ADVERTISEMENT

FSU "sux" VT edition

jhnoles6602

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2018
One thing I know from my time coaching every team no matter how great they are has the ADVERSITY game I call it. Most frustrating part about the ADVERSITY game almost always happens against an inferior opponent you were supposed to beat by multiple scores. It can really cause fans to doubt how good are we? Players realize how little thing here and little thing there is the root cause of being in a dog fight. They also do not overreact to games like this, but instead wakes them up and brings them back down to “earth” and sets them up to for some great wins.

Offense - Seamed to be off all day and when you factor in the amount of time our offense spent watching the game it’s impossible to get going. Hell, only the fans come in slightly behind the offense time watching the game. When your O or D spends to much time watching you get the results we had today. We should have dominated LOS on both sides. Our OL should have dominated period, but when JT got injured CMN should have been able to look at his OL and said it’s up to y’all and they should have happened. It almost had the feeling of everyone kept waiting on the man next to them to make the game changing play or TD instead of each player “begging” for the shot to change the game. Idk if anyone else could feel the lump in their throat or sick feeling when JT went down. It’s an eerie feeling because I don’t known what they can truly do. If I had to guess Norvell would make sure they know it’s not all on them to win it, but their job to it’s their job to not lose it. Lastly, I was absolutely shocked and to be honest still shocked that KC did have one single catch!! That’s right 0 Rec. JW had 4 rec for 105 yds. Run game is equally surprising as Hill lead the way 5 carries for 42 yds and Jordan was the 2 leading rusher 4 carries for 38 yds. With that being said our time of possession was only 26:12. If you haven’t taken a look at the teams stats you should! It’s mind blowing.

Defense - Missed tackle, after missed tackle, after forgot to tackle. The amount of missed tackles just can not happen. Our defense is showing the same exact tackling fundamentals you see from little league and/or middle school football team. I have never seen a college football team dive to make tackles as much as our defense. The YAC yardage we give up is brutal. Our angles are horrible which allows players to get the edge, is almost always the reason for allowing to break for big gains allowing these dual threat Now, I do know every coach designs plays to score every time just like every DC designs every call to at worst to have 0 yards gained. As a DC you want your percentage of causing/creating negative first down plays to be a lot higher because statistically you will win more series and a higher percentage of being 3 and outs. Angles, Angles, Angles….as a whole our D has terrible pursuit angles and these horrific angles have greatly impacted negative 1st down percentages, allowed short gains to become 1st downs, negative or less than 5 yds to turn into 20yds + BIG plays as well as TDs. Lastly, I didn’t think for a moment this would be an issue and quite frankly be hurting our secondary. Our DL with the size, athleticism, depth has been underwhelming to put it nice. I felt like the LSU game was due to being held a lot. So far I was wrong about this. With all the preseason hype and not only returning players but veteran players with NFL potential across the board. I have to admit so far I’m shocked how little of an impact Verse has made. First round Draft picks do not disappear in games like Verse. Sometimes it feels like entire quarters go by without hearing his name once. I tell you what I’d bet the house if you said Verse, Lovett, Fiske, Farmer, Edmond, Briggs would not dominate the LOS I would have lol. To be honest I don’t know what to say about them. I’m utterly shocked and disappointed. Our DL has to shoulder a lot of the blamed for perceived Secondary weaknesses and or big plays. I don’t care what kind of talent you have back there they stand no chance.

Coaching - Norvell / Atkins if I remember correctly Atkins is the run game OC and Norvell is Pass game OC either way doesn’t matter. One thing thats unbelievable is our passing game today why is that?? Keon Coleman finishing the game with 0 that’s right 0 rec, JW 4 rec for 105 and Toafili 2 rec for 9 yards. With those passing game numbers it can only mean one thing our rushing attack was dominant Benson 14 car for 68 yds and our second leading rusher non other than Jordan Travis. This is the first game from last yr to Week 3 where the playing calling was just plain and simple ( I know it can happen ) absolutely terrible. There is no reason to not have ball in their hands.

Coaching D - I have held out hope he would also continue to improve as a coach and I haven’t fully jumped on fire Fuller train. However, CMN has to see the overwhelming evidence that Fuller isn’t HIM or HER! It’s hard for sit back and watch our defense just getting abused and honestly if I had to put a percentage on it I would say 60% is on him. His inability to make in game adjustments is mind blowing. Hell, if we can see it you know the teams we are playing know it. He has every single piece of data, breakdowns, videos ect to make the adjustments. We absolutely can NOT continue to allow teams absolutely pick us apart for 50.% of the game and think we will be NC contenders. When you watch our DL and the bare minimum they are doing has a lot to do with Fuller and his scheme. You rarely see stunts or pre snap confusion with disguising blitz and coverages. It’s just frustrating when you see the talent we have. I can promise this much BC would have had no choice beat me with his arm. There is so much more to discuss about Fuller. I’ve seen stats on him and his success, but the whole bend don’t break effects our O because of having to stay on the sideline for so long and the amount of possessions offenses are getting due to running clock doesn’t need to also worry about the time lost in the bend don’t break.

Ultimately, we won today and I have been apart of many of these type “Wins” but a win is a win and being in the hunt is being in the hunt. I know games like usually has fans upset and want something drastic to change and change now. Sometimes you have to sit back and realize there are teams out there who got upset. Then there is us and I have to admit I’d rather have an ugly Win instead of a lose. I think today’s win was ugly but it also come at a good time leading up to Clemson. These ugly wins have a way of “humbling” a team and forcing them to lock back on the little things that are the reason for BIG
things to happen.

Reactions: Jeperr6564
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News