Breaking News FSU offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to take job at Oregon

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
Wednesday -- Dillingham is going to Oregon

This is where we figured it was going. Just not sure why he would do it today

FSU offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to take job at Oregon

------

10:45 p.m. -- Haven't heard anything definitive on Dillingham, but this is a situation where I would think no news is probably not great news for FSU ... especially if we don't hear anything by tomorrow.

If he was staying, I would think FSU would want that out there as soon as possible. I don't think his status is a huge concern for this signing period, but it could help with a couple of guys.

Now it's possible that a decision is still to be determined, but if FSU thought it could lock him down and was determined to do that, they would do it before Wednesday. I'm not saying he's definitely leaving, but there are whispers in the coaching community that he is. And the longer this goes on, the more likely it seems that it's true.

It will be interesting to see what happens if no announcement is made by Wednesday because the assistant coaches are scheduled to speak to the media that afternoon. So he'll definitely be asked about it then.

Maybe there will be a resolution by then. We'll let you know if we hear anything.

----

As you saw from Bruce Feldman's first report yesterday, Oregon is making a run at Kenny Dillingham as offensive coordinator. As I posted in other threads, this isn't unexpected. Michael was hearing it in recruiting circles even before Dan Lanning got the Oregon job - that he would be coming for Kenny.

The two worked together under Norvell at Memphis in 2016 and '17, and their relationship dates back further than that. They are very close.

As you know, Lanning is a defensive guy, so Dillingham would have complete control of the offense at Oregon. He is the Seminoles' play-caller, but Norvell is an offensive coach and has substantial input into the game plan. So there could be some appeal to running your own offense completely. Kenny has never had that -- he was running Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn.

Because of all their close connections, I wouldn't think this is going to be a tense financial negotiation, where both sides get engaged in a bidding war -- and it's all about money. I think it's going to come down to whether Dillingham thinks it's better for his career to be back on the West Coast, where he has a ton of connections, and running his own offense. Or if he's better off staying here and continuing to build on what they've done the last two years.

We're hearing a decision will come today, which needs to happen with the early signing period starting on Wednesday.

If Dillingham goes, Norvell could promote offensive line coach Alex Atkins to coordinator -- Atkins previously served as offensive coordinator at Charlotte and is highly thought of in that capacity -- or he could hire from outside.

Two of his former coordinators could be options as well. Veteran assistant coach Darrell Dickey was with him at Memphis in 2016-17 before going to be offensive coordinator at Texas A&M. The Seminoles would have to come up with more money than they were paying Dillingham, but Dickey is very well-respected and could be worth the investment. (I believe Dickey is making $850K, while Dillingham is at $625K. But FSU paid Kendal Briles $1 million, so they have shown they will go higher when needed.)

Kevin Johns, who was Norvell's offensive coordinator in 2019 at Memphis when Dillingham left for Auburn, is still in the same position with the Tigers. Not sure if Norvell would consider him or not.

From a recruiting standpoint, Dillingham has a great relationship with a lot of kids, but I don't get the impression from Michael that it would be a huge problem with this class if he leaves. It definitely could hurt with some other prospects who are out there, like Kevin Coleman, but we'll have to see what happens.

Anyway, like I said, we should hear relatively soon which way it goes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News