ADVERTISEMENT

JW indicated that a Publix employee gave him

For those of you who would argue that JW was stealing from Publix, ask yourselves this - how much additional revenue did he generate as a result of sold out stadiums and increased Tallahassee visitors? Was more than $32? umm - yeah, probably just a bit. I know all the counter arguments - he received a free education, you have to play within the rules of the system, etc... those of you make such arguments, be sure you NEVER speed or bend the law. Head right down to the sheriff's department and turn yourselves in if you do or in the alternative write a check to your favorite charity each time you speed/. Can't remember which circle of hell hypocrites occupied in Dante's paradigm, but I don't think it was a nice place.

the point.............................................................................you

Fine, he got stuff for free. Shut up about it and move one. Harbaugh said to him: (paraphrase) everyone knows about it, you have to talk about it, so just say it was a mistake and you moved on. Jameis' response: "what if I got it for free".

Shouldn't have asked that with the cameras rolling, but it should've been asked.

For those of you who would argue that JW was stealing from Publix, ask yourselves this - how much additional revenue did he generate as a result of sold out stadiums and increased Tallahassee visitors? Was more than $32? umm - yeah, probably just a bit. I know all the counter arguments - he received a free education, you have to play within the rules of the system, etc... those of you make such arguments, be sure you NEVER speed or bend the law. Head right down to the sheriff's department and turn yourselves in if you do or in the alternative write a check to your favorite charity each time you speed/. Can't remember which circle of hell hypocrites occupied in Dante's paradigm, but I don't think it was a nice place.
BillyMadison.gif

Reactions: West Duval Nole
The reality was all reasonable people knew this was a hook up from day 1. Most of the people who believe he was a thief came to that conclusion based on how he looks and his manner of speech. In other words, spelling it out for the those who cannot or will not connect the dots, there was more than a little conscious or unconscious racism operating in people who willingly decided a reigning Heisman trophy winner was just intentionally going try to steal some seafood. Most people knew that he was actually just falling on his sword to protect some guy working for $8 an hour.

Jameis is the gift that keeps on giving...

If you disagree with a specific point, you might address it if you are able. I suspect you are not.

What point did you make? It was a stream of conscious post that contained several straw men. There is no "argument"...he stole the crab. Getting the hook-up is stealing. Obviously, there are degrees of theft. Peter Warrick's theft was substantially worse than Winston. But it is all theft. To posit that a lot of people on this board and at FSU that get discounts is a straw man.

My opinion was that Winston needs to have more self awareness. It is clear that he does not. Stealing the crab was adjudicated, settled and done. Harbaugh's leading question was a softball that Winston could have fielded as "yes, it was wrong to do what I did." He admission that it was a free benefit from Publix now leads to more scrutiny for the program. It also leads to more scrutiny for him, as in, you lied about such a small thing like stealing crabs....why should we believe you are telling the truth about raping this girl.

My comment about his father originates from his father's statements after the crab-theft incident where he inferred that FSU was partially/majority at fault for his son stealing the crab because FSU did not provide his son a chaperon at all times to keep him out of trouble.

Reactions: given2fly
The reality was all reasonable people knew this was a hook up from day 1. Most of the people who believe he was a thief came to that conclusion based on how he looks and his manner of speech. In other words, spelling it out for the those who cannot or will not connect the dots, there was more than a little conscious or unconscious racism operating in people who willingly decided a reigning Heisman trophy winner was just intentionally going try to steal some seafood. Most people knew that he was actually just falling on his sword to protect some guy working for $8 an hour.

Frankly, I honestly thought that he just forgot to pay for them. Never thought he was getting a discount. Thought is intentional mishap was not returning to the store to pay for them and chalked that up to youthful indiscretion.

Frankly, I honestly thought that he just forgot to pay for them. Never thought he was getting a discount. Thought is intentional mishap was not returning to the store to pay for them and chalked that up to youthful indiscretion.

....and it was. He had been hooked up at Winn Dixie and it worked b/c you "paid" in the back at the seafood section. At Publix you pay at the front of the store. It was a combination of all the stories that came out.

What point did you make? It was a stream of conscious post that contained several straw men. There is no "argument"...he stole the crab. Getting the hook-up is stealing. Obviously, there are degrees of theft. Peter Warrick's theft was substantially worse than Winston. But it is all theft. To posit that a lot of people on this board and at FSU that get discounts is a straw man.

My opinion was that Winston needs to have more self awareness. It is clear that he does not. Stealing the crab was adjudicated, settled and done. Harbaugh's leading question was a softball that Winston could have fielded as "yes, it was wrong to do what I did." He admission that it was a free benefit from Publix now leads to more scrutiny for the program. It also leads to more scrutiny for him, as in, you lied about such a small thing like stealing crabs....why should we believe you are telling the truth about raping this girl.

My comment about his father originates from his father's statements after the crab-theft incident where he inferred that FSU was partially/majority at fault for his son stealing the crab because FSU did not provide his son a chaperon at all times to keep him out of trouble.

As for you comments about his father, I didn't read them, but I think it is stupid to say anyone should have a handler to keep them from doing stupid things. As for Winston opening this can of worms, I totally agree he should have just let it die. If that is your main point, we agree. He took the hit already and should have just let it be.

As for the rest, I'll simplify for you since you seem to be unable to decipher my "stream of consciousness" - You, unless you are the second coming of Christ (or had no friends in college), probably engaged in similar behavior (a free drink, free admission to a cover charge bar, etc..) and you are a hypocrite. You, and others like you, are either intentionally lying or delusional about how common this sort of thing is in college towns. Why does it matter? It matters because there are behaviors everyone engages in that are accepted norms and therefore less reprehensible than you and others like you make them out to be.

Is stealing wrong? You bet. In every case? No, I can come up with numerous scenarios where stealing would not only be permissible but a moral imperative. No, not all theft is equal and sometimes, apparent theft is not even theft, but instead a case of mistaken understanding of someone's authority. You assume arguendo that JW was in fact guilty of theft because he was willing to go the mea culpa route with the authorities when they approached him. You assume Winston knew the person who gave him the hook up did not have the authority to do so. Is it conceivable that he thought she had the apparent authority to give him the hook up with management approval? Nah - not for the haters. They cannot conceive of any scenario in which Winston is anything but the villain who went mission impossible to get away the staggering $32 of crab legs. Is it more likely that (A) he knew the person did not have the manager's or store's approval to give him the crab legs? Yep. But, is it conceivable that (B) he thought they had the go ahead from someone who had actual authority to comp the food? Yep. How many times do you think he was at a restaurant and the owner simply said, "Jameis, this is our treat. We appreciate everything you have done for FSU and Tallahassee." By the way, accepting such gestures will be labeled by the media as "ENTITLED" rather than politeness.

People have gotten into the habit of seeing the worst in him so A is really the fallback position they'll go to after they let go of the idea that he shoplifted. Accepting stolen property is a better fit for those inclined to fit him into the role they have cast for him.

He has very little self-awareness. It is everyone else's fault. Getting the hook-up is stealing. You didn't get it for free...you stole them. That is wrong and illegal. You were punished for it. Just shut up, have some awareness of what's going on and move on. Of course, based on what his pops said during this incident, you get the understanding where his behavior comes from.

Agree with this. And changing your story, during a televised interview no less, strikes me as a really bad idea. The bottom line is that Winston is not mending any fences in the court of public opinion. Sure, some FSU apologists will support him no matter what, but potential sponsors -- and jurors -- are probably scratching their heads about this guy. Not sure he will make a great trial witness.....at a minimum, he has repeatedly shown poor judgment on issues he should not have.

One: Tressel got fired because he lied and told other to lie, via emai.

Two: I know people slobber over Jameis like he's a shirtless Greg Jones pic, but I'm tired of the dude and ready for him to move on to the NFL. No reason he needed to bring up getting the crab legs for free.

That's pretty stupid.

Craig Erickson never paid for a drink or a meal at UM for five years. Free, free,,free...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT