ADVERTISEMENT

Help setting up direct tv while camping

fsukeylo

Walk-on
Nov 26, 2003
I'm trying to bring my DTV from home to my family's land (in the middle of no where) while camping this summer/fall and was hoping I could get some tips from some of you all that do this while tailgating/traveling. We have power at the land so no need for a generator.

The problem I think I might run into is that all of our receivers are HD receivers and the Dish we have to use is old. So my question is, will my HD boxes work with that dish or do I need to get a Slimline dish, which is what we have at home? Aside from having enough coax cable and a compus2 to help us find the signal, is there anything else we need to know?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Last edited:
Plop your toddlers in front of the television and they'll be as smart as you! Maybe teach them to use that compos so they can run far, far away from your redneck homestead.

I'm trying to bring my DTV from home to my family's land (in the middle of no where) while camping this summer/fall and was hoping I could get some tips from some of you all that do this while tailgating/traveling. We have power at the land so no need for a generator.

The problem I think I might run into is that all of our receivers are HD receivers and the Dish we have to use is old. So my question is, will my HD boxes work with that dish or do I need to get a Slimline dish, which is what we have at home? Aside from having enough coax cable and a compus2 to help us find the signal, is there anything else we need to know?

Thanks for any info in advance.

The old Satellite dish may be able to pick up only one Satellite (or three), but not the 5 of the slimline. The DVR will be able to find the satellite(s). You likely will only get standard def channels.

Reactions: fsukeylo
The old Satellite dish may be able to pick up only one Satellite (or three), but not the 5 of the slimline. The DVR will be able to find the satellite(s). You likely will only get standard def channels.

Good thing my eyes see in HD...

john-fielder-733027.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I'm just razzing the guy. I wouldn't go camping in summer without an AC unit and in winter, I need a warm oriental rug to avoid that chill that seeps up through the ground.

I really have no idea what people see in camping and I personally know a bunch of people that do it every weekend. As much money as some of my friends have spent on their hotel on wheels ,they could buy have bought a huge chunk of wilderness and just hang out there. At least the land won't depreciate like the rv.

I saved one old standard box, then I bought the dome shaped winegaurd automatic sat. dish. Hook it up, with open sky shot, plug and in a in a minute or two, presto. I think you can use the HD box, but may need to change your settings. It's been awhile so I forget exactly, but I have done it.
If you plan to camp and or tailgate a lot, get the automatic dish! One of my best purchases!

I really have no idea what people see in camping and I personally know a bunch of people that do it every weekend. As much money as some of my friends have spent on their hotel on wheels ,they could buy have bought a huge chunk of wilderness and just hang out there. At least the land won't depreciate like the rv.

We love it, yes more glamping. We have two older lab dogs, they go where we go. It is costly to kennel both or find a motel that takes 2 larger dogs.

We camp in Tally for home games (and to some away games wherever they are) and it saves us outrageous high motel prices. Go to tailgates early, game, tailgate after the game a bit, and a few minute drive back to the camper. Love it

We love it, yes more glamping. We have two older lab dogs, they go where we go. It is costly to kennel both or find a motel that takes 2 larger dogs.

We camp in Tally for home games (and to some away games wherever they are) and it saves us outrageous high motel prices. Go to tailgates early, game, tailgate after the game a bit, and a few minute drive back to the camper. Love it

We have camped at Coe Landing at least one game each of the last few seasons. Beautiful spot. Fishing, etc..and fun to ride my skateboard there.

Reactions: KevNole
We have camped at Coe Landing at least one game each of the last few seasons. Beautiful spot. Fishing, etc..and fun to ride my skateboard there.
We like Coes, small, and quiet. Very nice on the river. The only issue for us is we live north of Valdosta Ga, so it is extra travel. We usually book Tally Rv for all home games. But would love to go back to Coes

A few of our overall favorite parks nearby are.
St. Andrews St Park PC Bch, have to book 9 months out for a good, large water site

Ga. Veterans State Park-Lake Blackshear, super awesome-Ga reservations suck as you can NOT reserve a specific site in most cases.

Hannah Abbey-Near the Navy Base in Jax. Fl. Huge park, access to beach etc.

Seminole St Park or however it is named, kind of in the middle of notta, but nice.

Indian Springs in central Ga, beautiful.

Reed Bingham- right near our home area, small, nice quiet, small lake.

I am missing plenty but that is a few right off the top......

This thread reminds me of the first time we took out our little tent-trailer. We decided to to a test run and took it to a KOA up near Mt Shasta. Figured that was sort of like camping, but not really as it was right in town and had all the hook-ups, running water, electric, etc.
Anyway, there we are with our little pop-up cooking over our campfire when this giant motorcoach pulls in a few spots down. Looks like something you'd see a rock band tour in. After a few hours the family files out and one of the baggage doors opens and they take some lawn chairs out and set them up facing the RV. Then another baggage door opens and it's a 50" TV screen and they all sit in front if it watching the same crap they would see at home on their couch. Funny if it wasn't so sad.

I do it all the time, live in my RV for a good part of the year. You would be better off renting a standard box from DTV for $5 a month, it's so much easier. I have a,Winegard automatic finder and it's a breeze. I will be on the road driving all day, call me and I can answer everything. 850 527 0701

This thread reminds me of the first time we took out our little tent-trailer. We decided to to a test run and took it to a KOA up near Mt Shasta. Figured that was sort of like camping, but not really as it was right in town and had all the hook-ups, running water, electric, etc.
Anyway, there we are with our little pop-up cooking over our campfire when this giant motorcoach pulls in a few spots down. Looks like something you'd see a rock band tour in. After a few hours the family files out and one of the baggage doors opens and they take some lawn chairs out and set them up facing the RV. Then another baggage door opens and it's a 50" TV screen and they all sit in front if it watching the same crap they would see at home on their couch. Funny if it wasn't so sad.

Went from a pop up tent trailer when I was younger. That and regular tents as a kid. Then we got an OLD '89 Fleetwood Bounder 34" motorhome. It was build tough, but that 454 chevy burnt tons of fuel, and was when gas prices started to sky rocket. Plus we seemed to always take a 2nd vehicle for getting around (unhooking to go to a store or sight seeing is a bit much if often). Then we bought our 30' light weight pull behind w/ a super slide out. Large open plan, rear kitchen, makes perfect fit for the two of us and our two large lab mutts. Plus can sleep others if kids etc if they stay over. I haven't "roughed it" camping wis since a kid. It is about saving money for us, enjoying sights, state parks, going to games out of town (includes Tally for us) affordably! I can hook up a tv anywhere there is a shot to the open SW sky for sports etc.

I've tried a few times to set up my DTV at the camp (Lake Seminole - East Bank Army Corps Park) with no luck. I usually wander over to some other site and "get myself invited" to watch the Noles as we only camp during away games.

I use a pop-up as it is simple and easy to pull. I got rid of a large 30' TT and then found the pop-up on Craig's list. Sold off the old truck that towed the trailer (8-10 MPG) and got a minivan (22-24 while towing PU). The pop-up is easy to maintain and I store it under a tin roof pole barn I built to keep it out of the elements. Has ice cold air, king bed on one end, full on the other. I set up a porta-potty for the wife to use at night.

Wife and I have camped with kids, and now without for near 40 years. I like camping with amenities. Running water, power and a shower-house/bathroom. Started with a tent, then pop-up, then tent again, then Travel Trailer, then back to a pop-up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT