ADVERTISEMENT

Is there anyone more relevant than Chance today?

kc78

Seminole Insider
Nov 25, 2002
He debuted a new song on Colbert last night and it was real.

I prefer the renowned harpist "Community Chest"...UNreal!

So I take it you guys are not a fan of Chance.
I'm aware of him. I guess I don't share your affinity, but he's alright at times. After watching this particular video though, I'm perplexed by your thread. This doesn't appear to remotely be his best work.

His music speaks to me I guess in ways that it may not others. It's not his best work musically (He just wrote the song a day before performing). But this line hit me strong for some reason.

i'm just gonna keep rappin'
& y'all just keep clappin'
& keep actin' like Flint got clean water
& y'all don't got teen daughters
& black friends & gay cousins
y'all just don't say nothin'
know that the day comin'
knees bowed, tongues confessin'
the last ones gettin' first dibs on blessings
Now these the first world problems you *$*D make up
Keep on playing we gone shake this shit up
Keep on tellin' us we makin' it up
The American Dream may you never wake up

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
He's more along the lines of spoken word, and I def need to be in a mood for that. He's thought-provoking is probably the best way to describe his style.

His interview w Colbert was also fantastic.

He's not what people are use to, which might be why this thread is a series of "huh?" type remarks, but I'd encourage folks to give him a listen when you're in the mood for his type of vibe.

As thread title says, he's relevant

I do also like Cardi B tho.

His interview w Colbert was also fantastic.

He's not what people are use to, which might be why this thread is a series of "huh?" type remarks, but I'd encourage folks to give him a listen when you're in the mood for his type of vibe.

As thread title says, he's relevant

I do also like Cardi B tho.
Yes, I mean relevant in that what he is discussing hits hard, but with an honest truth that's hard to get away from. There's another rapper I love named Propaganda who does the same thing and who has given me more truth about both society and my views on God than I've ever had before.

I appreciate what his music speaks to far more than I appreciate what his music sounds like which is also fantastic. To me, his message is extremely relevant and there are not enough artists speaking out any more. I grew up in the 90's when artists weren't afraid to speak about society's ills and take them head on. They were often naive and not always well thought out, but they attacked it. I'd like to see that occurring more often again.

Cool guitar melody and story telling; but his delivery imo was weak. I'm sure that's the way it's designed and meant to sound, but I personally wasn't a fan based on the Colbert performance.

Maybe it will grow on me with time.

Cool guitar melody and story telling; but his delivery imo was weak. I'm sure that's the way it's designed and meant to sound, but I personally wasn't a fan based on the Colbert performance.

He's intentionally rough. He believes in being raw and real and if he makes his delivery perfect then it feels fake to him. He messed up delivery a few times. He'd just written the song a day or so before hand and just said he had to get it out.

That's Chance. He goes against the mold. He gives his music away for free, he gives millions to Chicago schools, he refuses to sign a record contract. He's different, he's real. I love him for it.

Reactions: DanC78
Yes, I mean relevant in that what he is discussing hits hard, but with an honest truth that's hard to get away from. There's another rapper I love named Propaganda who does the same thing and who has given me more truth about both society and my views on God than I've ever had before.

I appreciate what his music speaks to far more than I appreciate what his music sounds like which is also fantastic. To me, his message is extremely relevant and there are not enough artists speaking out any more. I grew up in the 90's when artists weren't afraid to speak about society's ills and take them head on. They were often naive and not always well thought out, but they attacked it. I'd like to see that occurring more often again.

I would agree that he is probably the most relevant today. There are others like The Roots, Common and Kendrick Lamar. Certainly not as many still putting out stuff discussing social and political issues like there used to be. Chance and Kendrick certainly get the most attention. Propaganda sounds familiar, but I dont know if I've heard any of his stuff. I always liked listening to Mos Def.

For a second, I thought he was playing "More than words".

Reactions: DanC78
I would agree that he is probably the most relevant today. There are others like The Roots, Common and Kendrick Lamar. Certainly not as many still putting out stuff discussing social and political issues like there used to be. Chance and Kendrick certainly get the most attention. Propaganda sounds familiar, but I dont know if I've heard any of his stuff. I always liked listening to Mos Def.
Propaganda is technically a "Christian" rapper, but he focuses far more on social issues. Here's a few examples. He's another artist who gives away all of his music for free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT