ADVERTISEMENT

I hope it happens here soon.

Maybe for around town, but not for long distance. Still need a gas powered vehicle for road trips unless you plan to stop every 4-5 hours to recharge.

Maybe for around town, but not for long distance. Still need a gas powered vehicle for road trips unless you plan to stop every 4-5 hours to recharge.
Soon enough, you will partially recharge with attached panels and hit a quick recharge while hitting the head. Similar to what you do now on a long trip. What percent of your driving is not covered by a 250 mile range? Be honest, now...

Reactions: Hayduke GW
Until these charging stations are about 1/5 as common as a gas station and it only takes a minute to charge, count me out.

My employer constantly promotes electric vehicles but doesn't haver a single charging station at any facility.

Until these charging stations are about 1/5 as common as a gas station and it only takes a minute to charge, count me out.

My employer constantly promotes electric vehicles but doesn't haver a single charging station at any facility.
It takes you a minute to refuel?

How long does it take you to pump 12 gallons of gas? 1-2 minutes is all it takes me. Pay at pump and off I go..

How long does it take you to pump 12 gallons of gas? 1-2 minutes is all it takes me. Pay at pump and off I go..
OK, sure. I averaged 50,000 miles a year for the greater part of a decade. 700 miles daily was not unusual. Anybody who says they routinely spend one minute per refueling stop has a mason jar or bucket with them for urination. Otherwise, you are close to home and the 250-300 mile range soon available does not come into play.
https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-cars-that-will-be-available-by-2025-2018-1
Here is an expensive list of what is in the queue. More affordable offerings are on the way soon.

Last edited:
It takes you a minute to refuel?

OK, sure. I averaged 50,000 miles a year for the greater part of a decade. 700 miles daily was not unusual. Anybody who says they routinely spend one minute per refueling stop has a mason jar or bucket with them for urination. Otherwise, you are close to home and the 250-300 mile range soon available does not come into play.
https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-cars-that-will-be-available-by-2025-2018-1
Here is an expensive list of what is in the queue. More affordable offerings are on the way soon.

So you need to go inside the gas station every time you stop? Wow...

So you need to go inside the gas station every time you stop? Wow...
You are pretending that every fuel stop only takes a minute or two. Not realistic. Tell the truth about the range you drive and the time you stop at a fueling station or some other outlet for food and urination.
If you do all of your stops at home or work, the range described is more than adequate.
I have made some screaming runs from WNC to Manhattan averaging just shy of 70 miles per hour over the course of 11 hours. Try that and see how often you will be willing to do it.
Fuel, grab a fast food meal and piss basically at a run. It can be done, but you don’t do that routinely and you know it. Neither does the average car owner/operator.

You have your circumstances and I have mine. I drive about 70 miles rt every day. 1 tank of gas last me 5-6 days. I don't need to stop at a gas station every day. I'm not sure why you are having a hard time grasping that? Sure, someone that drives 11 hrs. a day is going to stop, stretch, eat and all that.

Reactions: NebNoles
You have your circumstances and I have mine. I drive about 70 miles rt every day. 1 tank of gas last me 5-6 days. I don't need to stop at a gas station every day. I'm not sure why you are having a hard time grasping that? Sure, someone that drives 11 hrs. a day is going to stop, stretch, eat and all that.
And I don’t know why you think an electric car wouldn’t work for you. You wouldn’t have to stop at all, since it could easily recharge at home nightly. You are the one arguing with your boss....

Reactions: csklad
What I found, depending on voltage and battery size, it takes at least an hour to fully charge. Am I going to sit there for an hour to "top it off" when on a trip? Nope. According to UC-Davis, some cars with a fast-charge will take 20 minutes for 80% charge. Like I said, around town....maybe. But not for other driving.

Reactions: goldmom
There are still some technological hurdles to clear before electric vehicles become practical and cost feasible, but they'll eventually get there.

Consider this: "Mobile phones" in the late 80s/early 90s were these huge bricks to be lugged around that only the wealthy could afford (and primarily as a status symbol). Now they're ubiquitous - even homeless have them.

There are still some technological hurdles to clear before electric vehicles become practical and cost feasible, but they'll eventually get there.

Consider this: "Mobile phones" in the late 80s/early 90s were these huge bricks to be lugged around that only the wealthy could afford (and primarily as a status symbol). Now they're ubiquitous - even homeless have them.

I believe "power lines" will be looked upon two generations from now as an extremely old technology and one that junks up our current landscape. I assume you'll buy recharging pods (or have them delivered every few weeks by an autonomous vehicle).

I feel this speech may become appropriate for fossil fuel vehicles in about 5-6 years.

I don't think Electric vehicles are feasible yet, but I hope in 10 years the technology will have improved and the costs come down to make them as affordable as gas.

Reactions: nynole1
I don't think Electric vehicles are feasible yet, but I hope in 10 years the technology will have improved and the costs come down to make them as affordable as gas.
As affordable as gas and a better solution for the environment, otherwise why bother.

As affordable as gas and a better solution for the environment, otherwise why bother.

Here is an example from an earlier link. Granted this car does not fit all needs, but it is an example of relatively similar cost per car, decent range, and the newer power plants are cleaner than ever. The cost conversion electric/gas is not real clear cut, but electrics are essentially even or better per mile now. This is not a technology that needs 10 more years to mature.

Volkswagen has said the I.D. will have 168 horsepower and a range between 249 and 373 miles.
The ID will be in the same price range as a Golf with similar specs and features. The Golf currently starts at a little over $20,000.
Volkswagen has said the I.D. will have 168 horsepower and a range between 249 and 373 miles.

Here is an example from an earlier link. Granted this car does not fit all needs, but it is an example of relatively similar cost per car, decent range, and the newer power plants are cleaner than ever. The cost conversion electric/gas is not real clear cut, but electrics are essentially even or better per mile now. This is not a technology that needs 10 more years to mature.

The ID will be in the same price range as a Golf with similar specs and features. The Golf currently starts at a little over $20,000.
Volkswagen is notorious for it's accurate mpg ratings ;)

Volkswagen is notorious for it's accurate mpg ratings ;)
emission ratings!

they're actually pretty good fuel efficiency wise. I had a TDI that was part of the buy back that got exceptional fuel economy. Other gas VW's I've rented over the years have been fuel efficient in my experience.

that TDI turned out to be the best car deal I ever had!

Reactions: nynole1
I wish they made an affordable one I could get my 6'5" 300lb body in. I have tried all of them and can't see driving 100+ mile daily in any of the current "affordable" offerings. I have tried the Toyota SUV and the Chevy SUVs hybrids but my wife's Ram 1500 will do almost as good on gas and cost a whole lot less.

Don't have much to add to this thread but you should all watch the documentary "Who killed the electric car."

One employer has them in the parking garages. The spaces are usually empty. But for me they are still not cost effective or practical.

I am all about doing anything to help the environment but I am not in favor of breaking the bank to buy technology that does not fit my needs. I really can't understand why natural gas burning vehicles and the pumping stations are not be developed to at the same time we are working to increase the electric/hybrid vehicles. It think there are many options for fuel that could have a major positive impact our environment. Would love a cheap alternative to driving my Ram 2500 daily. Would like to leave it parked and just use it when I need to haul the boat or other heavy loads.

I wish they made an affordable one I could get my 6'5" 300lb body in. I have tried all of them and can't see driving 100+ mile daily in any of the current "affordable" offerings. I have tried the Toyota SUV and the Chevy SUVs hybrids but my wife's Ram 1500 will do almost as good on gas and cost a whole lot less.

Have you tried the Hyundai Sonata hybrid? The Sonata is classified by rental companies as a large car and that’s what I’m driving at the moment. When we were buying new cars we definitely knew we wanted a hybrid and test drove all of the cars. Going into it we thought we were going to get one of the Lexus hybrids but when we were driving them they were far more cramped on the interior and honestly didn’t feel much more if at all luxurious compared to the far more spacious Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited Edition. So that’s what we ended up getting and we couldn’t be happier. Really nice leather interior with the best built in entertainment center and backup cameras of the hybrids and far more spacious. It gets 39/44 which is more than the best Lexus hybrid which gets 39/40 but less than the best Toyota Prius which is 51/53 now but incredibly cramped and cheap feeling.

Hyundai Sonata doesn't sound like a desirable car until you drive one. Ever since I did it's practically the only rental car I'll pick. Huge fan.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Have you tried the Hyundai Sonata hybrid? The Sonata is classified by rental companies as a large car and that’s what I’m driving at the moment. When we were buying new cars we definitely knew we wanted a hybrid and test drove all of the cars. Going into it we thought we were going to get one of the Lexus hybrids but when we were driving them they were far more cramped on the interior and honestly didn’t feel much more if at all luxurious compared to the far more spacious Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited Edition. So that’s what we ended up getting and we couldn’t be happier. Really nice leather interior with the best built in entertainment center and backup cameras of the hybrids and far more spacious. It gets 39/44 which is more than the best Lexus hybrid which gets 39/40 but less than the best Toyota Prius which is 51/53 now but incredibly cramped and cheap feeling.

My issue is not the only room when I get in as much as it is getting in and out of the very small and short doors on many of todays cars and mid size SUVS. Work recently rented me a Sonata for a long trip and I found that to be the case with it. Additionally some of the newer style vehicles have such huges consoles I have no room to move my legs at all.

My daughter has the Ford Fusion Hybrid. It's comparable in size to the Sonata. It is really comfortable and gets 40+ mpg.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT