ADVERTISEMENT

It's official -- I'm drinking the Kool-aid for 2022

dwk04d

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2005
I get excited every year for FSU football, but this year is probably the most excited I've been since 2017. While that year I thought we'd be in the playoff hunt, this year I have my sights set on 9-3. Here's my reasoning:

1) Special teams will not repeat last year's debacle. I think average special teams play last year would have improved our record by 2 games to 7-5. With the emphasis Mike Norvell continually places on this unit, and the obviousness of the need to improve it, I think 2022 will see far fewer mistakes with this unit.

2) The passing game will take a step forward in 2022, making our offense a threat to all the teams we play next year. This year is a now-or-never year for a few players in this unit, which I think will help motivation during spring ball, summer workouts, and fall camp. It's also clear that this unit has received a nice injection of talent and skill through the transfer portal. Combine that with Jordan Travis having enough experience under his belt to be ready to take that step forward as a passer, and I think our passing game will turn some heads next year. Not national championship good, but definitely good enough to get us to 9 wins.

3) The run game will not suffer a drop off despite the loss of Corbin. This unit is stacked with talent, and our o-line has loads of experience (and continues to progress). Add to that, FSU has probably one of the most athletic, dynamic QBs in the country. Jordan Travis is slippery and is easily one of the fastest guys on the field at any given time. I expect our ground game will pick up right where it left off last year.

4) The defensive line will be a strength for the defense, and for the team overall. Yes, I say that despite the loss of two of the most productive linemen in our recent history. Those two guys (Johnson/Thomas) set the bar high, and our current roster will work all offseason to clear it.

5) Behind the line, the defense has the pieces to be competitive with anyone. This is not an elite defense, but it doesn't have to be for a 9-3 year. Once again, there are a number of players in a now-or-never year, and there's a lot of experience out there. Hard, tough experience --- that matters.

Overall, I look at this team and I don't see a glaring weakness anywhere for the first time in a long time. We went 5-7 last season, but between awful special teams play, the flu, and disappointing play by Mackenzie, this team caught some bad breaks. I think we were better than 5-7 and I think this year's squad will demonstrate that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News