ADVERTISEMENT

It's Opening Day!

Sitting here thinking about going tomorrow night but just spent a lot of money last weekend on daughters soccer tournament and
Markakis with a walk off 3 run dinger. Can't remember the last time the Braves won on Opening Day.
Raucous and rowdy crowd today.

Awesome game. And to honor Bobby Cox, Sniker gets thrown out lol.

Close. The Ballpark in Arlington (now Globe Life Park in Arlington) opened in 1994. Still amazing, but also still an oven anywhere from June 1 to October 1. To retrofit a retractable roof would have been about $300m less than just building a brand new ballpark. Hence, Globe Life Field will open in 2020
Wifey brought me home a tee shirt the year the Ballpark opened when she and daughter went to a wedding. Hell, my tee shirt has lasted as long as a stadium. BTW, the tee shirt was made in America...

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I was listening to the Braves game on the radio when I was traveling to my job sites this afternoon. Joe and Don hit everyone with a bit of trivia. This Sunday the Braves do not have a game. That will be the first Sunday in season they don't have a scheduled game since 1933. Damn.

Reactions: Hayduke GW
Interesting article- MLB trying to attract young fans
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/baseball-back-whats-new-mlb-year-203649230.html

Baseball is in a good position financially but its the next generation that has to be watched for.

I don't think giving free things away will help much. I think how long the game takes is the bigger problem-- down time needs to be looked at (I know they are doing it already, but they need to continue).

One of the comments:
Went to a spring training game and realized the game was just under 2.5 hours. Then I realized why. The game "clock" was 2 minutes. That's how much time was allowed between half innings. All pitching changes were done before the inning began, so there were not multiple trips to the mound so a pitcher can face one batter. It was a brisk and most enjoyable 2.5 hours

Number two would be the cost of how much it is for a family to go...

Last edited:
Interesting article- MLB trying to attract young fans
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/baseball-back-whats-new-mlb-year-203649230.html

Baseball is in a good position financially but its the next generation that has to be watched for.

I don't think giving free things away will help much. I think how long the game takes is the bigger problem-- down time needs to be looked at (I know they are doing it already, but they need to continue).

One of the comments:
Went to a spring training game and realized the game was just under 2.5 hours. Then I realized why. The game "clock" was 2 minutes. That's how much time was allowed between half innings. All pitching changes were done before the inning began, so there were not multiple trips to the mound so a pitcher can face one batter. It was a brisk and most enjoyable 2.5 hours

Number two would be the cost of how much it is for a family to go...

Price point is a huge issue with me. Most seats are 50-80 dollars and paying those prices x 4 plus 30 dollar parking is not something you will end up doing more than maybe once or two times a season.

Price point is a huge issue with me. Most seats are 50-80 dollars and paying those prices x 4 plus 30 dollar parking is not something you will end up doing more than maybe once or two times a season.
That is a ridiculous amount when you consider there's 40k - 50k seats available 81 times a year.

That is a ridiculous amount when you consider there's 40k - 50k seats available 81 times a year.

Before the wife informed the kids have doctors appointments later today, I was going to grab 4 tickets for tonight and could not believe the prices.

Wild opener for the Pirates and Tigers in Detroit today. 13-10 bottom of the 13th now. Both teams scored 4 in the ninth and the Tigers had the winning run in the 10th taken away after a review changed the call at the plate.

Giants really improved their roster in the off-season with McCutcheon and Longoria. Watch for the Giants.
Baseball just seems better when the Giants are good. Not sure why but it does. Adding those two guys, who I like, will make it even more interesting and hopefully they beat the Dodgers.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
This just in....the Miami Marlins have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs....scorched Earth...once again. Two World Series Championships and twenty three other seasons of ineptitude to mediocrity...this will be one of the worst...another 100 loss year. New ownership, SOS. When does football start?

2/2 to start the season, against My Cubs. My mom loves the Marlins, so I keep up with them to agrivate her. They had a good spring training, you might be suprised. I think they finish 2nd behind tje Nats, division is pretty weak. Unless the Mets do something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT