ADVERTISEMENT

How was Doak After Dark?

noleforever95

Feb 6, 2013
Greensboro, NC
Hey folks.I haven't seen a thread regarding this and was just curious, for those who went, how was it? Hopefully awesome, but I'd love to hear from those who attended the event, as well as how folks trying out the Champions Club enjoyed the experience. Thanks!

The concert was good. but I think it would have looked better as far as attendance and viewed better by everyone especially the champions club if the stage was on the 50.
Looked like about 30k people there .

Champions Club was great. Almost makes me want to change my season tickets to there. Agree with the other poster that they should have setup the stage on the 50. Or perhaps show the concert on the jumbo-tron.

Champions Club was great. Almost makes me want to change my season tickets to there. Agree with the other poster that they should have setup the stage on the 50. Or perhaps show the concert on the jumbo-tron.

Apparently, the artist production people requested that it not be shown on the screen. Not sure why, but maybe they were concerned about the lighting?

Reactions: dA22bY
I worked it (I'm an LCSO Deputy) and I thought the last three acts were pretty good, even though I'm not a huge fan of any of the artists.

Agree with the comments about having the stage on the 50...attendance looked to be between 20-25K.

I was there. Sound was great down on the field where I was. Thought they would use the Jimbotron, but I wouldnt have been able to see it if they did. It messing with the lighting makes sense though.

I was a little disappointed with attendance. I figured it would have been more than that with the lineup. Most sections was full about half way up. Nothing in top level of CC. Field was mostly full except for parts of back half.

They had tickets heavily discounted leading up to it. So that should tell you all you need to know about attendance. Never known a concert to do that before.

It was clear that they over estimated the amount of tickets they'd sell. As mentioned the stage was set up for 45,000-50,000 people. So there was a lot of unused areas and everyone looked spread out. However they underestimated the food/beverage staffers. Tying to get a beer in between acts came with a 30 minute plus wait in line. They were selling 16oz aluminum cans and bottles but were pouring them in cups. This caused for long delays and lots of foam. The sound was great though.

I was there. Sound was great down on the field where I was. Thought they would use the Jimbotron, but I wouldnt have been able to see it if they did. It messing with the lighting makes sense though.

I was a little disappointed with attendance. I figured it would have been more than that with the lineup. Most sections was full about half way up. Nothing in top level of CC. Field was mostly full except for parts of back half.

They had tickets heavily discounted leading up to it. So that should tell you all you need to know about attendance. Never known a concert to do that before.

I have no clue, but maybe a risk of outside controls/signals potentially messing up our $$$$ jumbotron?

I suspected ticket sales were down based on the number of email solicitations I received In the 7-10 days leading up to the event.

Even so, that's not a totally horrible crowd for Tallahassee. Not exactly a population Mecca, obviously.

I suspected ticket sales were down based on the number of email solicitations I received In the 7-10 days leading up to the event.
Even so, that's not a totally horrible crowd for Tallahassee. Not exactly a population Mecca, obviously.

Agree. Also, not a dis on the lineup but there was also not some iconic group / individual headlining as typical for a venue you could get 50k seats to see. Think the turnout was pretty amazing really given the population and acts.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Agree. Also, not a dis on the lineup but there was also not some iconic group / individual headlining as typical for a venue you could get 50k seats to see. Think the turnout was pretty amazing really given the population and acts.
Not a huge country music fan but doesn't Blake Shelton currently fit the bill of major/iconic act?

Not a huge country music fan but doesn't Blake Shelton currently fit the bill of major/iconic act?
Yeah, I think 30,000 is pretty impressive for a town the size of Tallahassee. Concerts (even "iconic" acts) are usually held at the Tuck, which seats 15,000?

"Major," yes, but not "iconic," at least in my book. To me, "iconic" would be someone like Springsteen, Madonna, Eagles, Kenny Chesney (maybe), and a few others of that ilk (not that I care for all of them). Shelton has only been around since 2001, and -- although definitely a major act -- isn't in the same stratosphere with the others referenced above.

"Major," yes, but not "iconic," at least in my book. To me, "iconic" would be someone like Springsteen, Madonna, Eagles, Kenny Chesney (maybe), and a few others of that ilk (not that I care for all of them). Shelton has only been around since 2001, and -- although definitely a major act -- isn't in the same stratosphere with the others referenced above.
Granted but other than Chesney, who wouldn't be iconic either, the others mentioned are from totally different genres. This was a country music show and Blake Shelton is certainly a top 5 currently touring act.

"Announced" attendance was just over 23,000 according to a release I just saw. Also the artists requested not to have the jumbo tron on.

However they underestimated the food/beverage staffers. Tying to get a beer in between acts came with a 30 minute plus wait in line. They were selling 16oz aluminum cans and bottles but were pouring them in cups. This caused for long delays and lots of foam. The sound was great though.

Concert or Football game, they didn't underestimate. This seems to be their M.O.

a lot of folks in my section were smoking. I'm talking cigarettes and pipes.

Smokin' indeed

18160580_213953839106804_7097851691965349888_n.jpg

18161611_424608474580695_6140255095138287616_n.jpg

18160803_1662398240735791_8719963696094248960_n.jpg

18161781_1486959324667799_6043389812948336640_n.jpg

18160723_286519651806893_7195018420729937920_n.jpg

18160428_1166734580104030_2338647771852046336_n.jpg

18160510_789445151222478_7325975310774566912_n.jpg

18161251_1392046240853918_7408032323116990464_n.jpg

It was hot. I may have had a bigger crowd if it was scheduled a little earlier in the year. This past weekend had a lot of other events going on near Tallahassee that may have cut into the crowds. It was hot. We didn't bother going in until Jake Owen was about to go on stage. The way Doak is set up, most people were staring into the sun while watching the acts. At least from the people that I talked to, you couldn't find out any information on the event/parking/food/logistics. All responses that I got were that more information will be available soon and that was up until the actually event. Forty bucks parking is stupid.

My group and I had a blast and enjoyed all of the acts that we saw.

Yeah, I think 30,000 is pretty impressive for a town the size of Tallahassee. Concerts (even "iconic" acts) are usually held at the Tuck, which seats 15,000?
Website says 12,500 and that's the whole arena, usually a couple thousand empty seats behind the stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT