ADVERTISEMENT

Friends Dog Died-He's Asking for Prayers

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
I'm not so sure about this one...should I???

And it's not technically him asking, it's his girlfriend. She posted on Facebook that his "best buddy" passed away and to please keep him in your prayers right now.

The post started as "Prayers Needed for Trevor"

I mean...could this diminish my prayer clout with the big man?

I'm not so sure about this one...should I???

And it's not technically him asking, it's his girlfriend. She posted on Facebook that his "best buddy" passed away and to please keep him in your prayers right now.

The post started as "Prayers Needed for Trevor"

I mean...could this diminish my prayer clout with the big man?

Keep who in your prayers? Her boyfriend who's grieving? Or the dog?

Is Trevor the man or the dog????

Keep who in your prayers? Her boyfriend who's grieving? Or the dog?

Is Trevor the man or the dog????

Trevor is my grieving friend. Its to late to pray for the dog, should have asked for that yesterday.

I'm going with condolences. Skipping prayers....321 has my back!

people think of their pets as kids, especially when they have had them a long time. It hurt like hell when I lost my last dog. Nothing strange about asking for prayers of comfort.

Reactions: Wendy79 and DFSNOLE
Trevor is my grieving friend. Its to late to pray for the dog, should have asked for that yesterday.

In the minds of many religious people, passing away does not take one beyond the benefits of prayer. For instance catholics are taught the doctrine of purgatory, purging or cleansing that some people need after death. I was listening just yesterday to a theologian on one of their call-in shows say that prayer could aid those people in getting through the process and getting on to heaven. I think many would still pray for the dog** out of the same notion: That he get to heaven or whatever, so that the owner can hope to one day be reunited with him.

I guess it's also worth noting that a number of people who aren't religious / don't believe in an afterlife, have had their pets preserved at Alcor -- frozen at liquid nitrogen temperature (--321 F) in the hopes that science can one day repair and revive them.

I would pray for the friend, esp. if asked.

[** I might argue that since religion teaches that people aren't culpable for sin until a certain mental age, dogs should never be culpable, since they never reach that age. They should either be in a positive afterlife or just wink out. I'm not a pet person, but pet people probably would say that pets belong in an afterlife. According to what I just found through google, the bible is unclear but leaves open the possibility. ]

Reactions: nolesincebirth
What kind of dog was it? If it was a dog of peace (Pit Bull for the uninitiated), then there is no way that demon is going to heaven.

What kind of dog was it? If it was a dog of peace (Pit Bull for the uninitiated), then there is no way that demon is going to heaven.

There was an old European joke that went something like this:

In heaven the French are the cooks, the germans make the cars, The Scandinavians are the spouses, the Italians are the lovers, the Swiss are the police, the british keep the records. In hell the Germans are the police, the british are the cooks, The Italians are the spouses, the Swiss are the lovers, The Polish keep the records…..something like that.

I would say if you are a pit bull hater, you can be assured that if you go to hell, Pits will be there. If you go to heaven pit bull lovers might have pits, but in your perception they'll be like giant super friendly poodles that wear pink baskets to carry around children.

Reactions: AdNole
There was an old European joke that went something like this:

In heaven the French are the cooks, the germans make the cars, The Scandinavians are the spouses, the Italians are the lovers, the Swiss are the police, the british keep the records. In hell the Germans are the police, the british are the cooks, The Italians are the spouses, the Swiss are the lovers, The Polish keep the records…..something like that.

I would say if you are a pit bull hater, you can be assured that if you go to hell, Pits will be there. If you go to heaven pit bull lovers might have pits, but in your perception they'll be like giant super friendly poodles that wear pink baskets to carry around children.
Hopefully there will also be a few Saint Bernard's with booze on their collars!

[QUOTE="

[** I might argue that since religion teaches that people aren't culpable for sin until a certain mental age, dogs should never be culpable, since they never reach that age. They should either be in a positive afterlife or just wink out. I'm not a pet person, but pet people probably would say that pets belong in an afterlife. According to what I just found through google, the bible is unclear but leaves open the possibility. ][/QUOTE]

Did Google just say pets?? What about wild animals like lions and tigers and bears?

Reactions: Spearchucker87
[QUOTE=" I'm not a pet person, but pet people probably would say that pets belong in an afterlife. According to what I just found through google, the bible is unclear but leaves open the possibility. ]

][/QUOTE] Did Google just say pets?? What about wild animals like lions and tigers and bears?[/QUOTE]

LOL. Well, people think in human terms, and think they'd want their pets in an afterlife. But I would be of the school of theology to think in spiritual terms, and I believe that any kind of afterlife would be some sort of higher spiritual plane such that pets would not be desired. I don't think there's anything of any cosmic significance about animals that would warrant their having any kind of eternal existence (With humans, I'm on the fence.....). But I suppose if there's something in human nature, even an eternal nature, that would benefit from their presence, they could be around. If that desire is granted, and you want lions and tigers, I guess more power to you. If I was God I'd let people have lions and tiger and bears (oh my!)

people think of their pets as kids, especially when they have had them a long time. It hurt like hell when I lost my last dog. Nothing strange about asking for prayers of comfort.

It really sucked when my first dog died (he was almost 18). It really sucked when I had to put down my 2nd dog last August due to kidney failure. And even when my current dog has an off day, I worry about him. If pets don't mean much - if anything - to you, then fine. I don't understand that, but fine. But I don't think it's worth the effort to mock someone who feels differently from you.

I don't really want kids (if it happens, then awesome). But I want to save all the dogs. And if there are no dogs in heaven, then I don't want to go there.

It really sucked when my first dog died (he was almost 18). It really sucked when I had to put down my 2nd dog last August due to kidney failure. And even when my current dog has an off day, I worry about him. If pets don't mean much - if anything - to you, then fine. I don't understand that, but fine. But I don't think it's worth the effort to mock someone who feels differently from you.

I don't really want kids (if it happens, then awesome). But I want to save all the dogs. And if there are no dogs in heaven, then I don't want to go there.

I don't think he was mocking them

BTW I just heard the catholic answer clarified, b/c someone called in to "catholic answers live" with the question. Their resident theologian is answering calls today, and he's very well versed in church tenants:

--Theologians have traditionally held that animals lack something that makes humans special /sacred, and animals have generally been thought to not have an afterlife.

--But it's not an official doctrine of the church one way or another, so people are free to harbor differing opinions.

--Many independent minded theologians have said that animals do bring something special to many people, and that if the presence of animals is important to a particular person's eternal experience, then they would likely be part of it.

You were maybe not trying to be absolutely literal there. But just to clarify, do you not conceive of a possible afterlife that could be of value absent the presence of dogs?

We had three dogs get hit by cars when I was a kid. Long story short, we never had a fenced yard and my old man was a bastard and didn't want them inside. By the time the third one died I didn't even cry. As a young adult I gave one dog away that I had for four or five years and I didn't bat an eye. The dog we have now could be different when it goes but probably only because the wife and kids will be really upset...

I have a dog, I like it. I've had dogs in the past that I was much closer with...one was my bestest buddy. I also say my prayers at night. I pray for all the people I love most by name. I don't recall ever praying for my dog. Not that I shouldn't have, just never really thought about it when saying prayers.

You were maybe not trying to be absolutely literal there. But just to clarify, do you not conceive of a possible afterlife that could be of value absent the presence of dogs?

I don't know that I can conceive of an afterlife period. I'm just saying that if there is, I'd rather there be dogs and animals in general.

Is there only one heaven? Or is heaven what you want it to be?

Heaven is a place where you need no dog to have and feel absolute peace and happiness, and a place where no dog needs an owner to feel happy and be at peace.

Reactions: AdNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT