ADVERTISEMENT

Is FSU knocking down Smith and Kellum Halls?

Kellum Hall in 88-89 room 1032. Loved that nasty, old place! Would love to know when it is going down.

None of the dorms at FSU were A/C'd back in the day except for Salley Hall which was almost new when I was a freshman. But back then most Floridians were used to getting by with fans. I lived on the top floor of Jennie Murphree and we had open windows with our own fans and radiators for heat in winter. First time they came on in the fall the clanging of the radiators was incredible.

By the time I was at FSU in 94, only Smith, Kellum and whatever the all dude dorm was called were left without AC. The community room on the first floor DID have AC so it was always packed with those of us living there. It created an actual sense of community and the only people I stayed in touch with after FSU were not Chiefs, Flambeau or rugby or any other thing I was in, but the friends I made my first year in Smith. Everyone else was quickly forgotten.

By the time I was at FSU in 94, only Smith, Kellum and whatever the all dude dorm was called were left without AC. The community room on the first floor DID have AC so it was always packed with those of us living there. It created an actual sense of community and the only people I stayed in touch with after FSU were not Chiefs, Flambeau or rugby or any other thing I was in, but the friends I made my first year in Smith. Everyone else was quickly forgotten.

Kellum had A/C in 1980. I lived one year on the 2nd floor and one year on the 4th. Had a good time. Individually controlled A/C. So unless they took it out, you're mistaken.

Kellum had A/C in 1980. I lived one year on the 2nd floor and one year on the 4th. Had a good time. Individually controlled A/C. So unless they took it out, you're mistaken.

Could be, I lived in Smith. But I thought Kellumites were being tortured as well. If not, i have lost respect for you. The heat is what built character.

:p

Hubby lived in Kellum in 94-95 and he had AC, his friend in Smith did not.

Anyone remember the place across Tennessee street from Kellum in the early '80's called "Pugs"?
(Not the Pub, but next to it)

A tiny building, maybe it was an old gas station? You could get beer in a gallon milk jug.

Pugs...drive thru...beer on tap in milk jugs...and cups to go...so wrong on so many levels...we kept them in business though in the early 80s...

Noooooooooo!

I considered it a right of passage to be forced to spend a year in an unconditioned Smith Hell. Those of you who did not submit to this torture are not proper Seminoles in my book.
100% agree. Spent my first year in kellum hall and I still have the battle scars 16 years later

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Anyone remember the place across Tennessee street from Kellum in the early '80's called "Pugs"?

A tiny building, maybe it was an old gas station? You could get beer in a gallon milk jug.

Absolutely. I lived in Kellum and then McCollum so Pug's was convenient. Use to get some jugs and play cards before hitting the end of wind-up wind-down at the Pub

Wasn't Pugs the place that was in the wedge where Tennessee St and that other street met?

I can't fathom being in Tally in September with no A/C. I was Kellum 2002-2003. Hard to believe I lived like that for a year, they had to take all the ceiling tiles out in our hallway bc they were so moldy.

Up through the 1960's there were tenet farmers in Leon County living in one or two room cabins, no electricity or plumbing, no glass or screening over the windows, cooking out of doors.

I "lived" in Smith Hall for 1 semester in 2002 (Spring). It was awful. I walk in first time and my roommate has bricks of weed on the dresser. He'd drive and pick them up in Georgia somewhere. He was never there and people would come by all day trying to buy weed for 10 a dime bag. Our room was broken into while on spring break bc of it.

Banged a hot RA there though

My good buds from high school and this dude from NJ were roomies at Salley Hall so I just unofficially moved in there. They got like 2 roommates reassigned so I could stay there.

Wasn't Pugs the place that was in the wedge where Tennessee St and that other street met?
That was The Pubb....Puggs was right next to it...towards Burger King

They are not competing with UCF. UCF is still primarily made up of students from Orlando and students who could not get into UF and FSU. It's campus is butt ugly too. Scrub pine trees and palmettos and no shade. It's still primarily a commuter school although that has changed a lot lately.

They are competing with FSU and UF. They are doing it with new facilities and have been working on it for a decade. College park opened in 2007 I think. It was the big draw for my cousin that turned down FSU and UF (and she always wanted to go to UF)

UCF, FGCU, and UNF accept everyone. You can take all mainstream classes (ie no ap/honors, etc) and have a 2.9 GPA and you're in.
Son's good buddy was a marginal student/just under 3.0 and he got in to all 3. He decided to go to FGCU. He was so unhappy at FGCU despite the cool dorms and all the cool wetlands and lakes on campus that they're selling that after 1 semester that he withdrew and now attends Santa Fe Community College here in Gville.

One of my nieces just graduated from High school with her AA and did not get into UCF. The other got into UF and UCF but not FSU. Things have changed.

Smith Hall Alumni '93-'94 - So hot and I lived right across from the RA. Only good thing was that I was on the first floor right by the door so it was easy to get out for all the fire drills. :mad:

During exam week, it was buy a gallon and get a half free. Pug said he played football in the '60's. Good guy.

Smith Hall Alumni '93-'94 - So hot and I lived right across from the RA. Only good thing was that I was on the first floor right by the door so it was easy to get out for all the fire drills. :mad:

That's an improvement over me. I lived on the 4th floor and my then girlfriend lived on the 8th, 9th, 10th whatever the top half floor was. So as you know the elevators didn't even go to my floor so I'd just have to slog up and down (which when sober is disgusting from all the urine, condoms, vomit and whatnot but a real bear when not) if I was staying at my place. And if I was shacking up which I did most nights then I have to stumble down the entire flights of stairs.

i was on the 4th floor of smith in fall 93. hot but fun. moved to broward in the spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT