do love (or hate) it get so worked up over their positions. I don't see anyone griping about why more people can't get interested in golf or track....yet it happens all the time with soccer. It shows a generally low level of self-esteem.

It's because of how popular soccer is everywhere else. Track or golf and not the most popular sports in other parts of the world and there are not franchise of those sports that make a lot of money.

I don't think it has anything to do with self esteem and more to do with why the United States can be part of the rest of the sports world. Sorry but the NFL and MLB are only important in America and they look foolish to try going global. Calling something a "World champion" or a homerun "as the shot heard round the world" when the league is only in your country seems dumb and extremely arrogant. My feeling has always been I don't care what place soccer is in this country as long as it has it's place and that newscasters keep their belittling comments to themselves because other broadcasters in other country don't do that.

I've never seen a flame post of why someone cant get into soccer. It's usually the soccer fans that have to always do the defending. I think the insecurity comes from the attacker of the sport. And either the hypocrisy or lack of knowledge show through their posts

I was the poster who said Mobile is a major city. When I posted about being from Alabama people immediately jumped to the conclusion that I must be an ignorant, redneck from the backwoods. Mobile is a major city in Alabama and not some tiny little town.

I've been at work the last couple of days without a chance to respond but I never said Mobile was New York but it's also not some tiny one stop light town that hates soccer, democrats and gay marriage.

The sport is BORING and I gave it a chance in 1994 and when my girlfriend in college played at South Alabama. I've also said it was a 3rd world sport and someone posted a a chart about the countries who play soccer. The fact is all those countries do indeed play soccer but they also play other sports. A great deal dirt poor country only really play soccer. ALL YOU NEED IS A BALL. No expensive bat, no helmet or glove....just a ball or in some cases something relatively round.

I've also heard everyone jumping on the ratings the match the other night got. The world cup is only on every 4 years and if it were held every year my guess is the ratings would go into the toilet just like MLS, premier league games and other Olympic sports during non-Olympic years.

Originally posted by NatureNole:
I was the poster who said Mobile is a major city. When I posted about being from Alabama people immediately jumped to the conclusion that I must be an ignorant, redneck from the backwoods. Mobile is a major city in Alabama and not some tiny little town.

I've been at work the last couple of days without a chance to respond but I never said Mobile was New York but it's also not some tiny one stop light town that hates soccer, democrats and gay marriage.

The sport is BORING and I gave it a chance in 1994 and when my girlfriend in college played at South Alabama. I've also said it was a 3rd world sport and someone posted a a chart about the countries who play soccer. The fact is all those countries do indeed play soccer but they also play other sports. A great deal dirt poor country only really play soccer. ALL YOU NEED IS A BALL. No expensive bat, no helmet or glove....just a ball or in some cases something relatively round.

I've also heard everyone jumping on the ratings the match the other night got. The world cup is only on every 4 years and if it were held every year my guess is the ratings would go into the toilet just like MLS, premier league games and other Olympic sports during non-Olympic years.

LOL! Again ignorance at its best. You only need a stick and a round item to play baseball. And as far as third world countries, doesn't MLB go to Cuba and the Dominican Republic to find their pitchers. Look you can get everything you need for baseball for about $150. I never bought a helmet in my life for baseball. For soccer, quality cleats would cost you about $120 and the ball would cost about $100 as well. Shin guards would be an additional $30.

Women's soccer in 1994 at South Alabama, that's your exposure? They probably handed out scholarships for whoever signed up back then. I can barely watch the women's game and that's only at the national level. That's like making an assessment on basketball based on watching women's college basketball. It's a different game and a lot slower then the men's game and not as skillful.

Btw. FYI England has the highest form of currency and has the most valuable franchise in the world.

Tell Forrest Gump I said hello and don't you have some grass to mow? Again dude it's Alabama; no one cares about your poor state.

This post was edited on 6/19 1:54 PM by rdbarks10

Originally posted by rdbarks10:

It's because of how popular soccer is everywhere else. Track or golf and not the most popular sports in other parts of the world and there are not franchise of those sports that make a lot of money.

I don't think it has anything to do with self esteem and more to do with why the United States can be part of the rest of the sports world. Sorry but the NFL and MLB are only important in America and they look foolish to try going global. Calling something a "World champion" or a homerun "as the shot heard round the world" when the league is only in your country seems dumb and extremely arrogant. My feeling has always been I don't care what place soccer is in this country as long as it has it's place and that newscasters keep their belittling comments to themselves because other broadcasters in other country don't do that.

I've never seen a flame post of why someone cant get into soccer. It's usually the soccer fans that have to always do the defending. I think the insecurity comes from the attacker of the sport. And either the hypocrisy or lack of knowledge show through their posts
Well we have pretty different experiences, which is fine. I've lived in Europe and people literally tried to start fights because my country doesn't get into soccer...people ask me why and I try to explain and honestly dudes trying to get in fights over this. Seriously. That's a self-esteem issue and a pretty bad one.

The USA is plenty arrogant about movies and TV, too. I don't see people whining over that and trying to start fights.

Well we have pretty different experiences, which is fine. I've lived in Europe and people literally tried to start fights because my country doesn't get into soccer...people ask me why and I try to explain and honestly dudes trying to get in fights over this. Seriously. That's a self-esteem issue and a pretty bad one.

The USA is plenty arrogant about movies and TV, too. I don't see people whining over that and trying to start fights.

That's sounds like hooligans. It's like those who go to college football games and get smashed and try to get into fights; they're in every country.

From my experience Europeans are more sophisticated then Americans so you might have said something to upset them. Soccer wouldn't matter because there are many reasons why Europeans are not happy with Americans and it doesn't have to do with politics.

I was training pro hockey and staying out of the way. Just please recognize the insults and attacks run both ways - you and I agree most of it's petty but not it's surely not one-sided.

I was training pro hockey and staying out of the way. Just please recognize the insults and attacks run both ways - you and I agree most of it's petty but not it's surely not one-sided.

It's different in Europe, it's like a religion. My comments were mainly about dealing with it in this country. Which country were you, just curious?

How?

What posses people to write hateful posts for something that they know nothing about or don't have an interest.

I could careless about golf, NASCAR, and MLB but I don't find the need to find a thread about it and drop a condensing or critical comment about something I don't care. I would just leave it alone.

By the way, I lived in the different parts of the country and can say the southeast is the most "special". They have a myopic view and think the rest of the country should feel the same as them and follow their lead. They think college football is the most important sport and that everyone knows what goes on in the sec and knows their coaches which isn't close to the truth. The Northeast could careless about college football and don't care to watch. I run into more racial prejudice then deeper I am in the southeast and see more run down and behind the times approaches.
I've lived in both as well, and can tell you that it's nothing but your own prejudices in the above statements.

Originally posted by vanole35:

How?

I've lived in both as well, and can tell you that it's nothing but your own prejudices in the above statements.

I really hope that is a misconception of mine but every time I think it might change; I get proven wrong. Maybe VA doesn't have to deal with this, but Tennessee is pretty bad.

How?

And I've lived in Europe as well. Lived in Greece and traveled to England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, and Ireland. It is not my experience that Europeans are "more sophisticated than Americans." Alabama, BTW, ranks 14th in the country for illiteracy at 15%. Not good, but not as bad as advertised. Their illiteracy rate is more than 5% lower than New York, New Jersey, California, and Florida.

Please link to any sites that can back up your claim that Alabama is more literate than any state, not just the ones you mentioned. I find that hard to believe but I'm glad to be proven wrong by facts, if they exist.

How?

And I've lived in Europe as well. Lived in Greece and traveled to England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, and Ireland. It is not my experience that Europeans are "more sophisticated than Americans." Alabama, BTW, ranks 14th in the country for illiteracy at 15%. Not good, but not as bad as advertised. Their illiteracy rate is more than 5% lower than New York, New Jersey, California, and Florida.

On average, Europeana can speak more then one language. Athens is in Greece, it's impressive what the city is known for and historically is known for its focus on art and education. It's why Nashville refers to itself as the Athens of the south. Cell phone technology is ahead of us in Europe. It's not hard to find someone in Alabama that's celebrates their simpleness or lack of knowledge and heck you don't have to go to far to find improper English spoken.

I love America but let's give other counties their dues.

This post was edited on 6/19 1:41 PM by rdbarks10

It's different in Europe, it's like a religion. My comments were mainly about dealing with it in this country. Which country were you, just curious?

Lived in Scotland, England, Sweden. Visited over 20 and found lots of aggression towards supposed anti-soccer fans.

Just accept the fact neither side has a monopoly on this. Soccer fans also can be very arrogant, aggressive, and yes, ignorant.

I don't get the obsession over Alabama either, as though there's not racism or ignorance in other places.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
Please link to any sites that can back up your claim that Alabama is more literate than any state, not just the ones you mentioned. I find that hard to believe but I'm glad to be proven wrong by facts, if they exist.
http://nces.ed.gov/naal/estimates/StateEstimates.aspx

Hope this works for ya. Had to go to a couple of links to get there, but you can google it for yourself. I don't put stuff like that on a message board unless I've looked it up first.

I got the statistics on Chicago off a Chicago radio station. They were going off on their education system because a school's slogan for their high school prom was "This is are story."

Originally posted by NatureNole:

LOL! Again ignorance at its best. You only need a stick and a round item to play baseball. And as far as third world countries, doesn't MLB go to Cuba and the Dominican Republic to find their pitchers. Look you can get everything you need for baseball for about $150. I never bought a helmet in my life for baseball. For soccer, quality cleats would cost you about $120 and the ball would cost about 100 as well. Shin guards would be an additional.

Women's soccer in 1994 at South Alabama, that's your exposure? The probably handed out scholarships for whoever signed up back then. I can barely watch the women's game and that's only at the national level. That's like making an assessment on basketball based on watching women's college basketball. It's a different game and a lot slower then the men's game and not as skillful.

Btw. FYI England has the highest form of currency and have the most valuable franchise in the world.

Tell Forrest Gump I said hello and don't you have some grass to mow? Again dude it's Alabama; no one cares about your poor state.

Nature continues to be the worst poster on this topic. Half of what he types is ignorant in regards to the game and the people around the globe that play it. Not only that, but by calling it a 3rd world game just shows how out of touch many Americans are with what is going on in the rest of world.

Also, is it just me or does anyone else find it offensive when the same anti-soccer types keep saying "all you need is a ball"? Like they are looking down their noses at these people in foreign lands? Just a strange argument all together...

A strange "argument" but no less offensive than being treated like you're a fool because you don't like soccer. It very much goes both ways, neither side has a monopoly on the silliness. Plenty of soccer fans look down on American (and other Euro) sports, too.

We can make well-reasoned arguments about what sports take more athleticism, discipline, teamwork, and toughness. But being arrogant to people who are passionate about a sport that isn't your favorite is just dumb no matter what the sport is. Many people in the US don't like hockey or think it's just ice fighting. That's okay with me. Many don't like soccer - the reasons may be bad or good but get over it.

A strange "argument" but no less offensive than being treated like you're a fool because you don't like soccer. It very much goes both ways, neither side has a monopoly on the silliness. Plenty of soccer fans look down on American (and other Euro) sports, too.

We can make well-reasoned arguments about what sports take more athleticism, discipline, teamwork, and toughness. But being arrogant to people who are passionate about a sport that isn't your favorite is just dumb no matter what the sport is. Many people in the US don't like hockey or think it's just ice fighting. That's okay with me. Many don't like soccer - the reasons may be bad or good but get over it.
I like hockey and love the sport. I see a lot of strategies attack wise similar to soccer. Could you send to me an email at rdbarks10@hotmail.com about what it's like to coach hockey over seas? I'm always looking to expand my knowledge base on hockey. Also why do some pro teams do the "dump-the-puck" approach on offense. The Nashville Predators have been using this style forever so I was curious what the advantages of it are.

Well dang... look what I found in NatureNole's neck of the woods-- Mobile Alabama (AO Chapter) watching the Ghana match at an Irish Pub. Pretty cool....

This post was edited on 6/20 8:22 AM by GwinnettNole

Mobile Alabama

That's sounds like hooligans. It's like those who go to college football games and get smashed and try to get into fights; they're in every country.

From my experience Europeans are more sophisticated then Americans so you might have said something to upset them. Soccer wouldn't matter because there are many reasons why Europeans are not happy with Americans and it doesn't have to do with politics.
Haha. I get the feeling you are saying Europeans are more sophisticated than Americans because they like soccer, or more so because they like the same sport you do. That's funny

Haha. I get the feeling you are saying Europeans are more sophisticated than Americans because they like soccer, or more so because they like the same sport you do. That's funny

No, it has to do with the way they live their lives and focus on the arts and education. Unfortunately some of us embrace the lack of intelligence and class. Jeff Foxworthy has based his whole career on this.

No, it has to do with the way they live their lives and focus on the arts and education. Unfortunately some of us embrace the lack of intelligence and class. Jeff Foxworthy has based his whole career on this.
Had you spent much time over there, you might be aware of the uneducated class that embraces a lack of intelligence that exists in every country on this earth. You don't think there are comedians in Europe who have a similar schtick as Foxworthy?

I like hockey and love the sport. I see a lot of strategies attack wise similar to soccer. Could you send to me an email at rdbarks10@hotmail.com about what it's like to coach hockey over seas? I'm always looking to expand my knowledge base on hockey. Also why do some pro teams do the "dump-the-puck" approach on offense. The Nashville Predators have been using this style forever so I was curious what the advantages of it are.
Slight hijack -- hopefully with Laviolette now behind the bench, the Preds dump and chase days may be behind them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT