ADVERTISEMENT

Interviews and updates from Tuesday morning practice (Norvell, Johnson, players)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
What's up, folks?
About to get started with another post-practice media availability session here at Warchant.com. So get ready!
We'll have Norvell to start and then we'll see who we get after. Hope you're doing well. This is scheduled to start right around 11:30 a.m.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Today I was really pleased with the response of our guys. ... Thought we had a much better mindset. ... Good times special teams wise. ... They physicality definitely showed up, I thought our guys worked through the rigors of practice. I thought it was a good day. I was really pleased with the continued development of James Blackman. He's putting together a really nice camp. ... The other quarterbacks are continuing to come along, but I thought today was one of his better days" as far as getting to his second and third progressions. ... Also brought up the LBs, said they have some "guys that can really impact the football team." .... "Today was definitely a step in the right direction."

"A turnover problem is usually a response problem. ... I've watched a lot of film on James. It's easy to point fingers at the quarterback position ... but James has been through a lot. There have been times where he's played well, and times he hasn't played well."
Says he's taking the checkdown more, knowing to throw the ball away is the best play. ... "I like what I'm seeing from him. I like the competition I'm seeing, too."

More on Blackman: "James is a great young man. I really like his personality. He's driven. He wants to do well. He embraces the coaching. ... There's no secret here if you come to play quarterback here you're going to get coached. We're going to make it hard on you. ... Not letting a situation or mistake carry onto three, four plays down the road. You've always got to go play the next play. ... I think James understands what we're asking for there. He's definitely excited about the offense and what we're asking him to do." Says other guys are doing well too, there's good competition in the room, but Blackman "is investing the way he needs to invest."

On offensive staff: "Any time you have great leaders of men, it helps. And that's what we have. ... I think the key to being a good coach in general is being adaptive. Being able to adapt to the players you have to put them in position to be successful. ... It's our job is to take the best of what our guys can do collectively as a group, the 11 guys we put out there we have to put in the best position. ... The majority of coaches on the offensive side I've coached with at some point ... it's definitely been a joy coming to work with them these last eight months."

On WR performance: "It's been fun watching those guys compete. ... The great receivers i've been around is guys that play without the ball in their hands." Talks about route-running, blocking ability ... "I'm excited about what I'm seeing. Jordan Young has done some really nice things. With Warren coming back out ... he had a couple of nice plays." Says he made a few mistakes, too, that need to be cleaned up.

"James wants to help the younger guys. ... He's been in some challenging, difficult situations throughout his playing career. .. Asante Samuel, we were having a 1 on 1 drill, he was going up against Williamson, he was covering the freshman, had a great break on the route, broke up the pass, and immediately after they were done ... he was giving tips to Williamson on the route and what he did wrong." Norvell said that's what he wants to see from the team. "That's what pissed me off yesterday, I didn't see the guys responding tough enough ... to get better." Says he wants the players mad at him because they want to be coached harder.

On Samuel: "An absolute competitor. He's a joy to coach. ... I was remember one day (During tour of duty) that we had to jump on him pretty good, coaching body language, coaching response ... and he just looked at me ... and the response, he understood what we were trying to do. The embrace of what we're trying to do, the embrace of holding to a high standard. ... That young man is a great competitor, he pushes to be the best."

"Average players allow themselves to (relax). And I don't want to be around average players. ... Everybody in the game of football gets sore, gets tired, everybody at some point is going to have a bad day.... But you don't get to turn that switch on or off, you don't just wait until the lights come on on game day. .... Mistakes are going to happen. .. Nobody plays this game perfect. ... It's about the proper response to put yourself in the best position to win the game. ... The messaging probably gets tired at times, but today is all we have. .. That's the mindset I want from this team, it's the mindset I want from my coaches and it's the mindset I want from myself."

That's a wrap for Norvell.
It looks like RB coach David Johnson will be up next.

On Corey Wren: "He's extremely fast. You could see it from Day 1. This kid is really professional, takes everything serious, wants to be the best at what he's doing." Says they want to put him in different positions to use the speed.

On Corbin: "Been really good ... I like the way he runs behind his pads. ... We couldn't wait to get him full contact." Says he's a leader in the room and has been dominant at times.

On three newcomers: "They've been doing a really good job. they understand the system we have. These guys are really small. ... Douglas is a really good player. He's really young, but is understanding the things we are putting into the offense." Said Webb is hard to cover coming out of the backfield.
"The one thing about the running backs in our system is you have to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield, protect the quarterback ... and we're going to have to use them all. ... I've been able to coach them extremely hard and push them and they've been responding really well to the coaching."

On communication between coaches: "I think it's what Coach Norvell demands. The kids understand that and the coaches understand that. ... I think Coach Dillingham did a really good job preparing everybody. ... We all buy in, and I think the kids did a really good job. Being in this offense with these guys for two years, it was the best I ever saw in a scrimmage. We just have to build on it."

"The standard is the standard. We knew after that practice we didn't live up to it. The one thing about Coach Norvell is he's not going to lower his standard.... Every day has to be consistent and we want to remain consistent."

"I think the biggest thing with recruiting ... you have to listen to the kids. A lot of these kids want to talk, and they're going through a lot right now. So, you try to listen to their stories." Says they've been in constant contact with kids and letting them know that they plan on getting them to campus at some point, relationships are still developing.

"Coach Atkins is one of the sharpest coaches I've ever been around. One of the best recruiters I've ever been around." Also said Coach Dugans is great because he knows the history of the program. Said it's a blessing to have both of those guys around.

And that's a wrap for Johnson.
We'll see who the first player is, will probably be one of the freshman backs.
Looks like Ja'Khi Douglas is up next.

On position preference: "When I came here, they were looking at me being a receiver." Says he's still playing a bit of receiver, too, but also playing RB. ... Also, I can barely hear him at all. So I'm going to try my best.

"Being split out as receiver, that's my first choice. Running routes, catching balls, making guys miss, and in the backfield I can spit out and run routes, too. That's what I like about this offense" --- that he can do both.

Trying to make an impression: "Every play I want to make it the best play ... Show maximum effort. ... I have to show 100 percent and know what I have to do." Invest in a microphone, FSU!!!!!!

On Blackman: "James, I see him as like a big brother. He helps me a lot. ... Telling me how to take my steps, how to be patient" ... and then he said some other stuff.

On how Zoom meetings helped: "During the Zoom meetings, that was the key thing we working on - getting the signals down. ... If we had any questions we just asked."

And that's a wrap for Douglas.
Let's hope next player talks a little louder. Sorry, folks! I did my best.
Still waiting to see who the next player is.
Looks like freshman DB Demorie Tate is up next.

Biggest adjustment: "Just getting used to the style of practice. Just the workload that comes with it. Adapting to new things, being able to take in new things quickly. I'd say that's the biggest adjustment."

On Coach Woodson and veterans: "It's great working with Coach Wood. Great coach. Great human. I've got a great relationship with him. Meiko has been a great leader to me. And Jaiden. Everybody is just trying to step up and be a leader."

On new staff: "They told me to trust them, and they were going to trust me. So, it made me feel secure. So ever since then I trusted them."

"If you want to sit back you can, but I'm trying to get as much work as I can. And be as competitive as they are for the most part."

"I think it's real smart the way he puts together his schemes." Said he plays both sides of the field at cornerback. "So I like what he's doing, I like what he's brought."

And that's a wrap for Tate. Short and sweet!
D.J. Lundy will be the last player for today. He's coming up soon.

On working with Marve: "It's been a good feeling. It's a lot of work, it's been a learning process. It's been real intense, but everything is going well."

On lining up at FB some: "It's been a process, but it really hasn't been too much. Just learning stuff, more like being a lead blocker and stuff like that."

On being a wrestler in HS: "It teaches you leverage, it helps you with your hands. It helps me get off blocks, ... it's also just a mindset, mentally, ready to compete."

On Marve again: "he's just been teaching us our scheme, and allowing me to play fast, and making sure we understand everything."

On veteran leaders: "Emmett and Leonard have just been teaching me a lot. Every question I've had has been answered and they've been really helpful through this process."

Takeaway from scrimmage: "Just the speed of the game. It's a lot faster than high school. Just getting lined up and getting ready for the football."

On wrestling: "That happened a lot of times, a lot of people didn't want to wrestle me."

"I'm very confident in my wrestling ability ..." ... so he says he could wrestle anyone on the team and be able to win.

He got another question about wrestling ...and he finished with saying it helped because "he just pushes himself to be the best he can be."

And that's a wrap. Man, these true freshmen make my job a whole lot easier. Not a real talkative group! Easier to quote! So that's a wrap for today. Hope you guys have had a great morning so far and I hope that you have a wonderful afternoon. Because, as we all know, life is what you make of it. You can be elite. You can be happy. You can be in love. It's all on you to make these things happen. Don't sit idly by and let life just pass you by. Go be somebody! Go make dreams come true.
And, as always, make sure you keep it pinned right here at warchant.com for all your Florida State content needs. Take care everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News