ADVERTISEMENT

Jeep Wrangler...any input on these?

Jeeps? If you own one, safety is not your concern, freedom of maneuver and pure love of the vehicle is.

My garage since 1980 something:

1951 Willys M38 (still own to this day)
1967 CJ5
1974 CJ5
1993 YJ (My Big Rig)
1998 Cherokee
1998 Grand Cherokee
Next Up - Rubicon

IMG_0029.jpg

MudJeep1.jpg

1974CJ-5I.jpg
NextJeep.jpg

I have no problem with an experienced driver owning a jeep. They're much less safe than a real car...but they're probably twice to even ten times the equivalent in safety as a motorcycle. At least you've got some metal around you and a safety harness to keep you from pulping your skull on the road where the only recognizable bit is the eyeball some poor paramedic has to pick up before someone steps on it.

My only quibble is having a nube own one. Start out and probably crash a time or two a real ordinary yet safe car THEN get your jeeps, SUVs and sports cars.

Ha, yeah they aren't very practical if you have to try to put a car seat in the back. Much better once the kids are big enough to just grab the bar, step on the back tire & jump in the back. The 10 y/o loves it when I pick him up from school with the top down.

Exactly...and by the time you put stroller in and add wife you are just about out of space all together.

I'm making payments on it as well. We have a Ford Escape and RAV4 for everyday use....it's becoming a huge money suck. It's just so hard for me to come to terms with selling it.

But I would sell in a heart beat if someone came to me with an offer, just not wanting to take the initiative :-/

I have no problem with an experienced driver owning a jeep. They're much less safe than a real car...but they're probably twice to even ten times the equivalent in safety as a motorcycle. At least you've got some metal around you and a safety harness to keep you from pulping your skull on the road where the only recognizable bit is the eyeball some poor paramedic has to pick up before someone steps on it.

My only quibble is having a nube own one. Start out and probably crash a time or two a real ordinary yet safe car THEN get your jeeps, SUVs and sports cars.

Idk...I feel safer in my jeep than I do most other vehicles. Maybe that's false sense of security, but it feels that way.

I would say they are safer than most all cars and close to as safe as most all Trucks.

Idk...I feel safer in my jeep than I do most other vehicles. Maybe that's false sense of security, but it feels that way.

I would say they are safer than most all cars and close to as safe as most all Trucks.

Yeah that's just the false sense of security of being in "sturdy" jeep or SUV, but those are the least safe motor vehicles (other than bikes which are definitely closed casket death machines on the highway). Ordinary cars are required to have more safety features and are designed to take high speed impacts well. A small Sonata or Elantra type of car is safer than a Suburban by all safety tests but of course a soccer mom would never believe it when they're driving around in their tank/minivan hybrid.

Take the Sonata, it's got a 9.4 overall safety rating with the highest possible scores on front crash, side crash, read crash, roof and roll cage strength, and survivability scores from the NHTSA agency and a 4.5 out of 5 for rollover. Then look at the Suburban, it's only got top marks for side crashes, it's rear and front survivability are well below that of the Sonata and it has the same 3 out of 5 for rollover as the jeep and a 3 for roof/roll cage strength.

And again I know I'm being a broken record but a 3 blows. I've never seen anything below that on new American or Asian cars.

Yeah that's just the false sense of security of being in "sturdy" jeep or SUV, but those are the least safe motor vehicles (other than bikes which are definitely closed casket death machines on the highway). Ordinary cars are required to have more safety features and are designed to take high speed impacts well. A small Sonata or Elantra type of car is safer than a Suburban by all safety tests but of course a soccer mom would never believe it when they're driving around in their tank/minivan hybrid.

Take the Sonata, it's got a 9.4 overall safety rating with the highest possible scores on front crash, side crash, read crash, roof and roll cage strength, and survivability scores from the NHTSA agency and a 4.5 out of 5 for rollover. Then look at the Suburban, it's only got top marks for side crashes, it's rear and front survivability are well below that of the Sonata and it has the same 3 out of 5 for rollover as the jeep and a 3 for roof/roll cage strength.

And again I know I'm being a broken record but a 3 blows. I've never seen anything below that on new American or Asian cars.

Yeah...I'm still thinking id rather be in the suburban over a sonata if I had the choice if knowing I'm about to get in an accident of some kind. Weird how that works.

But back to jeeps

Jeeps are great...think I might go for a ride now, it's beautiful out today in Tampa!

Even assuming suburban may score lower than sonata on single car crash tests, if you match a suburban against a sonata in a real crash you will probably be glad you're in a suburban.

'90 YJ and '14 Rubicon here. Just do it. Maybe look into a TJ (96-2006), they are mostly reliable and parts/upgrades are cheap enough. The safety thing is a bit of concern but seriously they aren't fast enough for any type of high speed rollovers and if lifted correctly and with a little common sense (he probably doesn't need a 6" lift and 38s to drive everyday in the highway) they are far less dangerous. Also if rust free and taken care of it wont lose its value....if you price out used 07-10 4 doors you will find they are selling crazy close to MsRP at the time they were new.

Thanks all.
She's 20 and a sophomore at FSU.
Driving a Kia now so jeep wouldn't be her 1st vehicle.

Thanks all.
She's 20 and a sophomore at FSU.
Driving a Kia now so jeep wouldn't be her 1st vehicle.

Let me know if you are going to buy one. I'll give you a better deal than what you'll find on a lot.

I've wanted one since I was 16 and have been looking off and on for a couple of years as a second, weekend vehicle.

Jeeps are big boy toys. Not something I'd give an inexperienced driver regardless of age/gender.

Jeeps are just like a Scout, Early Bronco, or even a Suzuki Samurai. A small short wheel-base, high center of gravity vehicle that can rollover quick if the driver has zero commonsense or too many natural lights.

Helluva toy though.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Let me know if you are going to buy one. I'll give you a better deal than what you'll find on a lot.

Make sure you get some pics of 20 yo daughter standing outside the jeep since doc isn't going to follow board rules

Literally been driving Jeeps since I was eight. Dad put me behind the wheel of that Willys in the Ocala forest in the early 80's and I've been driving them ever since.

Literally been driving Jeeps since I was eight. Dad put me behind the wheel of that Willys in the Ocala forest in the early 80's and I've been driving them ever since.
My siblings and I learned to drive in my Dad's 43 Willys army jeep that he bought surplus from the army. We still have it.

Reactions: RTM58
The kid has one of these as their dream vehicle...I don't know why.
Just doing some preliminary research into them they are clearly excellent for off road stuff but not particularly safe vehicles in the crash test stuff. Not great on pavement, noisy, squirrely....

Anybody have any input on them?
One of the worst riding vehicles I have ever driven. Extremely popular with the younger set. Very hard to buy at any kind of a decent price.
Seem to hold up pretty well. The 4.0 motors are the most popular, but nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder engine unless you are going to be
towing some big boat behind it. Probably the most popular off road vehicles on the market. If you are going to buy one, be ready to open
your wallet real wide! Dealers who have them laugh at you if you ask for a lower price.

BTW, my neighbor has a 2004 "Sport" for sale. 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, 140K. He tells me it's
worth $10,000.

Last edited:
I have a '98 Wrangler 4.0 with a 5 speed. Never have had any major problems. Bought it in 2002 to pull behind my motor home. I have used it exclusively for work the past 10 years. 200,000 miles and still going strong.

The kid has one of these as their dream vehicle...I don't know why.
Just doing some preliminary research into them they are clearly excellent for off road stuff but not particularly safe vehicles in the crash test stuff. Not great on pavement, noisy, squirrely....

Anybody have any input on them?
I had one and I assume you mean a teenager when you say "kid". I really enjoyed mine and wish I had kept it when I bought my next vehicle. That said, I would not let my new driver child have one. Any little panic turn at a decent speed when having to slam on your breaks could result in flipping it.

On a side note, I wish my parents had taken into consideration my "dream list of vehicles" when they bought me my first car... Oh wait, they didn't even buy me one because we were po'.

long time ago i had a 94 Cherokee, the boxy type, not the grand cherokee. Sold it to this guy who was buying it for his son. Let the kid and the dad test drive it, i'm sitting in the back. On the very first turn, the kid almost rolled it, lol. Dad made him sit in the back for the rest of the test drive. Dad was so embarrassed he bought it without haggling. It was an OK vehicle. had some issues with the suspension - uv joints or something. typical poorly made american crap.

6_FCF_Pedro_Guerios.jpeg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I had one and I assume you mean a teenager when you say "kid". I really enjoyed mine and wish I had kept it when I bought my next vehicle. That said, I would not let my new driver child have one. Any little panic turn at a decent speed when having to slam on your breaks could result in flipping it.

On a side note, I wish my parents had taken into consideration my "dream list of vehicles" when they bought me my first car... Oh wait, they didn't even buy me one because we were po'.

My parents didn't buy me one either. I used my ABC Pizza money to get a 79 (in 1993) Plymouth Volare for $500. The odd thing is of all of my cars that one is still running. They had one of the most reliable and easy to fix engine of all time the old slant 6 and my parents neighbor still uses it as his construction site vehicle. That thing was a solid steel tank with a good reliable engine....just ugly as sin.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT