ADVERTISEMENT

History of FSU bar scene?

One way they're cracking down now is kicking fraternities off campus - and the fraternities apparently aren't wising up very well to reverse the trend, at least not nationwide. In the last two weeks two young men have died in hazing events that included alcohol at other schools.
Deaths directly attributed to Alcohol abuse just didn't seem to be a thing back in the day, or maybe they just weren't reported. I don't think kids had the disposable income back in the 60's and 70's that they do now, and getting trashed every night just didn't happen. Yes, there was plenty of drinking, but pot and other drugs became more popular around 1970 and at many parties people were doing drugs rather than Jell-O shots.
Historic watering holes were of course Kens, the Keg, and then the Electric Eye. With the drinking age at 21 and pretty strict enforcement we just didn't do a bunch of bar stuff. Plus the fraternities could all serve booze in their houses.
Ah yes, the Electric Eye...........brings back some great memories.

Early on, in the late 70's the drinking age was briefly 18 and the bars didn't close at 2 am.
Steve Perry and David Lee Roth of Van Halen were just in the making. The Silver Slipper was a hot corner before the Phryst......

I'm surprised that none of us old timers mentioned THE TEMPO on Tennessee
Several people would sneak in drinks to watch a quite interesting and intriguing movie at Randy's Campus Theatre; speaking for a friend.

Early on, in the late 70's the drinking age was briefly 18 and the bars didn't close at 2 am.
Steve Perry and David Lee Roth of Van Halen were just in the making. The Silver Slipper was a hot corner before the Phryst......
It changed to 18 in about 1970.

I got into every club/bar I wanted in the late 70's and didn't turn 21 for 3 years. I don't remember anybody checking for age.

Drinking age in Florida changed from 18 to 19 October 1, 1980. It didn’t change from 19 to 21 until October 1st, 1985. Not a lot of carding in the late 70s.....but I do remember some 18 year olds were asked to leave during the switch in 1980....

It would take a few generations of Noles to piece together the history of Tallahassee nightlife. It is very cyclical and very few establishments last more than a handful of years. SugarMill, The Phyrst, Club Palm beach, Doc's, Grand Finale, The Pub, Rooster's etc were all very popular when I showed up in 1987 or while I was a student and were gone in that same time period or shortly thereafter. I remember Yanni's opened as a coffee bar and you could smell the love cigarettes coming from the place down at Ken's. Yanni leaned very quickly that cheap drinks and live cover bands were better for his bottom line so he leased the parcel next door, knocked down the wall and the rest is history.
I worry that the strip where Ken's and others are located days are numbered. Not sure how viable the businesses are with collegetown etc. And the land is relatively valuable. A lot of memories in that building.
Wow Club Palm Beach.
1st time I ever got drunk was in there...probably ‘92. Jimmy was slinging some mean Long Island Ice Tea’s that night.

Reactions: ChiefWB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT