ADVERTISEMENT

Gainesville should be popin today lol

Lol. Some white supremasist is speaking there today.

Is Riley Cooper coming back to Gainesville? o_O

df281f4a-4569-4a2e-98ad-9323d0da53f0.jpg

Is Riley Cooper coming back to Gainesville? o_O

df281f4a-4569-4a2e-98ad-9323d0da53f0.jpg
As awful as the dude speaking is, this made me chuckle.

Also, as bad as the situation is, funny to have read that uf is on the hook for all security costs, which they estimate will be over 500k.

Absurd a public school has to provide a half mil of security because this little coward wants to bring his circus of freaks to town.

I hate uf athletics, but that half mil would be much better spent on actual student services/scholarships/parking/anything than this. Those are our tax dollars.

As an aside, this can't be good for uf recruiting, can it? Having a white supremacist and related morons parading around campus is a bad look.

Never know where instigators from either side of many divisive issues may show up. Instigators are always looking for a fight. What if no one showed up to confront them? Let them fight each other.

Reactions: CoveChild
My wife took a pic from the TV where they were talking about this. The pic they used was of the front of FSU campus...

Reactions: squiffynole
What if no one showed up to confront them?
He would be speaking to probably less than 20 people.

He is doing it to get people to protest and get the media attention. If no one paid him any mind except maybe an undercover FBI agent in the crowd to make sure his speech and group is not planning some violence, his efforts would be a failure. Getting way more press and attention then he deserves.

Hope things don't get violent, and thankful this nut job didn't choose Tallahassee to conduct his little meeting.

What time does the fool speak? Anyone know?
Noon I think

Looks like a lot of professors have cancelled classes, campus is loaded w cops, the tiki torch circus is planning on protesting at a variety of businesses and establishments in gville, essentially as a disorganized series of racist flashmobs.

Their strategy is basically to be as obnoxious and awful as possible in hopes of instigating someone else to start something.

Noon I think

Looks like a lot of professors have cancelled classes, campus is loaded w cops, the tiki torch circus is planning on protesting at a variety of businesses and establishments in gville, essentially as a disorganized series of racist flashmobs.

Their strategy is basically to be as obnoxious and awful as possible in hopes of instigating someone else to start something.
Never realizing, of course, that burning Gainesville to the ground would only cause the property values to go up.

Noon I think

Yeah, and Antifa isn't exactly a well-disciplined pacifist group either...high likelihood of firewords I would think.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Yeah, and Antifa isn't exactly a well-disciplined pacifist group either...high likelihood of firewords I would think.
There is only one instigator in this scenario, period.
Not jumping down the rabbit hole with you, it'll only get the thread locked.

Reactions: nole71911
Noon I think

UPDATE: Article I just read said it's scheduled for 2:30pm today. Something to keep an eye on, news-wise. Let's hope all that security achieves its purpose!

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
UPDATE: Article I just read said it's scheduled for 2:30pm today. Something to keep an eye on, news-wise. Let's hope all that security achieves its purpose!
Correct, I was wrong, it's 230. My bad.

As to your other post, maybe I miss read it, apologies for that if it was the case.

This group likely has a total following of < 50 people and not even half of them will likely show up. So you cancel classes and encourage people to give them the attention they crave, but would not get if they were just ignored? More proof that alligators have brains the size of a walnut. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, my daughter lives off campus. She'll be watching her lectures from home.

This group likely has a total following of < 50 people and not even half of them will likely show up. So you cancel classes and encourage people to give them the attention they crave, but would not get if they were just ignored? More proof that alligators have brains the size of a walnut. :rolleyes:
You're saying that fewer than 25 of spencer's white supremacist followers will show up?

While I wish that were true, I'm afraid we're about to find out that it is not.

Yesterday, I saw a screen shot used in a story about this event. I thought it was showing the iron archway by Ruby Diamond. But, when I zoomed in, it was a similar looking iron arch that said "University of Florida."

I don't envy UF having to deal with this hate (and that's coming from someone who hates UF ;)). I'd not show up to protest against this group because I don't want to give them the recognition but I'd hate for them to be doing a public event in my community.

It is absurd a person can't exercise their freedoms without the threat of violence in this country.
Responding to peaceful speech with violence is as American as apple pie.

Just look at all the peaceful protesters for civil rights over the last 200+ years who've either been threatened with violence, attacked, or killed.

spencer and his tiki brigade aren't simply engaging in free speech, they're instigating violence. These white supremacists are very aware of what they're doing. Your quote above would apply to a lot of groups, but not his.

Yesterday, I saw a screen shot used in a story about this event. I thought it was showing the iron archway by Ruby Diamond. But, when I zoomed in, it was a similar looking iron arch that said "University of Florida."

I don't envy UF having to deal with this hate (and that's coming from someone who hates UF ;)). I'd not show up to protest against this group because I don't want to give them the recognition but I'd hate for them to be doing a public event in my community.

But that is the point. They have the right to their opinions, as ignorant and detrimental as they may be. I can't think of many things Voltaire said that I agree w/ , but he was right when he said we may disagree completely, but I will defend to the death your right to say what you believe. (obviously paraphrased) It is the essence of liberty and our Constitution. I'm hopeful that folks can keep their heads when others may lose theirs. If these idiots are not allowed to speak, what right does anyone have to express their opinion?

Just look at all the peaceful protesters for civil rights over the last 200+ years who've either been threatened with violence, attacked, or killed.

spencer and his tiki brigade aren't simply engaging in free speech, they're instigating violence. These white supremacists are very aware of what they're doing. Your quote above would apply to a lot of groups, but not his.

My old daddy used to say, "Never get in mud fight with a pig. Everybody gets dirty and the pig likes it." If you know he's just looking for a confrontation to get attention, why help him?

I can't think of many things Voltaire said that I agree w/
Wait...what? You've got beef w/Voltaire. Please enlighten (no pun intended) us.

And incidentally, Voltaire never said that quote you cited.

"The most oft-cited Voltaire quotation is apocryphal. He is incorrectly credited with writing, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." These were not his words, but rather those of Evelyn Beatrice Hall, written under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre in her 1906 biographical book The Friends of Voltaire. Hall intended to summarize in her own words Voltaire's attitude towards Claude Adrien Helvétius and his controversial book De l'esprit, but her first-person expression was mistaken for an actual quotation from Voltaire."

Those mouthbreathers tried to have a similar rally on the Boston Common in August, and only about 25 people showed up to support them, while about 15,000 counterdemonstrators were held back by police and barricades...since this will be held at a university instead of a city park, and there won't be any statues to "defend", I expect this "rally" will resemble the one in Boston rather than Charlottesville....

alt-right-free-speech-boston-donald-trump.jpg

"Free Speech" rally at the Boston Common bandstand on August 19, 2017.

My old daddy used to say, "Never get in mud fight with a pig. Everybody gets dirty and the pig likes it." If you know he's just looking for a confrontation to get attention, why help him?
Oh I totally agree with that.

His oxygen is controversy, cameras, and violence -- if you deprive him of confrontation, he'll suffocate on his own boredom and whimper off like the little biznizzle that he is.

Last edited:

I don't conflate something being 'American' simply because it is common.
Violence against unpopular speech strikes me as the norm in much of the world. Here there is an effort to carve a different space. One where we can exercise our rights without being subjected to violence.
I understand there are groups who cannot tolerate speech they don't agree with. And when I think of Brownshirts and other organizations that seek to suppress civil rights because they disagree with the speaker I don't think, 'how American!'

You can side with those who attack people that peacefully exercising their rights if that's what you want.
I'm simply pointing out where that places you.

Spencer and his tiki brigade aren't simply engaging in free speech, they're instigating violence.

0H4FWL7.png

What in his speech supports that assertion? I haven't heard or read any of them. Have you?

Oh I totally agree with that.

His oxygen is controversy, cameras, and violence -- if you deprive him of confrontation, he'll suffocate on his own boredom and whimper off light the little biznizzle that he is.
I am wondering if when he sets these up if someone could set up an event with verified people that they know won't get violent right next to his event that is just designed to make a bunch of noise so that his speech can not be heard. They could just have their backs to him and rev motorcycle engines or play loud music or just any kind of noise that drowns out his speech. Similar to what the bikers do at soldiers funerals to the Westboro baptist church idiots that go try to spread their message at soldiers' funerals.

Wait...what? You've got beef w/Voltaire. Please enlighten (no pun intended) us.

And incidentally, Voltaire never said that quote you cited.

"The most oft-cited Voltaire quotation is apocryphal. He is incorrectly credited with writing, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." These were not his words, but rather those of Evelyn Beatrice Hall, written under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre in her 1906 biographical book The Friends of Voltaire. Hall intended to summarize in her own words Voltaire's attitude towards Claude Adrien Helvétius and his controversial book De l'esprit, but her first-person expression was mistaken for an actual quotation from Voltaire."

Well, I'm in good and large company. ;)

https://www.ranker.com/list/a-list-of-famous-voltaire-quotes/reference

Alligator brewing is offering a free beer per 2 tickets to the rally. Basically, they want people to go get the tickets so they can shred them and leave seats empty.

I don't conflate something being 'American' simply because it is common.
Violence against unpopular speech strikes me as the norm in much of the world. Here there is an effort to carve a different space. One where we can exercise our rights without being subjected to violence.
I understand there are groups who cannot tolerate speech they don't agree with. And when I think of Brownshirts and other organizations that seek to suppress civil rights because they disagree with the speaker I don't think, 'how American!'

You can side with those who attack people that peacefully exercising their rights if that's what you want.
I'm simply pointing out where that places you.

0H4FWL7.png

What in his speech supports that assertion? I haven't heard or read any of them. Have you?
Ugh god i hate these broken up multi-quote responses.

Look fam, America has a long history of threatening, attacking, and killing black folks and minorities who've tried to use the their alleged legal freedoms to fight for equality, even the cops got into the act for a while. Hell, it's still pretty common in America today. I'm not going to argue the semantics of what makes that more or less American than apple pie because I'm pretty sure you can buy that in other countries also - it's a colloquialism for christsake.

Not sure where you gathered that I was on the side of folks who want to attack people expressing their freedom of speech. I'm on the side of every one of his cronies and followers being photographed, named and shamed out of their job.

Basically I'm just saying your "*sigh* it's sad people trying to express themselves have to fear for their safety" quote is naive, intentionally so i'd imagine. This guy tows a very careful line, dog whistling as much as possible without crossing into 'inciting violence' territory, but only an idiot would claim that's not what they intend. In fact it would be easier to argue that he's actually inciting a genocide.

Reactions: kc78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT