ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you are Mr. Mom

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
I’m usually out the door right after my daughter wakes up for school and home after she’s had dinner and almost ready for bed. But this week my wife got really sick with a viral infection and has been on bed rest after a night at the hospital. So been up to me to get the little one to school, ballet — we’ve had a series of doctors appointment starting to deal with her kidney issues that’s been my responsibility to get her to and talk her through what each doctor is doing. I’ve actually enjoyed it a lot. Sucks when I have to work until 2 am catching up - but if I didn’t have to work I think I would enjoy this and, of course, the day drinking is awesome :)

My wife’s schedule and mine don’t cross paths nearly as much as we’d prefer, but it works for us for now so we don’t have to use daycare.

She goes to work, I wake up with our 1 and a half year old. I don’t go into work until 1 pm, so I’m with the little lady all morning, & then I drop her off at my wife’s work around noon. Hang out (my wife is literally alone at her place of work) until I go to work.

It’s pretty hectic, but i wouldn’t change anything; I get more quality time than most fathers do with their kids. And it’s amazing.

Reactions: Lurker1999
Not really into the archaic “Mr Mom” mindset.

My wife and I both have high level jobs that require a lot of us. We also have two kids who deserve a lot from us. We contribute equally as providers, parents, spouses, and household managers.

My wife is up and out the door by about 7am, while I "work" from home. My daughter doesn't get up until about 7:30 since she doesn't need to be at school until about 9am. I walk her to school every morning, then walk back out and meet her after school for the walk home. Then it is get ready and head to soccer 3 night a week.

Weekends is when my wife & daughter spend a lot of time together. During the week it is me doing a lot with my daughter. At this point I wouldn't want it any other way.

Reactions: NebNoles
When I am home I am up for breakfast and going off to school. Would take my kids or pick them up places before they could drive and would sometimes take them lunch at school. My son is in college now and my daughter is a senior in HS; so these days are going away soon. I like doing it in part because I travel so much and 1 on 1 time with the kids is important. My daughter and I go Christmas shopping together every year as kind of a daddy/daughter date and she works out with me when she has time in her schedule and I am home.
On a side note it is interesting watching dudes check your daughter out at the gym. A few guys have tried the "hey what's your name or how long have you worked out here" only to get shot down. If you have a daughter hearing her say "I don't want a boyfriend I have things to do with my life" when she was 15 or so is a very nice thing to hear.

It’s 50/50 between mom and me.

I’m looking at a possible new job that will require a lot of travel. Wife is back in school as a full time student. Kids will be in daycare full time starting October. So Mom will be doing the heavy lifting with kids of new job happens.

We do what it takes to make sure it’s a fair work load. And to honest, I like being “Mr Mom” as much as possible. I can’t get enough of those little jokers.

I'm quite lucky as work schedule allows me to be around my kids all the time. See them in morning before bus, get home around 445p and then its off to sports. I coach my two sons baseball, lacrosse and basketball teams. School district asked me to run the middle school hoops program so I get to coach my son at school ball & AAU level which is quite special. Coach my daughters rec hoops team which is a blast b/c girls actually listen!

I'm very fortunate at this point in my life.

I'm quite lucky as work schedule allows me to be around my kids all the time. See them in morning before bus, get home around 445p and then its off to sports. I coach my two sons baseball, lacrosse and basketball teams. School district asked me to run the middle school hoops program so I get to coach my son at school ball & AAU level which is quite special. Coach my daughters rec hoops team which is a blast b/c girls actually listen!

I'm very fortunate at this point in my life.

Very true not being around my kids very much for 6 or 7 years really adjusted my thoughts. I have friends that are retiring from the military now and they specifically waited to have kids so they would be around more as the kids grew older.

Not really into the archaic “Mr Mom” mindset.

My wife and I both have high level jobs that require a lot of us. We also have two kids who deserve a lot from us. We contribute equally as providers, parents, spouses, and household managers.
Same. That said, I stayed home with my sick son on Monday and it reminded me of just how much work it can be. I am the oldest of 8 children and days like that really make me thankful for my mother and the time she stayed at home with us. I have no doubt she looked forward to the summer ending more than any person I know.

Big time right now as my wife is out of town. Normally we both do a bit. I do almost all the cooking and she does most of the other household stuff. I do the math and science homework help and she does the other subjects.

I quit my consulting job when they were very young to be able to spend more time with them and help out more.

When my girls were small, my wife would work a few hours in the morning, and then I'd meet her with the kids around lunch time and go to my job like 1-9. On weekends she worked 7am-7pm both days. So I had them breakfast/morning every weekday and all day every weekend. I always did great with it and never didn't like it. We eventually settled into more traditional schedules, but then I was always responsible for the kids from the time I got home, and all weekend.

I was lucky I never traveled much and always got plenty of time with my kids, and yet now that they're grown up, I still wish it was more. I can't say I would have felt this way at 20, but by 30, I totally would have rather been a house husband with the kids and rather my wife had the high paying job. Probably would have been more rewarding for both of us, but it just wasn't in the cards. Other than financially, my career hasn't been in the least rewarding, especially compared to time with my kids.

Very true not being around my kids very much for 6 or 7 years really adjusted my thoughts. I have friends that are retiring from the military now and they specifically waited to have kids so they would be around more as the kids grew older.

We get one shot at the childhood stage, don't want to miss a moment. Guys I work with whose kids entered college regret missing time b/c of work stuff that was not important.

Same. That said, I stayed home with my sick son on Monday and it reminded me of just how much work it can be. I am the oldest of 8 children and days like that really make me thankful for my mother and the time she stayed at home with us. I have no doubt she looked forward to the summer ending more than any person I know.

To this day your dad worked harder than any person I've ever met

Reactions: runkpanole
My wife stayed at home for a majority of our kids' childhoods. I don't think I could do it, but my wife was definitely into it.

My wife stayed at home for a majority of our kids' childhoods. I don't think I could do it, but my wife was definitely into it.

Yeah, my wife did the same. The funny thing is, I COULD have done it, and she definitely WASN'T into it. She did a fantastic job, but we both would have been happy to switch places. But it's just the way it went with incomes.

I do what I can to help when I'm around, which isn't as much as I'd like it to be. When I'm in town I'm as engaged as possible. But by no means do I meaningfully contribute to the day to day.

I have a few friends who are stay at home Dads, seems like a lot of work.

After our daughter was born, my wife took a job in the evenings at a local Canada Dry distributorship reconciling the books for the daily deliveries. I had my own construction company. She left for work as I came home. I enjoyed the one on one time I had with my daughter.

We get one shot at the childhood stage, don't want to miss a moment. Guys I work with whose kids entered college regret missing time b/c of work stuff that was not important.
So true. When we had had kids my philosophy was we had kids and whatever I want is no longer important. Raising our kids to be the best at life and whatever they choose was the only thing that mattered. That doesn't mean you spoil them or use material things to solve problems; it means you are always there to help them understand how life works and listen. Listening being the most important thing ever. You can give them advice and they likely will not listen right away; but as they get older they will get it. That and giving them an example to follow.
The one thing I regret and I had no choice in it was not being around for a bunch of years after 9-11. It is something I think about all the time and while I realize it was out of my control; it still bothers me.
Now as my kids move into adult hood; how we adjust to that as parents is so important. It is a change for them and us. Bottom line is when I die if everyone I know says he was a great dad then I succeeded; that is all that really matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT