ADVERTISEMENT

Get Up

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
ESPN's new morning talk show with Mike Greenberg, Jalen Rose and Michelle Beadle starts this morning. Given the fact I think Rose is easily the worst former athlete turned media personality and Beadle was very anti FSU during the whole Jameis saga and I don't see Greeny carrying a show, I doubt I'll ever watch it. ESPN is going all in though having the show on the mothership and not one of the other channels.

The thing I really don't understand is that they're putting it up against an already established Golic & Wingo Show. Why are they competing against themselves? Do they really thing Get Up will bring in new viewers to the network? I don't get it.

Reactions: NoleinATL
ESPN is betting that the sum of the parts (in this case Greenberg and Golic) is greater than the whole. That said, I agree it's puzzling why ESPN is pitting these two shows against each other.

They are trying to stack the deck against Golic and Wingo ( on the TV side) by moving them over to espnnews when Get Up starts this am.

Reactions: fsUTampa
They are trying to stack the deck against Golic and Wingo ( on the TV side) by moving them over to espnnews when Get Up starts this am.
I thought that too but those viewers looking for the G&W show will find it and those tuning in for Sports Center on ESPN will find it on Espn2. I did read that ESPN is paying Greenberg over $6mil so much like the SEC, they're protecting and promoting their investment.

Supposedly this was all pushed by Greeny and Golic wasn't happy about it. Golic seems much happier with Wingo and his son on their show anyway.

Makes you wonder what research they are doing and who/why decisions are being made. Bottom line they could roll out garbage (and do in some cases) and they still own the market.

I suppose they are expecting Golic and Wingo to continue to make hay with radio. The new show would then push people towards their streaming service? The best part about Greenie and Golic was the back-and-forth barbs. From an entertainment perspective, you never want the hosts agreeing too much.

I like Greenie but agree Jalen Rose is just incomprehensibly bad. Trying to be opinionated like Barkley but lacking any of the entertainment value that goes with it.

Reactions: noleclone2
Tried to watch it because I like Greenie, turns out that maybe I only like him when contrasted against Golic.

It's a shame that apparently Greenie's ego got the best of him. Mike and Mike was still an amazing show, but Greenie wants to be a journalist more than just a sports jockey, but he doesn't really have the gravitas on his own to do it. Both shows are worse off now as a result.

I haven't watched a weekday morning sportscenter in years. Not because I don't like it but the schedule doesn't allow. I will likely never tune in to Get Up. Jalen Rose is awful in every role he has been in. I don't mind Beadle in the limited things I have seen her in and I like Greenie although I haven't seen him do much of anything other than Mike & Mike. I don't share the ESPN hate that many have on here so I hope it all works out.

I thought Greenie wanted to do his own NY radio show, or something. I mean, this isn’t why he left Mike and Mike, is it. Did the other thing already fizzle, or just never happen?

Espn is paying Greenberg $6m?! That is outrageous. Guy has some talent but not nearly enough to warrant that pay day.

I'm okay with Rose but like many others, Beadle left a bad taste after some holier-than-thou comments during Jameis' scandal(s). Perhaps it's time to give her a second chance though.

Overall the idea of a sports-only morning show just doesn't make sense to me, unless my goal is to bury my head in the sand. If I were in charge of either espn or one of the broadcast networks, I'd do a show that's 45% national/international news, 25% local news/weather, 30% sports. Which ever of the big 3 networks is in last place with its morning show (CBS i think) should adopt such an approach in partnership with their local (non-sinclair) affiliates.

I thought Greenie wanted to do his own NY radio show, or something. I mean, this isn’t why he left Mike and Mike, is it. Did the other thing already fizzle, or just never happen?

He left Mike and Mike to do this new show that started today. I think it is based in New York, and handled more like more mainstream morning shows, although they're still talking about sports. There's nothing groundbreaking that I saw from the first few minutes.

......... Beadle left a bad taste after some holier-than-thou comments during Jameis' scandal(s). Perhaps it's time to give her a second chance though.

Overall the idea of a sports-only morning show just doesn't make sense to me, unless my goal is to bury my head in the sand. If I were in charge of either espn or one of the broadcast networks, I'd do a show that's 45% national/international news, 25% local news/weather, 30% sports. Which ever of the big 3 networks is in last place with its morning show (CBS i think) should adopt such an approach in partnership with their local (non-sinclair) affiliates.

Naa, tiger doesn't change its stripes.
Agree on sports only show, but I will admit, ESPN is no longer targeting me in general.

Naa, tiger doesn't change its stripes.
Agree on sports only show, but I will admit, ESPN is no longer targeting me in general.
I'm willing to give second chances and also admit my reaction to anything even slightly anti-Jameis was pretty visceral and defensive.

As for the sports-only show, would be interesting if ABC did 10-15 minute cut-ins every hour from its espn colleagues, also capitalizing on the fact that two of its' primary anchors, Robin Roberts and Strahan, have sports backgrounds. Prob not worth it for them as they're currently #2 (out of 3) in morning TV and unlikely to take chances until someone (CBS) threatens their position. To me the sad part of this is that CBS probably has the best morning show from a pure news perspective, which is what I crave over fluff and celeb banter.

This was just published.. makes the new streaming $4.99/mo espn+ seem fairly worthless unless you're a fan of some niche sports or small conferences.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/02/e...ril-12/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think they eventually hope to grow it. For me, it's worth it, at least throughout MLS season. It's the only way I can watch Orlando City every week. It used to cost 80 a year for the entire year's access or 50 a year for access to just your team (If I recall the prices correctly). So, 45 a year (If I only subscribe during MLS season) or 60 if I stay on for the entire year seems very reasonable.

If it gave me access to ESPN live tv without a tv subscription or at least offered that as a reasonable add-on for chord cutters, then it may make sense for other fans. But I'm only interested for access to the MLS schedule.

Greenberg---$6.25 Million
Beadle--------$5.0 Million
Rose----------$3.5 Million

Whatever TV executive who thought this debacle was worth $14.5 in salaries, NY lease prices and union prices for support staff in NYC shouldn't be allowed to greenlight a tv show on a cable access channel.

Not really sure what ESPN is hoping to accomplish with ESPN+. I guess it's a decent deal for MLS fans but I can't really see them getting a large audience willing to pay to watch these other niche sports. They keep saying they want to address the cord cutters but this does not do anything to address that issue.

Whatever TV executive who thought this debacle was worth $14.5 in salaries, NY lease prices and union prices for support staff in NYC shouldn't be allowed to greenlight a tv show on a cable access channel.
Beadle $5 mil???? Seriously?? How does that salary compare to Golic and Wingo's?

I think they eventually hope to grow it. For me, it's worth it, at least throughout MLS season. It's the only way I can watch Orlando City every week. It used to cost 80 a year for the entire year's access or 50 a year for access to just your team (If I recall the prices correctly). So, 45 a year (If I only subscribe during MLS season) or 60 if I stay on for the entire year seems very reasonable.

If it gave me access to ESPN live tv without a tv subscription or at least offered that as a reasonable add-on for chord cutters, then it may make sense for other fans. But I'm only interested for access to the MLS schedule.

Isn't MLS Live free? I've watched Orlando City's games on there so far each week without paying.

Not really sure what ESPN is hoping to accomplish with ESPN+. I guess it's a decent deal for MLS fans but I can't really see them getting a large audience willing to pay to watch these other niche sports. They keep saying they want to address the cord cutters but this does not do anything to address that issue.

My guess is they eventually push all of WatchESPN/ESPN3 over to this, forcing everyone to pay extra

Dumb idea to break show up MM.

Dumber idea to name new show, “Get up”.

I agree with who said Mike Jr is annoying. I didn’t want him to be, but he is for some reason.

tenor.gif

I wonder how many Danny Kanells $15 mil will get you?

Reactions: funksouljon
So is Golic and Wingo just not on TV anymore? Couldn't find it this morning. I always can catch the end.

espn should just make two channels - one for the 35+ crowd and one for the under 35 crowd.

espn >35 would be old school sportscenter, highlights only, no talking heads, no memes, and turn its back on the intersection of sports, society, politics, and culture.

espn <35 would focus on dunks, TD celebrations, random debates over random things, social media content, and how our athletes are impacting the world beyond the playing field.

personally i'd prefer most of the >35 but do appreciate the importance of discussing sports/society/politics/culture.

either way, neither channel should have mel kiper, that guy is the bane of modern society.

The best sports talk radio segment that took place in March 2018 on ESPN platforms:

People like different things. I can't stand Golic because, to me, he offers nothing but his "professionals always give 100%" view. Greenie's new show just doesn't appeal to me. I will DVR the Dan LeBatard show daily though.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
It's interesting to me that so many people are fans/not-fans of the different personalities. The espn I used to love had interchangable sportscenter anchors, all of whom were kinda funny-ish but they themselves weren't the product. You tuned in for highlights, a top 10 of wild plays, and that's about it.

I guess when you've got 3-4 channels and you're trying to drive 24/7 viewership, you've got to build more of a brand around content that is individually distinct.

My least favorite shows on espn are the 'talk shows', 'radio shows', and 'debate shows'. I'm cool with the NFL Live, CFB Daily shows but don't like when it gets too personality driven (ie Finebaum). Just give me the news, transactions... save the hype for the dummies.

Bartender, "JACK". I love Neil Everett and Stan Vernett when they do the overnight Sports Center from Los Angeles.

I thought Golic was going to do just radio when that nerd got his TV show going. I can't stand any of the three that are on now but could tolerate Golic and Wingo.

The only thing about Golic Jr I don't care for is the constant Notre Dame is best at everything in the world crap. You like your school, we get it.

They got their shot to deliver ratings, didn't work. I liked it, too.
Some of these guys are better served having podcasts than cable tv shows.

As a content consumer I love it b/c I can listen at 2x speed and skip commercials.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT