ADVERTISEMENT

Forget the OL issue ... it's BIG, but Jimbo isn't going to fire Trickett. Defense is the real issue

FSU91

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Our pass protection is horrid. Not just the OL, but the schemes. We have too many plays where Francois is blown up due to our schemes where the OL is engaged with other players. Our TE and backs are getting blown up too. There is a big problem in our protections schemes overall that includes OL, TE and RB.

Fisher is confident enough that he and Trickett can fix these issues. They know that our run blocking is in good shape (look how much better we are doing FINALLY this year in short yardage situations).

I don't see Fisher shaking up our OL coaching position. I just don't see it.

SO ... what is the BIGGEST issue with the team? Easily it is the defense. We scored 35 and 34 in losses to UNC and Clemson. We should NEVER, EVER, EVER lose a game where we score 35 and 34 points. We lost those games due to our defense.

Look at these key rankings:
  • Total Defense: 403.9 yards per game -- 65th nationally -- 11th in ACC
  • Scoring Defense: 29.9 points per game -- 79th nationally -- 11th in ACC
  • Yards Per Play: 6.20 yards per play -- 103rd nationally -- 12th in ACC
  • Passing Defense: 251.5 yards per game -- 90th nationally -- 11th in ACC
  • Yards Per Attempt: 8.4 yards per attempt -- 113th nationally -- 11th in ACC
I know that losing Derwin James has hurt us immensely and relying on far too much youth in the defensive backfield has hurt a great deal. I really think that having James in the UNC and Clemson games would have made a difference.

But even with him we would still be bad on defense. Maybe not bottom third of the ACC bad, but we wouldn't be in the top third either. We'd be middle of the pack ... and that is not good enough.

The issues are huge and we really need a change in overall coaching on defense. My hope is that Coach Haggins and Coach Lawing are retained and that Coach Miller retires and ... well ... Coach Kelly takes care of his money from his buy-out.

FSU needs ... and we fans and supporters DEMAND ... better from our defense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News