ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Jones Theatens to Sue the NFL

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
To this untrained non-attorney eye, this looks like a case of a spoiled billionaire who has not gotten his way in the Elliot case wanting revenge. His rants and tantrums have been so bad that Arthur Blank removed him as a non-voting member of the compensation committee.

Funny how Jones fully supported Goodell when the league was going after the Patriots and Tom Brady but now that the script has been flipped, he wants him gone.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ng-misled-roger-goodell-contract-negotiations

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Yep; billionaires' problems. It is my understanding that there is a lot of hostility by other owners at Jones because it is perceived that he wields too much power and makes the most money from non-revenue sharing products.

Yep; billionaires' problems. It is my understanding that there is a lot of hostility by other owners at Jones because it is perceived that he wields too much power and makes the most money from non-revenue sharing products.
A lawsuit certainly isn't the way to mend a relationship.

If what he says is true about the NFL Constitution, he has a right to sue. This whole situation with Godell reminds me of Daniels quote from The Wire about taking credit when stats are good, you have to be prepared to take the blame when the stats are bad.

Many many owners aren't very happy with with Godell over the handling of kneeling thing.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
But they are thrilled with the $13 billion in revenue. His primary job is to make money for the league and he has excelled at that.

Apparently a number of the owners, and at least one players rep, see this as the issue.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
It's not news to anyone that Jerry has a massive ego, even by NFL ownership standards.

All that said, the NFL is tearing itself apart and living in the past. Goodell has grown revenues but his hubris and penchant for indecisiveness and coverups makes him an inadequate, if not corrosive, "war time consigliere".

As commissioner, he's failed to show any leadership whatsoever in addressing CTE, officiating/rules, domestic violence, game length/format revisions, and of course most recently player concerns about a flawed justice system.

Simply assessing game play, the NFL has become increasingly stagnant and unwatchable. Rules are applied unevenly by refs, game flow is herky jerky, there are no stars or teams at their peak. Then looking at the environmental factors such as CTE, publicly funded stadiums, silent protests, the ascendance of digital media, the increased competition for fans' disposable income -- there's absolutely nothing that tells me Goodell is prepared to act decisively, or at all, to remedy a single one of these legitimate causes for concern about the leagues long term health.

I've stopped watching the NFL, but it has nothing to do with the kneeling issue. The game has simply become boring to me. Somehow they've managed to suck all of the fun out of the game. And I'll be honest when I say I don't know exactly when and where it started.

Granted, I'm a Bucs fan so that's hard to watch, but I turn on the other games and theirs simply nothing there that excites me.

I've stopped watching the NFL, but it has nothing to do with the kneeling issue. The game has simply become boring to me. Somehow they've managed to suck all of the fun out of the game. And I'll be honest when I say I don't know exactly when and where it started.

Granted, I'm a Bucs fan so that's hard to watch, but I turn on the other games and theirs simply nothing there that excites me.
Same -- the game is so slow and plodding. Commercials, penalties, CTE risk, I am sometimes stunned I've spent so many weekends pissing away time watching games. There are no great teams or marquee players worth following, games aren't close, tend to be sloppy, QB play has declined, very few wow players at any position.

If I watch do, I only watch on redzone simply to track FSU players.

Reactions: billanole
Same -- the game is so slow and plodding. Commercials, penalties, CTE risk, I am sometimes stunned I've spent so many weekends pissing away time watching games. There are no great teams or marquee players worth following, games aren't close, tend to be sloppy, QB play has declined, very few wow players at any position.

If I watch do, I only watch on redzone simply to track FSU players.
Same here - If I watch pro football any more, it's usually the Redzone channel. I'm not sure when the lat time I watched a complete NFL game was. It just got to be boring - in a 4-hour broadcast there's maybe 10 minutes of good, exciting action. The rest is commercials, penalties, or boring plays where nothing consequential happens. It's WAY too much time commitment for that little payoff.

Same here - If I watch pro football any more, it's usually the Redzone channel. I'm not sure when the lat time I watched a complete NFL game was. It just got to be boring - in a 4-hour broadcast there's maybe 10 minutes of good, exciting action. The rest is commercials, penalties, or boring plays where nothing consequential happens. It's WAY too much time commitment for that little payoff.
Amen. Also, cue the NBA, MLB until this most recent post season, and recently NCAA football, basketball, and to a lesser extent baseball. The stupidity of pay, costs to fans including for apparel which is one of the entry ways for kids, never ending demands for facilities, etc... Bump ‘em. One of my long time passions has lost my attention and talking to one of my brothers today, it a’int just me.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I think they are all in cahoots and using the once Goodell supporter to make him uncomfortable.

Let’s face it, the league is on the decline. Now that Jerry has raised his hand with unhappiness, the other owners can follow suit without feeling alone if they become displeased.

It was all a ruse to get Goodell's attention.

Amen. Also, cue the NBA, MLB until this most recent post season, and recently NCAA football, basketball, and to a lesser extent baseball. The stupidity of pay, costs to fans including for apparel which is one of the entry ways for kids, never ending demands for facilities, etc... Bump ‘em. One of my long time passions has lost my attention and talking to one of my brothers today, it a’int just me.

Funny enough, the only sport which holds my attention now is the one sport many Americans have claimed to be boring. Soccer seems to get so many of the things right that the other sports don't. I think it's the non-stop flow of play, lack of commercials, etc...

Certainly that's not true for all games. Soccer has a lot of things to improve on. Flopping can be a major issue with some teams, and seems to be far more prevalent in some parts of the world than others. It shows up more in International matches than it does in club level matches. That can certainly suck the life out of a game. In group play when a team just needs a draw to advance, seeing a team play not to lose can suck the life away, or watching a team who is severely outmatched simply park the bus and hope to get lucky on a counter is boring.

But those are the minority of games in soccer. I think football and other sports could learn a few things from soccer. It would hurt revenues that they get from commercials, but it's those constant commercial breaks which I think hurt more than anything else. I think all sports could learn a lot by focusing more on constant action. Slow, plodding sports just aren't going to catch people's attentions any longer. We're far too used to immediacy.

Funny enough, the only sport which holds my attention now is the one sport many Americans have claimed to be boring. Soccer seems to get so many of the things right that the other sports don't. I think it's the non-stop flow of play, lack of commercials, etc...

Certainly that's not true for all games. Soccer has a lot of things to improve on. Flopping can be a major issue with some teams, and seems to be far more prevalent in some parts of the world than others. It shows up more in International matches than it does in club level matches. That can certainly suck the life out of a game. In group play when a team just needs a draw to advance, seeing a team play not to lose can suck the life away, or watching a team who is severely outmatched simply park the bus and hope to get lucky on a counter is boring.

But those are the minority of games in soccer. I think football and other sports could learn a few things from soccer. It would hurt revenues that they get from commercials, but it's those constant commercial breaks which I think hurt more than anything else. I think all sports could learn a lot by focusing more on constant action. Slow, plodding sports just aren't going to catch people's attentions any longer. We're far too used to immediacy.
Soccer at FSU is certainly my favorite sport these days.

I doubt this is solely about Ezekiel Elliott. Jones threatening a lawsuit is just posturing to get leverage. Call me when he files one.

I doubt this is solely about Ezekiel Elliott. Jones threatening a lawsuit is just posturing to get leverage. Call me when he files one.

That’s what screaming...it’s a move to get Goodells attention on the state is the NFL.

And I believe the other owners, like Aurthor Blanc, are in on it and supportive...it’s a strategic move by the owners. It’s really brilliantly handled.

Reactions: RTM58

Interesting post.

If games were shorter and commercials breaks reduced, I'd be okay with uniforms getting tatted up with advertisers, short 5-10 sec ads between plays, ad overlays superimposed on the field & sideline barriers. Some might say it would make football seem over-commercialized but I'd argue that it already is, might as well not chew up too much of my time.

I may also be in favor of something closer to a running clock that doesn't start/stop on first downs/out of bounds/incomplete passes - will def change some strategy, but that's fine with me. 3hr30m games are just too damn long and lack any flow.

Interesting post.

If games were shorter and commercials breaks reduced, I'd be okay with uniforms getting tatted up with advertisers, short 5-10 sec ads between plays, ad overlays superimposed on the field & sideline barriers. Some might say it would make football seem over-commercialized but I'd argue that it already is, might as well not chew up too much of my time.

I may also be in favor of something closer to a running clock that doesn't start/stop on first downs/out of bounds/incomplete passes - will def change some strategy, but that's fine with me. 3hr30m games are just too damn long and lack any flow.

I think time is certainly something all the sports need to consider today. People just aren't interested in 3 hours or more for a game. There's far too many other distractions. Sure, the NFL can blame it on people kneeling but there's clearly more at play there. People have far more distractions than before, so we're more willing to just watch something else. I think media coverage which has now become critical of players and owners, rather than simply propping them up as they once did before has hurt all around. We used to just see them all as fun, amazing athletes, who played for our team. Now, thanks to the changing media landscape, social media, etc... we know a lot more about these guys, and in most cases it's hurting. And so many changes have been made in the form of player safety, that the referees are far too much of the game, so much so to the point that it makes it hard to watch (This is also a major issue in basketball).

I would've loved to had been in the room when that letter was delivered. :Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

In letter, NFL accuses Jerry Jones of 'conduct detrimental' in regard to Roger Goodell's contract talks

The Associated Press has obtained a letter sent by the NFL to Jerry Jones' attorney accusing the Dallas Cowboys owner of "conduct detrimental to the league's best interests" over his objection to a contract extension for commissioner Roger Goodell.

The letter accusing Jones of sabotaging the negotiations was sent to David Boies on Wednesday. Jones hired Boies and threatened to sue the NFL if Goodell's contract extension was approved by the compensation committee, made up of six team owners. All 32 owners voted unanimously in May to let the committee finalize a deal with Goodell.

The letter, first reported by The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, was written by outside counsel for the compensation committee and given to the AP by a person who requested anonymity because it was not intended to be made public.

It's the latest escalation of a feud between the NFL and one of its most powerful owners. Jones has denied that his objections to the extension are tied to Goodell's decision to suspend Cowboys star running back Ezekiel Elliott for six games over alleged domestic violence.

Elliott abandoned his legal fight over the suspension on Wednesday. He has five games left to serve and will be able to rejoin the Cowboys for their Dec. 24 home game against the Seattle Seahawks.

"Your client's antics, whatever their motivation, are damaging the league and reflect conduct detrimental to the league's best interests," the letter said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ger-goodell-contract-talks-detrimental-league

Reactions: RTM58
In 2015, the NFL lost about a million regular-season viewers versus the 2013 and 2014 seasons. It represented about a 6% fall-off ― enough to be easily noticed and maybe even cause a little concern, but it could be written off as a one-year blip. Last year's seepage has turned into a major break in the dam. The league in 2017 is down about three million viewers per game from 2013 and 2014. When the specific teams appearing, the scope of the telecast and the week of the season are taken into account, the decline is even more dramatic: more than four million viewers, or in excess of 20% - Forbes

The players were give an option to do some community outreach and the NFL would pay, but it required them to spend two to four weeks of their off time on it. They passed. We will see how that works out.

In 2015, the NFL lost about a million regular-season viewers versus the 2013 and 2014 seasons. It represented about a 6% fall-off ― enough to be easily noticed and maybe even cause a little concern, but it could be written off as a one-year blip. Last year's seepage has turned into a major break in the dam. The league in 2017 is down about three million viewers per game from 2013 and 2014. When the specific teams appearing, the scope of the telecast and the week of the season are taken into account, the decline is even more dramatic: more than four million viewers, or in excess of 20% - Forbes

The players were give an option to do some community outreach and the NFL would pay, but it required them to spend two to four weeks of their off time on it. They passed. We will see how that works out.

And this is the main problem. The players do not want to spend time making relations in the community and contributing to help build the fanbase outside of the games.

Here is a GREAT example.

I was at an event this past Monday here in Atlanta. At this event there were Falcon players, they were paid to come and sign autographs and take pictures with kids and their families, (http://www.c10inc.com/events/event.php?s=2017-11-13-atlanta-falcons-executive-family-sports-night). The event was called "Family Night with the Falcons". There were probably150 kids there with their jerseys on excited to get autographs and pictures with the players. The parents of these kids were Dir and above personal from the top companies in Atlanta....the people who can afford to consistently attend games, buy jerseys, season tickets etc.

The deal was that they come for an hour and sign autographs and take pictures.

At my table was Robert Alford, starting cornerback for the Falcons. He is the guy who had a pick 6 in the super bowl last year.

He sits down at 7pm, begins signing and taking pictures. At 8pm there were maybe 15 kids left....maybe 15, could have been 7 or 8. Per the contract, he is only scheduled to be there from 7 - 8pm. So it's 8pm and there are 15 kids in front of him....he stands up, walks right past all the kids and their parents, out to the lobby, out the door, into the parking lot, got into his car and drove away. We all sat there and watched it. He was out the door and in his car in less than a minute.

We were all amazed he did it, he looked like a total prick. I had to apologize to the kids and parents for him and explain that he was only contracted for an hour of his time, and that there was nothing I could do. Those kids do not like him now, and the parents were saying the same.

There were 5 or 6 other athletes who also started mingling out a little after 8. They finished signing autographs as they walked out the door. The only guy who stayed and gave every kid who asked an autograph was Takk Kinley. I don't think any of the others left as rudely as Robert though. I'm pretty sure the other guys were nice and said sorry, my time is up, but thank you, and continued to sign as they walked toward the door.

Takk stayed an extra 20 minutes to get all the pictures and autographs signed, that's it, 20 minutes. The MC gave him a special thanks on the Mike as he walked out and all the kids clapped for him and cheered. Takk did the right thing.

So my point...the players have to help build the brand, give good customer service, do the outreach in the communities etc. Not be guys who say the world is unfair while they make millions, get paid more in one hour signing autographs than 99% of the country gets paid in a week, maybe a month, all while kneeling during our anthem and so forth.

This type of message and culture has to be owned by the league. The teams need to make great rosters and win games, the league needs to be holding players responsible for building the brand outside of Sunday. To do that, they need to be on good terms with the players association and preaching the gospel.

IMO, Goodell is a reactive guy who would make a better attorney than CEO. He can tell the story after it happens brilliantly. What he can't do is see the bad that is about to unfold (proactive) and create a good culture.....good CEO's can do that. They get in front of these things. Goodell is always in court, focusing his time on how to discipline and punish players, and not make them better citizens etc.

The second issue is Fantasy Football. It's too easy to draft players and get stats etc. They need to dumb it down and force people to watch the games. I can get analytics on every player and stack rank them with the click of the button..me and every guy in the league. There used to be an art to creating a good rooster...not so much any more.

Last edited:
For those of you who actually made it through my above rambling and clicked the link; I should mention Devonte couldn't make it due to his Sunday injury....he is excused.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Not necessarily when it's compared to the salaries of CEOs of companies with similar annual revenues.

Fair point....I briefly looked to see similar salaries, couldn't find any.

NFL made 13 billion in revenues in 2016.

And this is the main problem. The players do not want to spend time making relations in the community and contributing to help build the fanbase outside of the games.

Here is a GREAT example.

I was at an event this past Monday here in Atlanta. At this event there were Falcon players, they were paid to come and sign autographs and take pictures with kids and their families, (http://www.c10inc.com/events/event.php?s=2017-11-13-atlanta-falcons-executive-family-sports-night). The event was called "Family Night with the Falcons". There were probably150 kids there with their jerseys on excited to get autographs and pictures with the players. The parents of these kids were Dir and above personal from the top companies in Atlanta....the people who can afford to consistently attend games, buy jerseys, season tickets etc.

At my table was Robert Alford, starting cornerback for the Falcons. He is the guy who had a pick 6 in the super bowl last year.

He sits down at 7pm, begins signing and taking pictures. At 8pm there were maybe 15 kids left....maybe 15, could have been 7 or 8. Per the contract, he is only scheduled to be there from 7 - 8pm. So it's 8pm and there are 15 kids in front of him....he stands up, walks right past all the kids and their parents, out to the lobby, out the door, into the parking lot, got into his car and drove away. We all sat there and watched it. He was out the door and in his car in less than a minute.

We were all amazed he did it, he looked like a total prick. I had to apologize to the kids and parents for him and explain that he was only contracted for an hour of his time, and that there was nothing I could do. Those kids do not like him now, and the parents were saying the same.

There were 5 or 6 other athletes who also started mingling out a little after 8. They finished signing autographs as they walked out the door. The only guy who stayed and gave every kid who asked an autograph was Takk Kinley. I don't think any of the others left as rudely as Robert though. I'm pretty sure the other guys were nice and said sorry, my time is up, but thank you, and continued to sign as they walked toward the door.

Takk stayed an extra 20 minutes to get all the pictures and autographs signed, that's it, 20 minutes. The MC gave him a special thanks on the Mike as he walked out and all the kids clapped for him and cheered. Takk did the right thing.

So my point...the players have to help build the brand, give good customer service, do the outreach in the communities etc. Not be guys who say the world is unfair while they make millions, get paid more in one hour signing autographs than 99% of the country gets paid in a week, maybe a month, all while kneeling during our anthem and so forth.

This type of message and culture has to be owned by the league. The teams need to make great rosters and win games, the league needs to be holding players responsible for building the brand outside of Sunday. To do that, they need to be on good terms with the players association and preaching the gospel.

IMO, Goodell is a reactive guy who would make a better attorney than CEO. He can tell the story after it happens brilliantly. What he can't do is see the bad that is about to unfold (proactive) and create a good culture.....good CEO's can do that. They get in front of these things. Goodell is always in court, focusing his time on how to discipline and punish players, and not make them better citizens etc.

The second issue is Fantasy Football. It's too easy to draft players and get stats etc. They need to dumb it down and force people to watch the games. I can get analytics on every player and stack rank them with the click of the button..me and every guy in the league. There used to be an art to creating a good rooster...not so much any more.
@QuaZ2002

appreciate you reading my dissertation on the state of the NFL ;)

Here is a GREAT example.

Agreed. And with those players taking a knee, if they are really angry about the state of affairs, I hope they're actually backing that up with their own money and time. Getting involved in their communities and doing what they can to help the kids growing up there. That's what I did admire about kaepernick so much. He's actually gotten involved with both his time and his money, even though he no longer has a job because of it.

Not necessarily when it's compared to the salaries of CEOs of companies with similar annual revenues.
Maybe a little...I'd take out at ad for CEO job and $25 million annually, no bennies. I bet you get more that a few qualified candidates to replace him. The market at work.

MO, Goodell is a reactive guy who would make a better attorney than CEO. He can tell the story after it happens brilliantly. What he can't do is see the bad that is about to unfold (proactive) and create a good culture.....good CEO's can do that. They get in front of these things. Goodell is always in court, focusing his time on how to discipline and punish players, and not make them better citizens etc.

This 100% on both points.

NFL and NFLPA are at each other's throats and it's terrible for the league. If you look at the way Adam Silver refers to players, he refers to them as "our partners", which is a microcosm for how he sees their role in the NBA's future. The NFL still has a very old school mindset for the players' role in the sport. It's not 1970, you can't treat these guys like interchangeable bodies. Silver is a refection of a fairly progressive group of NBA owners, Goodell is a reflection of a pretty old guard group on NFL owners.

Reactions: DanC78
This 100% on both points.

NFL and NFLPA are at each other's throats and it's terrible for the league. If you look at the way Adam Silver refers to players, he refers to them as "our partners", which is a microcosm for how he sees their role in the NBA's future. The NFL still has a very old school mindset for the players' role in the sport. It's not 1970, you can't treat these guys like interchangeable bodies. Silver is a refection of a fairly progressive group of NBA owners, Goodell is a reflection of a pretty old guard group on NFL owners.
For that to change, the players must be better and more unified when it comes time to negotiate the next CBA. All Goodell is doing is allowed by a contract negotiated with and approved by the NFLPA.

Actually, there are probably zero CEOs with a salary even remotely close to that high. Don't get me wrong, I realize there are plenty (though probably not that many) that make more than $50 mil in total comp.

The only way a CEO makes that much though is if his/her total comp is tied to the stock price...options, restricted shares, bonuses, etc. No one (other than Goodell apparently) gets $50 mil for showing up. There's got to be performance to justify it.

For those who thought this was about something other than Goodell suspending Elliott....

THERE WAS A PAUSE. It was Aug. 9, inside Roger Goodell's sixth-floor office at the NFL's Park Avenue headquarters in New York City -- down the hall, past the executives' offices and his assistant's desk, and through a large, thick wooden door that is both imposing and usually left open to serve as a welcome. Goodell huddled over a speakerphone with general counsel Jeff Pash. On the other end was Jerry Jones. Adhering to the protocol of giving owners a 48-hour heads-up before a major disciplinary issue involving their team is announced, Goodell and Pash informed Jones that after a 13-month domestic violence inquiry, the Dallas Cowboys' star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, would face punishment -- a six-game suspension.

The line went quiet. Seconds passed. Goodell's decision was an unconscionable violation of trust, Jones later told associates, because he believed that the commissioner had assured him this past spring that there would be no suspension. Jones saw in Elliott a genuine opportunity, a player so good that he had made Jones believe that this year he just might win a Super Bowl for the first time since 1996. His anger was palpable. Finally, according to sources with direct knowledge of the call, Jones broke the silence. He aimed his words not only at Goodell's decision but also at his role as judge, jury and executioner in the case.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...w-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT