ADVERTISEMENT

High quality Video replay & notes from Willie Taggart's introductory PC

Dot Com

Owner and administrator of Warchant.com
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, Florida
warchant.com
And we're starting. The man of the hour has arrived.

Stan Wilcox opens explaining how excited the administration is to have Coach Taggart. Said his philosophy and passion was what they wanted. Said Taggart called this his "dream job."

Said he has heard from a number of former players in last 24 hours saying they love the hire.

Wilcox says it was a "very smooth and quick process." Introduces FSU President John Thrasher.

Thrasher praising Wilcox and his staff. Impressed and proud how smoothly and professionally they were able to do this.

Thrasher says this is an "exciting time" for FSU. Says they talked a lot with Taggart about academics and his philosophy on leading young men. Was very impressed.

Thrasher with a little dig at Jimbo, says this was a "no brainer." Gets an applause from supporters in room.

Willie takes over now. Starts by telling everyone to "not be afraid to chase your dreams."

Says if you were living in his house as a kid, you'd have thought everyone was an FSU graduate, even though they hadn't. You couldn't have lived in that house if you weren't a 'Nole.

Says he wanted to play at FSU. "But I guess I wasn't good enough." No matter where he went, always rooted for the Seminoles. One exception was when he was at USF and played against them. Says his brother told him he was cheering for FSU that day.

Says he always wanted to be a 'Nole. "I can finally say I'm in now."

Says it was a tough decision because he loved the people at Oregon. Had a great relationship with his players. "It wasn't an easy decision."

Says he had a "profound moment" as a father. Was talking to his wife about the decision. His 16-year-old son said, "Dad, I know you're struggling with this decision. I know this is your dream job." Said I don't want to leave, but if you're gonna chase your dream, I'll ride with you. Said he was so proud of him. (Getting choked up.)

Points out his mother, who's in the front row. Says he lost his dad this past summer. Thinks his dad put in a good word for him up in Heaven to help him get this job and get back close to his mom.

Can't wait to get on the road recruiting. "There's a lot of work to be done." Says he will get out tonight to start to "salvage this recruiting class."

Players have to have great character, be a great football player and try your best in the classroom. Have to have 2 of those 3 things to have a chance. They'll work with players on the third. If they only have one, can't be here."

Says the bowl season will give him a chance to evaluate the players and coaches.

Three foundational tenets of the program: We don't make excuses, we don't blame others for problems and we will go out and get things done. "Go Noles." And does a chop.

This job is different than others he's had. "This is not a a rebuild. This is more of a realignment. Exciting to have great players.

Said he's met with the team and thanked them for allowing him to be part of their team.

Asked if it's sunk in that he's the first black head football coach at FSU. He points out that Odell was the first, he's the first full-time. Says he hopes it will inspire others.

"I'm living in hog heaven right now." Ready to get FSU back to where he remembers it being.

Asked about the early signing period, says it's tough because they have to build relationships. One positive is you can drive a lot at FSU. Easy to get to a lot of schools. Says kids want to be at FSU because it's a great school, not just because of the coach. But will have to build relationships with recruits. It's a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it.

Says he only left Oregon because this was a "perfect opportunity." Wouldn't have left Oregon for just any job.

Said he liked what he heard about FSU from the administration about the future: "Everybody's locked arm in arm." Said there's a vision and a plan that he liked.

Has to evaluate the coaches here before making decisions on his staff. Will ask recruits to trust him.

Said first contact was Thursday, FSU asked if he would have interest. Didn't meet Stan til Sunday. But said those days were awful dealing with the media. Because he wanted to be honest, that nothing had happened yet.

Said he met with Stan, Thrasher and Ed Burr on Monday. Said it was a tough process.

It was the 'Noles and the Bucs in his house. Favorite players were Deion "Of course Prime Time." Charlie Ward. He was doing the spread before everybody else. Derrick Brooks. Peter Warrick is a good friend. Grew up in same neighborhood.

Asked about the "Gulf Coast offense." Describes it as "lethal simplicity." Be simple when it comes to teaching players. Allow players to play football and play fast.

Walked to the 50-yard line when he got here. "I made it." Said he was thrilled to see they got his name right on the video board.

During process, spoke with Deion Sanders, Peter Warrick, Corey Fuller and others.

Got advice from the Harbaughs ... his mentors Jim, Jack and John. "They're my rock."

Said he hasn't had a chance to evaluate FSU players yet. Said the only game he saw was the first half of the Boston College game. Can't be about the past. Has to be about what he's doing now.

Defensively, same thing "lethal simplicity." Not a complicated guy. Not locked on 3-4 or 4-3. "I want a damned good defense." Excuse my language but they had a bunch of "badasses" back in the day. Want to be like that. Be physical and fast.

Anything he's learned from different spots he's been? "All these kids want to be loved." They want discipline. They want structure. When you touch their hearts and minds, they'll do everything for you.

Mentions he knows they have a "great running back."

That's it for now. Will have plenty more coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News