ADVERTISEMENT

Got a question for those knowledgable about real estate

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
I’ve been living not just below my means but WAY below my means for about five years or so and we’ve way outgrown my single state worker bachelor pad. And entirely coincidentally my landlord said she’s not renewing next year because she wants to update my hovel and sell it. So in essence I got a kind of BS one month eviction during the holidays but whatever.

I’m only looking to stay in Tally for another year or maybe two. So normally the option would just be to rent BUT we’re both tired of living kind of way below our means (ie can’t show off and have people over and my in laws kind of look at me as a failure when compared to my BIL the doctor even though I make more of than he does, the difference is he’s living in a $1.5 mil house on the ocean and I’m living in a $750 a month hovel on a lake).

So what I’m thinking about doing is just getting a nice but not extravagant place and buying it rather than renting even though I’ll only be there for a year.

So I own two new startup medical companies and my salary between the two is $250k and the projections would have us making in disbursements probably an extra $100k up to $300k for one and another $500k to $1.5m on the other. Ultra conservative projections on one side and good but not amazing projections (ie we’re mostly filled but a lot of lower paying patients) on the other.

But what I’m thinking about buying is just a nice 3 bedroom on a lake by my wife’s work for $300k. It’s not an extravagant purchase at all so if we eat it, that’s really fine as it wouldn’t kill us financially but my old FSU Economics and Finance degree wouldn’t want me to take TOO big of a loss.

Now in the alternative, there’s another decent house (same size, actually newer, not quite as good of a layout and not on the water) I could rent for $1300 a month. On the other side assuming I bought the other house and didn’t pay cash I would assume I would pay roughly $1200 a month in the mortgage and insurance.

So I guess my question is, if I know I’m leaving in a year or two and thus will not likely see an increase in the home value (more likely a big hit as I think the economy will be busting in a year or two) is it worth the $20k to 30k hit (for the transactional costs alone) to have a home I own but like better versus a house I rent that is essentially the same and would only pay $1-2k more to live in.

TLDR question: If the money really doesn’t matter, but you know you’re moving in a year or two. Would you rather rent a house that’s essentially the same just not quite as nice in your opinion or buy and know you’ll have to deal with the ordeal of selling it and for a loss (you can afford but mentally I don’t like losing anything)?

If you know you're leaving in a year or two, don't buy the house. Pay $1,300/month (must be a renters market) and let someone else deal with the headaches of home ownership.

Tally’s cheap! My BIL’s $1.5 mil place in St Pete would probably only go for $500k here (and like $10 million in San Fran). Yeah I’m kind of inclined to go with the rental. It’s the same exact size and number of beds (3) and baths (2) and they’re both only 10 mins from my wife’s work (doesn’t matter for me I work from home and/or travel). I just really like the layout of the for sale property better plus it’s got a nice view of one of the lakes in Southwood.

Waterfront. Location, location, location.

Yeah, that’s part of what’s so tempting about the home for sale. It’s got a really nice view and a much nicer layout (the current open house with big rooms versus the old lots of hallways and segmented small rooms). It would definitely increase my joy by say 10% to live there.

If you know where you eventually want to live, go ahead and buy a place there. Rent it out while you're in Tally.

If you know where you eventually want to live, go ahead and buy a place there. Rent it out while you're in Tally.

Unfortunately we don’t. My wife has one more exam before she’s a full fledged actuary and she’ll be looking for an actuarial firm job in about a year. They’re usually in big cities but we wouldn’t know which one this early.

Reactions: nole71911
Parents kicked you out of their basement?

Basically. I thought my landlord was a sweet old lady and nice FSU booster...until she called me at 7 pm on Sunday to say “I know the holidays are coming up but you’ve got about one month to gtfo”.

Honestly other than the timing it’s for the best. Both of us have hated this place for at least the last three years but uncertainty of her job situation kept us trapped.

Reactions: SoddyNole
Rent what you think you want and see what you like and don't like. A year later you can use that knowledge to purchase a house.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Rent what you think you want and see what you like and don't like. A year later you can use that knowledge to purchase a house.

We definitely know what we want. It’s got to have a nice big kitchen, some skylights for natural lighting, a big porch so I can have a smoker, gas grill AND egg grill, an entertainment room with a decent layout for a home theater, good space/viewing spots for my reef and cold water marine tanks and a game room/man cave so I can display and play all of my vintage video game consoles and soon to be purchased pinball machines and mame cabinet/s. Both the rental and the one up for sale meet all of those requirements.

we’re both tired of living kind of way below our means (ie can’t show off and have people over and my in laws kind of look at me as a failure when compared to my BIL the doctor even though I make more of than he does, the difference is he’s living in a $1.5 mil house on the ocean and I’m living in a $750 a month hovel on a lake).
Wait, so all this time you HAVEN'T been showing off?

Tally’s cheap! My BIL’s $1.5 mil place in St Pete would probably only go for $500k here (and like $10 million in San Fran). Yeah I’m kind of inclined to go with the rental. It’s the same exact size and number of beds (3) and baths (2) and they’re both only 10 mins from my wife’s work (doesn’t matter for me I work from home and/or travel). I just really like the layout of the for sale property better plus it’s got a nice view of one of the lakes in Southwood.
There's oceanfront property in Tallahassee?

RENT, no-brainer imo.

There's oceanfront property in Tallahassee?

RENT, no-brainer imo.

Yeah, I just mean equivalent sized home. It’s just a really nice four bed four bath with some decent entertainment areas but it’s not a giant McMansion or anything.

Last edited:
Anyone else a tad bit disappointed to find out Tribe lives in a shoebox, and not some state-of-the art mansion on an island?

Tell me about it. Why do you think I’m so ready to leave? I’m about half of a mind to say %*%* it, I don’t care about your job wife I’m moving to Maui. I couldn’t as easily do it due to the time change but nothing else would require me to stay on the mainland. But then I realize that would probably result in a divorce.

Ignoring the headache of the purchasing process and the short timeline you are now working on, you would, as you indicate, break even or lose some for a short term. $30k over two years would pay for 1/3 of a new Benz.

Don't forget, when you purchase, you will either have to be amassing the tools and equipment to maintain the house OR have to be hiring people to take care of the upkeep. Mo money.

Just rent if you are content to rent and expect to be leaving 2 years.

With the doubling of the standard deduction. There is no benefit at all to buying and owning for such a short time. Rent.

Buy the house, then use it as a rental property. There are plenty of rental property management companies around (last time I looked) that will make it painless for you.

If that sounds like too much trouble, then just rent someplace you like until you decide it's time to move on. But if you are going to live in it for a year or two, I'd seriously consider buying something with the intent of keeping it.

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
Rent, then buy when you are looking to be in 1 place for an extended period of time. Real estate is in another bubble and I wouldn't want to be into something where I put little down and could be underwater, or put cash down and basically threw it away for a few years of tax benefits.

Real estate is in another bubble and I wouldn't want to be into something where I put little down and could be underwater, or put cash down and basically threw it away for a few years of tax benefits.

I will say that while prices have finally more than rebounded from the last spike in Tally, anecdotally I'm not seeing the frenzy of 'for sale' signs I saw 12 years ago.
Are sales really churning like they were before?

I know several people in my age group who bought condos in Tally just to use for football season. Even if they aren't coming for every game they rent them out for the weekend. Maybe think about looking into that? I understand there are some pretty nice ones near campus or downtown.

You can also rent them out when the Legislature is in session. That's just one option to think about, but otherwise just rent. In your tax bracket you do need some write offs though.

I’ve been living not just below my means but WAY below my means for about five years or so and we’ve way outgrown my single state worker bachelor pad. And entirely coincidentally my landlord said she’s not renewing next year because she wants to update my hovel and sell it. So in essence I got a kind of BS one month eviction during the holidays but whatever.

I’m only looking to stay in Tally for another year or maybe two. So normally the option would just be to rent BUT we’re both tired of living kind of way below our means (ie can’t show off and have people over and my in laws kind of look at me as a failure when compared to my BIL the doctor even though I make more of than he does, the difference is he’s living in a $1.5 mil house on the ocean and I’m living in a $750 a month hovel on a lake).

So what I’m thinking about doing is just getting a nice but not extravagant place and buying it rather than renting even though I’ll only be there for a year.

So I own two new startup medical companies and my salary between the two is $250k and the projections would have us making in disbursements probably an extra $100k up to $300k for one and another $500k to $1.5m on the other. Ultra conservative projections on one side and good but not amazing projections (ie we’re mostly filled but a lot of lower paying patients) on the other.

But what I’m thinking about buying is just a nice 3 bedroom on a lake by my wife’s work for $300k. It’s not an extravagant purchase at all so if we eat it, that’s really fine as it wouldn’t kill us financially but my old FSU Economics and Finance degree wouldn’t want me to take TOO big of a loss.

Now in the alternative, there’s another decent house (same size, actually newer, not quite as good of a layout and not on the water) I could rent for $1300 a month. On the other side assuming I bought the other house and didn’t pay cash I would assume I would pay roughly $1200 a month in the mortgage and insurance.

So I guess my question is, if I know I’m leaving in a year or two and thus will not likely see an increase in the home value (more likely a big hit as I think the economy will be busting in a year or two) is it worth the $20k to 30k hit (for the transactional costs alone) to have a home I own but like better versus a house I rent that is essentially the same and would only pay $1-2k more to live in.

TLDR question: If the money really doesn’t matter, but you know you’re moving in a year or two. Would you rather rent a house that’s essentially the same just not quite as nice in your opinion or buy and know you’ll have to deal with the ordeal of selling it and for a loss (you can afford but mentally I don’t like losing anything)?
Is this serious?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this serious?

Yep.

So Zillow claimed the rental price is $1600 but I see one identical place asking $2000 and another asking $2500 a month. The real estate agent tried to get me to believe I could get $2200 a month renting it out. So I’m starting to think I may just bite the bullet and plan on renting it out after I move. I don’t need to make much if anything as I’m not trying to become a slumlord just trying to rationalize the place I want to live in.

Tribe, you're an entrepreneur - and I work with entrepreneurs every day. One thing they all have in common is a volatile economic situation: even those with successful, growing companies need to mitigate the volatility with some form of inflation hedge. Given the craziness that precious metals have undergone in recent years, that leave real estate as a simple and reliable inflation hedge.

If you perceive a real estate bubble (whether widespread or local to your area) then RE is no good as an inflation hedge, but you do have the ability to set both your entry and exit points on a case-by-case basis...you have the ability to buck the prevailing market trend in RE better than you can with most anything else.

The flip side to that are those that are Career Service employees in a government entity - they have a very stable income but generate little excess cash with which to hedge against long term inflation effects. Accordingly, I push them towards high-involvement/high yield investments that need lots of attention to mitigate risk. Clearly this isn't you - you have a pair of startup companies that require lots of care and feeding.

So, please consider trying to "steal" a house on the cheap (clearly you do not need a trophy property) and hanging onto it after you move out. You can always exit the property at a time and for a price that you set - and if you've got renters in there paying most or all of your ownership expenses, you can take as much time as you feel like to find someone who will over-pay for it. This will work as long as you can afford to have the cash tied up in the equity, which judging by your earlier posts does not seem to be a problem.

Since schools are not a personal concern with no kids, don’t buy in Southwood. Look in Betton or Myers Park for a rental. You will be happier.
Southwood’s School zone is terrible.

Since kids aren’t a concern, you SHOULD consider Southwood...if you like Southwood, that is.

I live in Southwood and would never buy here again if I had it to do over.

So, please consider trying to "steal" a house on the cheap (clearly you do not need a trophy property) and hanging onto it after you move out. You can always exit the property at a time and for a price that you set - and if you've got renters in there paying most or all of your ownership expenses, you can take as much time as you feel like to find someone who will over-pay for it. This will work as long as you can afford to have the cash tied up in the equity, which judging by your earlier posts does not seem to be a problem.

If your time-frame is less than 2 years, you're going to get eaten up with the transaction fees. Owning a single out-of-town property that you don't use, means you're going to need to use a management company which will further cut into future rental income. The only thing you need to do here is put a value on your time. If it makes sense, then do it. Given the personal income numbers being bandied about in his posts, there is no way that this will make sense.

"You can always exit the property at a time and for a price that you set - and if you've got renters in there paying most or all of your ownership expenses, you can take as much time as you feel like to find someone who will over-pay for it."

Keeping quality renters is never a "given". Why take the risk?

I'd rent.

The time it takes to buy and sell (or subsequently run as a rental property) will eat into a busy entrepreneur's schedule. Though considering you post here, I guess you've got a little disposable time :)

I'd rent.

The time it takes to buy and sell (or subsequently run as a rental property) will eat into a busy entrepreneur's schedule. Though considering you post here, I guess you've got a little disposable time :)

Eh, I’m either working from home which is an 8 AM to 11 PM schedule with just lots of downtime in between (ie I probably work only 4 hours a day usually but it’s scattered all over the place). Or I’m traveling. So either way lots of time to screw around on my phone.

I'd rent.

No doubt intellectually renting is the way to do it. The problem is most of the rentals are garbage or grossly overpriced for what it is. As I mentioned there’s a mostly identical house with same layout and options other than 1) it has a useless fireplace eating up space in the main living room which makes tv placement more difficult) and 2) it’s not on the water and this nearly identical property has a posted rental price of $2000. It looks like the closing costs will be about $13k as I’m an attorney and can handle setting up the escrow and doing title search etc... myself to cut into the costs a bit. So $1100 for the mortgage plus $100 for insurance plus about $500 for the closing costs spread out over two years equals $1700. That leaves an extra $300 a month or $8k for everything else. And the maintenance amount we would be setting aside for two years would probably be $6k per the usual estimate. So that’s still a $2k difference between the properties and I would say the risk that the economy is destroyed in two years would be offset by the increased value and joy from a slightly better layout (and utilities from not having a hole in the roof while in Florida) and a better location on the water.

I love a good tribe post (I never can tell if you are trolling us, living a fake projected life on the internet, or are just an interesting character)- I will assume character to respond:

The bottom line as others have mentioned is how do you value your time- buying a place is a time investment (even in the best of situations). Renting is not just a payment for the shelter it is an expense for flexibility and time.

Based on your posts you seem like someone that prioritizes flexibility and experiences and have apparently lived comfortably in a crappy rental for a long time, while being wealthy, so why the need to change right now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT