ADVERTISEMENT

It's a Jeep thing, and I don't understand

seminoledq

Seminole Insider
Aug 1, 2005
Louisville, CO
Why do all Jeep drivers wave to one another? My wife has had one for about 5 years now and I still don't understand why Jeep owners feel a connection to one another. Do any other car brands have this type of loyalty to each other? Is there a signal all you Vette drives throw to each other? I may start one for me and my fellow Saturn Ion drivers.

Do any other car brands have this type of loyalty to each other? Is there a signal all you Vette drives throw to each other?

Yes, I see waves from Corvette owners frequently. Especially if they're older gents.
I always thought it was a, "hey, you gotta cool toy too!" kind of thing.

You answered your own question in the thread title...you just don't understand.

My Jeep Inventory (through the years)

- 1951 Willys M38 (still own)
- 1967 CJ5
- 1974 CJ5
- 1993 Wrangler (YJ)
- 1998 Cherokee
- 1998 Grand Cherokee
* Going to pull the trigger on a Rubicon in the next few years.

Got the most waves in the 51 & the 93 (the YJ was pretty "tricked out")

Love the biker gang member/dentist down low "high five".

This tricked out
g1ouLb.jpg

You answered your own question in the thread title...you just don't understand.

My Jeep Inventory (through the years)

- 1951 Willys M38 (still own)
- 1967 CJ5
- 1974 CJ5
- 1993 Wrangler (YJ)
- 1998 Cherokee
- 1998 Grand Cherokee
* Going to pull the trigger on a Rubicon in the next few years.

Got the most waves in the 51 & the 93 (the YJ was pretty "tricked out")
Never seen a wave from a Cherokee. I think it is specific to Wanglers and the older CJs. Cherokees are discriminated against.

Reactions: DanC78
I have a Jeep Wrangler now and used to have an 84 CJ7... the wave happens quite often.

I like to look at other jeeps to see what up upgrades they have added etc. During that process it may look like I'm staring down the driver....so I wave to keep from looking too weird or stalk. Kind of like checking out someone's lawn when driving by and then seeing the owner standing in the yard watching you check their yard out....at that point you would typically give a little wave or nod to them to keep from thinking you're a weirdo.

Yeah...I don't get having a noisy, primary driver that you can't lock and never sees a bit of off road. I've known two people that flipped their wrangler on the street and suffered injuries.

Yeah...I don't get having a noisy, primary driver that you can't lock and never sees a bit of off road. I've known two people that flipped their wrangler on the street and suffered injuries.

They're super safe being they have a roll bar.

Oddly enough though, my 2012 Wrangler has a LOT of blind spots. My CJ was the exact opposite, felt as open as a motorcycle.

The wave is just a recognition of someone who, like you, is a bit cooler than everyone else....and puts up with bad gas mileage and a noisy ride in order to enjoy that specific vibe you can only get from driving a jeep. As for me, sold mine and now drive a little sedan. Took me a few weeks to stop waving to other jeeps.

, been riding motorcycles for about 45 years and it's always been a nonchalant wave whether it's from above the shoulder or down low, just one of those things. I've seen jeeps do it to other jeeps Corvettes other Corvettes I guess it's just a recognition of hey we enjoy our rides

90 YJ and 14 Rubicon owner here and my wife laughs at the jeep wave all the time. She has been driving the new jeep a lot this summer and is getting the hang of it. Life is too short to drive boring vehicles, mine had 100 miles on it and I already had it on jack stands tinkering with a lift. Never ending projects

I drove a Jeep Wrangler through high school and got the wave quite often. Wrangler owners for the most part were a fairly friendly bunch, went to a Jeep Jamboree once and had a good time.

Don't get me wrong...I would love one for driving on the beach, but it would need to be my 2nd car.

That's what their best for here
B5WDop.jpg

Q6Fm4e.jpg

Some people, like Michelle McGann, use theirs for getting to and from golf outings
GJJX6A.jpg

Every time I drive my Corvette, other Vette owners wave to me, and others in nicely kept classic cars.

Bought a 2015 wrangler earlier this year & love driving it. But I might not if I had long highway drives daily, it is definitely loud on the interstate. I also agree with the comment about the blind spots, they are bad unless the roof is down.

I think this is more common than we think. I get waves from other Enclaves when they pass me in mine, and I'm always like, "WTF?" Usually, it's just a little wag of the finger, but I wonder if I'm being rude not waggling mine back. Seems a little weird to me.

07 4 door unlimited. Usually wave when I have top and doors off.

Do a couple of jeep groups so sometimes it's just waving at jeeps I see in club or at meet ups.

RTM, the blue number in your thread is a Toyota FJ40, not a jeep. That model is a real collectible now.

It better be an FJ40. She paid a premium for it before paying more to rehab it. It's not a Jeep, but it is a "Jeep". People definitely do the wave thing when it goes by.

ZB2TCI.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the question: Do Jeep owners driving on Bayshore wave at each other in passing?

It better be an FJ40. She paid a premium for it before paying more to rehab it. It's not a Jeep, but it is a "Jeep". People definitely do the wave thing when it goes by.

ZB2TCI.jpg

Ah. I was wondering if the Jeep snob thing kicked in when Jeep drivers see it. I was looking to buy a Jeep a couple of years ago. Based on costs, space, noise, recalls, drivability, etc., I went with the Toyota FJ, which is one of the most 'in demand' used vehicles on the road right now. I don't get waves from Jeep drivers, but I do get looks from other FJ drivers.

I'm in the "club" for three vehicles that wave - Jeeps, Vettes, Harleys.

In the Harley world, Harley riders give a low five to other Harley riders, but not to ricers.

.... Is there a signal all you Vette drives throw to each other? .....

Yes, there is a Corvette Wave and I have been waving to other Vette's since I got my first at 15.

It started from a single enthusiastic owner who would flag down other Corvette drivers and talk to them. That morphed into waving over the years.

I will say it makes slightly more sense on the Corvette side. The Millionth Vette rolled off the line in 1992, 39 years after the first one was built. For comparisons sake the millionth mustang rolled out after only 36 months and they have built a freakin' ton of jeeps. It's just a bit harder to drive a Corvette and actually pass one. I think of the last 50 times I have been in my 'vette I have passed one maybe 2 or 3 times.

So if a vette driver waved at a jeep driver, and a guy on a Harley watched, would that be like crossing the streams? Pandemonium.

Hey Alaska, on number 7. Most waves were for the ancient "woody" Grand Cherokee and the 95 Wrangler. No one waves at the 15 Cherokee....don't care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT