ADVERTISEMENT

If you're interested in penalties...

P4KNole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2020
like I am, you might find this...interesting? lol

This is not to absolve FSU of our penalty "issues", but rather to look and maybe put in context. I went to the NCAA stats site to see where we ranked in the number of penalties per game.
Obviously, I went to the last page (the worst 30 or so), since I had a feeling we'd be there and sure enough, there we were. However, I quickly noticed that there were a ton of ACC schools on that last page! In fact, 7 of the bottom 30 were ACC schools!

That got my attention and so it took me about 15 minutes to compare the conferences. We all pretty much feel the same way about ACC officiating (they suck) and this isn't going to make you feel better about that, nor will it make you feel better about FSU's propensity to committing penalties, or at least getting called for them. However, like me, you may find this interesting.

In power 5 football, the teams average 6.25 penalties per game, or 12-13 total penalties each game. The Big12 is the least penalized conference with 5.41 penalties per team per game or 11 total penalties each game. I'm sure you can guess the most penalized conference! Yes of course, our beloved ACC at 7 penalties per team or 14 per game. That may not seem like a lot, but it's about a 30% increase! That's crazy!!!
"
Whenever all the final realignment of the top tier of college football does finally shake out, I hope they look to "nationalize" the officiating so it's much more consistent, because it's kind of crazy right now. Again, if you're interested, the conferences shake out like this: Big12 5.41 per team, Big10 5.97 per team, Pac12 6.08 per team, SEC 6.5 per team, and the ACC 7 per team.

Alabama and Tennessee are amongst the WORST (like bottom 5) of the Power 5 schools, while UGa, TCU, and Michigan are amongst the best. Ohio State is in the middle.

Oh well, I had a few minutes to spare. Not sure it means anything. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News