ADVERTISEMENT

How would we like to see *cultural issues handled on these new boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoleSince1961

Veteran Seminole Insider
Nov 28, 2020
* Adding this 2:30pm edit since so many people seem to be misinterpreting my question. I am NOT referring to cultural issue discussions unrelated to FSU sports. I am ONLY referring to cases where some cultural issue is interwoven into/part of an FSU sports topic (the Marvin Wilson boycott controversy, some aspects of the Taggart history, etc.)
-------------------------------------
From comments in other threads, it sounds like Jerry is encouraging us to weigh in so that we can help determine what kind of message boards we want (and the related rules & regs).

The cultural issues thing has obviously been a frequent source of disagreements, warnings and bans on these boards for a long time, and probably is on every sports and other message board. IF people allow it to (or push it in the wrong direction), yes, these threads can and often do become a crapshow, even when they start off civil. But could we give it a try, make the rules clear and see if we can keep it on the rails? NOT as a frequent topic obviously, but when it's appropriate to discuss in relation to a particular thread or post that touches on cultural considerations.

A few thoughts:

Jerry has told us that we are going to be getting more input on The Osceola from former players. That will be awesome. But they are actual multidimensional humans, not just athletes, and it would suck IMO if we can't benefit from all aspects of their FSU student-athlete experience, which sometimes includes understanding where they're coming from re: some cultural issues.

Cultural does not have to equal political.
In these polarized times, people are quick to pigeonhole particular cultural comments as being the exclusive realm of this or that political affiliation, but they are different animals. Why can't we discuss these real world issues, when relevant, that do impact our university and athletics WITHOUT the well-known-to-be-button-pushing terms that serve no real purpose but to belittle and inflame, like "woke", "SJW" etc?

Sports message boards aren't real conducive to nuance and complexity. I get it. We're rewarded for quick definitive takes and the more easy-to-digest black and white they are the better. This post itself is likely to be dismissed as TLDR.
But we're still all adults and should be able to occasionally deal with issues that require more nuance, right?

Also, FSU is not some pro sports team.
FSU sports is a SUBSET of this -- https://www.fsu.edu/about/mission-vision.html
The players we root for are student-athletes, and no, they shouldn't just "shut up and play". Their purpose is not to entertain us while we conveniently avoid or dismiss whatever is uncomfortable to us. Seems to me that anybody who chooses to be a fan of FSU sports understands that distinction.

If a cultural issue is significant to multiple FSU players and coaches, impacts their lives, etc., it matters to me, as a devoted fan, alum, financial supporter. I can agree or disagree with their opinions, but to pretend that FSU sports can be quarantined from cultural issues seems unrealistic.

Yes, I've let my snark come out when someone pushes my buttons, so I don't claim to be blameless, nor is anyone else. But we could at least agree to try our best to keep things civil and then let the rules get more stringent if we aren't successful enough at demonstrating how adult we can be.

Do others agree or disagree or have some other take?
Thanks for slogging through that.
Go Noles!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News