ADVERTISEMENT

How Did You Become A Fan Of FSU?

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Did you attend? If so, what years? I am not one of those who think you have to be an alumni to be a true fan.

For me, growing up in South Florida in the 60s and 70s, there wasn't much coverage of FSU. Those were the days of three channels and maybe one or two games on TV a week. We saw more national games than regional.

I did my first two years at Palm Beach Junior College playing baseball. Destroyed my ankle ending my baseball career. Ended up following my older sister up to Tallahassee in 1980. That was a great time to be at FSU. The win @ #3 Nebraska is something we'll never forget. The spontaneous celebration closed down Tennessee Street.

When we moved back to the panhandle, one of the first things we did was get season tickets. We are a Nole family regardless of the fact that I'm the only one to graduate from there.

What about you?

Growing up in Tampa, all I ever heard was "Go Gators This" and "Go Gators That". Got sick of hearing about them all the time, and listening on my transistor on weekends, the FSU games sounded a whole lot better than the Gators with Otis Boggs boring everyone to death.

When it came time, I was off to FSU and never regretted it..even during the gone but not forgotten Larry Smith Days.

My younger sister went to if
I went up to watch turds play the noles

Bobby Bowden was it for me!!

My sister switched majors and went to FSU

I followed, but I had to go to tcc first

Never made it to FSU, dad needed my help so I left school to help

I never wanted to go to uf. Couldn’t stand Gainesville.
My family would drive through Tally on US 90 (Tennessee Street) on our vacations and I thought the campus was so beautiful. I didn’t know much about the football team because Jacksonville was all gator all the time.
I agreed with my Dad in the end and chose FSU because the other schools I liked were out of state and much more expensive.
Plus all the cool kids from my class were going to FSU. Loved it from the instant I set foot on campus.

Great thread @DFSNOLE !

I never was a big football fan growing up in the D.C. area. My Dad went to the University of Maryland and is a huge alumni supporter. It's basically his passion in life; almost like a religious devotion. He will probably be buried at the school. 😆

When I was in high school, I watched FSU destroy Maryland (I wasn't a Maryland fan) and fell in love with FSU football, specifically Peter Warrick. I became obsessed with the team and went nuts when they beat VT for the championship. Amazing night.

The next year was heartbreaking when they (I don't say "we") lost to OU in the Orange Bowl. (I still blame Marc Richt for not using the spread offense. It boggles my mind.)

I then started my freshman year at Maryland (UMD) and didn't really like it. Just the atmosphere of College Park; it's a dump basically.

My parent's knew at this point I was a huge FSU fan and we flew to the Maryland game in Tally and watched the game. This was the beginning of the "Lost Decade" with Chris Rix. (Shudder)

We had a blast in Tally and I considered transferring. I think I applied to FSU and they said I should take classes at TCC so I did one summer. I lived at Osceola Hall for 7 weeks or so.

Tally was basically empty during the summer. I was very lonely. I just didn't know what I was doing. I would walk around town at night lost in my thoughts. My roommate and I also started smoking marijuana heavily. That didn't help my grades. I had a fake I.D. of New Jersey I used to buy beer for some guys in the dorm.

I did go to football practice almost daily. It was the highlight of my time there. I'd watch practice in person and see Chris Rix, Anquan Boldin and Darnell Dockett. I bought a college football magazine and asked Chris Rix to sign it after practice one day for my brother's birthday. He was very friendly during our 30 second interaction.

About this time, I discovered Warchant. I started posting on the message boards. I posted a daily practice update. One day, a security guard approached me and told me that practice was closed to the public so I left and went back to Osceola Hall dejected.

I went back to UMD after the summer and never went back to Tally although I did go to several FSU vs. UMD games in College Park. I always sat in the UMD section and secretly rooted for FSU. :)

I'm still a huge FSU football fan 25 years later almost.

Go Noles!

Last edited:
Never stepped foot inside doak campbell actually..

When I first started getting into college football as a 10 year old was the late 90s. Fsu was the cool team to me.

The uniforms, helmets, the logo.. Peter Warrick. Travis minor. Tay Cody.. the tomahawk chop… Bobby Bowden.. Mickey and his sunflower seeds.. all that to a 10 year old was awesome

Been hooked ever since here in Ohio.

I grew up watching Bonanza with grandad from when I was three years old. I then developed a love for cowboys and Indians. Fast forward to the age of five years old and I found myself watching Dances with Wolves, starring Kevin Costner, while I was on a RV camping trip throughout the smoky mountains with my grandparents. I was fascinated with the Wild West and Indians. I soon discovered that Florida had Indians. The Seminole Tribe of Florida. I would run around at various campgrounds playing cowboys and Indians. I once got in trouble for running around a campground with nothing on but a wash cloth and makeshift spear that was really just a branch that had fallen from a tree. Another time I got busted by a maintenance worker for building a teepe out of palmetto branches and starting a small fire with fallen moss next to the shuffle board courts.

To make a long story short, I thought Osceola & Renegade was the coolest thing in the world. An Indian warrior on horseback with a spear that was on fire was way cooler than any animal mascot or symbol other college or nfl teams had.

Then I discovered Warrick Dunn. My dad was watching a FSU game one evening and made me sit down and watch the “little guy” who couldn’t be tackled which ended up being Warrick Dunn. My dad got me a FSU #28 jersey and helmet. I was hooked. Watching Warrick Dunn made me a fan of FSU. Family attended as well and the folksy nature of Bowden just solidified it.

I am very critical of FSU because I want them to be the best.

Rix was turd killer!

FSU vs Miami was the best college football ever played when they met!! Folks from both sides long for those two to be on top again!

Remember when dexter carter picked up the flag and put it on the Miami players head?

Haha, good stuff!

I grew up in Maryland during the Boomer Esiason and Len Bias eras. When I was senior in high school, my parents moved to Florida. I stayed and did 2 years at a small college in the mountains, so I could ski each night, which I did! They bribed me to move to Florida with a new car and here I am.

Went to a diploma nursing school in Miami and wanted to get a BS degree. Applied to UF, FSU and USF. Accepted to all 3. Went to visit a friend at FSU, went to a few football games and was hooked. I accepted my admission to FSU and when I moved up to Tally, was told they would not accept my credits from MD. I was not about to do 2 years of college over again, so I packed up, moved back to Boca and went to FAU, who accepted all my credits. I earned my BSN and MSN from FAU.

Have loved the Noles since 1988, daughter just graduated from FSU this year, been a season ticket holder for multiple years and will always be a Nole, even if my degree says otherwise.

I can remember lying in my bedroom listening to Noles games on the radio when Gary Huff was our QB. Not really sure why, although I know one of my dad's business partners was an FSU grad (the other was a gator). A bit after that, in the 1979, my brother decided to go to FSU; I followed him there a few years later.

Went to a football camp in 83 and while watching defensive tape they showed FSU defensive schemes and plays. There was an interview with Bobby Bowden as well. After injuring my way out of any meaningful scholarship (paying for college wasn't an option) I joined the USAF and shipped out overseas. After a T12 fracture in 87 I would listen to AFN radio while laid up and for some reason the FSU games were on that year. Listened to them beat Michigan St, Auburn, Southern Miss and Florida. Got a TV and watched my first game vs Nebraska in the Fiesta bowl. Have watched on TV or live nearly every game since (even in the bad years). During the Willie times I was overseas and got up to watch them play and turned the game off in the second quarter, i felt bad and got back up and watched the rest.

I was able to take some FSU classes while in the military through off site locations but finished my BS and MS through UMD and Embry Riddle.

Funny thing about it is that I don't normally go to funerals or services for any reason and catch flak from family members for it. However, in 2021 I got in the car and drove two hours to attend the service for Bobby Bowden. Cant explain why but felt compelled to do it. Maybe its that through football and a person I didn't know I was provided the motivation and focus to press though difficult times. FSU football is an outlet for me, a place to watch, listen and escape from the pressures of every day BS. Its the only time where I can sit undisturbed for 3 or so hours every weekend in the fall.

Rix was turd killer!

FSU vs Miami was the best college football ever played when they met!! Folks from both sides long for those two to be on top again!

Remember when dexter carter picked up the flag and put it on the Miami players head?

Haha, good stuff!

Remember when Rix threw 18 interceptions to Sean Taylor over his career?

:(

I grew up in Maryland during the Boomer Esiason and Len Bias eras. When I was senior in high school, my parents moved to Florida. I stayed and did 2 years at a small college in the mountains, so I could ski each night, which I did! They bribed me to move to Florida with a new car and here I am.

Went to a diploma nursing school in Miami and wanted to get a BS degree. Applied to UF, FSU and USF. Accepted to all 3. Went to visit a friend at FSU, went to a few football games and was hooked. I accepted my admission to FSU and when I moved up to Tally, was told they would not accept my credits from MD. I was not about to do 2 years of college over again, so I packed up, moved back to Boca and went to FAU, who accepted all my credits. I earned my BSN and MSN from FAU.

Have loved the Noles since 1988, daughter just graduated from FSU this year, been a season ticket holder for multiple years and will always be a Nole, even if my degree says otherwise.

Cool story!

I met Boomer Esiason briefly at a Maryland basketball game a long time ago.

He was super friendly.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
Remember when Rix threw 18 interceptions to Sean Taylor over his career?

:(

He had his ups and downs, but was all Nole!

The kid had issues to deal with with family, that were very stressful and embarrassing for a young man
Add that to the stress of football etc it’s a tough load

So I cut him some slack, you should too

Reactions: DFSNOLE and goldmom
I grew up in SW FLA watching Michigan football (dad, grandparents, aunts / uncles attended UM) and absolutely hated FSU when they were systematically destroyed the wolverines in the 1991.

I graduated HS in 1994 and had a quick stint playing small time college football but West Virginia just wasn't made for this Florida boy. Had to un-do all the liberal arts credits which didn't transfer and quickly got my AA before transferring to FSU in 1997 (most of my HS friends went there instead of uf). Thankfully my degree is in Civil / Environmental Engineering and it allowed me to stay until Dec of 2020. Not a bad time to be at FSU right?

I've slowly weaned off Michigan and am fully invested in FSU. In fact, we took nearly 20 people to the Seminole Hard Rock in 2016 to watch FSU beat Michigan for a 2nd time (this time with me fully partisan to the Garnet and Gold).

GO NOLES!!!

Last edited:
18? Rix didn't have a good record vs Miami but he didn't throw 18 picks to Sean Taylor. In fact he didn't even throw that many to Miami. In fact he threw 9 to Miami and 3 to Taylor all in the same season.

I was joking. I couldn't remember the exact amount of picks Rix threw but remember he threw many.

He also got lost to Miami more than any other football player, I think.

I've slowly weaned off Michigan and am fully invested in FSU. In fact, we took nearly 20 people to the Seminole Hard Rock in 2016 to watch FSU beat Michigan for a 2nd time (this time with me fully partisan to the Garnet and Gold).

GO NOLES!!!
In case you weren't aware, Jabrill Peppers didn't play in that game.

I was joking. I couldn't remember the exact amount of picks Rix threw but remember he threw many.

He also got lost to Miami more than any other football player, I think.

Dude he put together many 4 th qtr drives against the scum to regain the lead
Then our defense allowed Miami to score

Rix would again get us into field goal range and you know the rest

Honestly you can’t hang it all on him!

Mickeys prevent defense didn’t prevent much over the years

Reactions: goldmom and DFSNOLE
Dude he put together many 4 th qtr drives against the scum to regain the lead
Then our defense allowed Miami to score

Rix would again get us into field goal range and you know the rest

Honestly you can’t hang it all on him!

Mickeys prevent defense didn’t prevent much over the years

Rix was an awful QB. He would throw ducks to the other team and miss wide open WR's all the time. He couldn't read a defense.

Look how well he did in the NFL. Not. :)

You are free to have your own beliefs.

Rix was an awful QB. He would throw ducks to the other team and miss wide open WR's all the time. He couldn't read a defense.

Look how well he did in the NFL. Not. :)

You are free to have your own beliefs.

I just think he never got better.. he had some arm talent.. but to me he was the same player as a Sr making the same mistakes as he did as a Fr..

Jeff Bowden did him no favors either.

He would make some throws that we phenomenal. Like the 4th and 14 to Robinson in the swamp.. that was a helluva throw. On a line, right on the money

But then make some throws that were like wounded ducks.. definitely frustrating to watch

Man that was unbearable.. like hello, fsu is missing a pretty good player themselves.. ever heard of Derwin James, the best safety in the freakin country!?

The announcers MAYBE mentioned Derwin one time?
Other than the Bama FSU game that's one of the most biased announcing jobs I've heard. That included Herbie and Fowler creaming themselves every Clemson game and the first half against Old Miss.

I just think he never got better.. he had some arm talent.. but to me he was the same player as a Sr making the same mistakes as he did as a Fr..

He would make some throws that we phenomenal. Like the 4th and 14 to Robinson in the swamp.. that was a helluva throw. On a line, right on the money

But then make some throws that were like wounded ducks.. definitely frustrating to watch
Wasn't there something about his small hands?

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777

Everyone mentions that throw in the Swamp. He had like 50 ducks before and after it. :)

Everyone mentions that throw in the Swamp. He had like 50 ducks before and after it. :)

lol don’t confuse me with a Rix defender..

He wasn’t my cup of tea at QB.. but it wasn’t like he didn’t make ANY good plays while at fsu.. he just didn’t make near enough.

He and Jeff Bowden was a deadly combo.. and not in a good way

When looking at his stats earlier today he threw 40 picks in 1042 attempts which is 3.8%. Jamies Winston threw 28 picks in 851 attempts which works out to 3.3%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT