ADVERTISEMENT

Keep an eye on Inv 97L (Now Hurricane Matthew)

I am getting sick thinking of the potential impacts a Cat 4 running up the entire east coast of Florida will have on our state. It is an unprecedented event if it really takes this path at that strength. It will likely be the most expensive US disaster to date.

Reactions: goldmom
But but but....I wanna see football....most won't have power, roads crazy with returning evacuees, many of those roads underwater and damaged or blocked by debris- is everyone on this board under 30 and cannot recall Andrew, Floyd, Charley, and maybe even Dora as a kid?

Cat 4 = BAD!!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
But but but....I wanna see football....most won't have power, roads crazy with returning evacuees, many of those roads underwater and damaged or blocked by debris- is everyone on this board under 30 and cannot recall Andrew, Floyd, Charley, and maybe even Dora as a kid?

Cat 4 = BAD!!
Agree. On top of that most who haven't been down there have no idea how densely populated the area is. A football game, while it may be a needed distraction, should be the least of our concerns.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Cat 4 = BAD!!
And Dora was only a Cat 1 as I recall!

Reading the the flight into the storm now is finding pressures have fallen to 925mb.

Right now, the area where my sister and BIL live in Palm Beach County is forecast to have hurricane force winds for 8 straight hours with 3 of those at 90+mph. Scary as hell.

What kind of winds you can expect in Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens and when:

• Tonight: 16 mph sustained, 23 mph gusts
  • Thursday 6 a.m.: 22 mph sustained, 31 mph gusts
  • Thursday noon: 33 mph sustained, 47 mph gusts
  • Thursday 9 p.m.: 59 mph sustained, 76 mph gusts
  • Thursday midnight: 78 mph sustained, 97 mph gusts
  • Friday 2 a.m.: 91 mph sustained, 111 mph gusts
  • Friday 6 a.m.: 55 mph sustained, 74 mph gusts
  • Friday noon: 25 mph sustained, 36 mph gusts
  • Friday 5 p.m.: 20 mph sustained, 28 mph gusts

And Dora was only a Cat 1 as I recall!

I was a kid. A1A was underwater - ocean met up with the Intracoastal and there was nothing there. Now the homes and condos stretch from Jax Beach to Vilano. I manage two oceanfront condos in Ponte Vedra Beach that were not there in 1964. I have told them to expect breaching of the dunes and water intrusion on a significant scale. Only two residents are insisting on remaining. Wouldn't you know both are in their 80's and are natives who are stubborn types. I can't make them leave.

I was a kid. A1A was underwater - ocean met up with the Intracoastal and there was nothing there. Now the homes and condos stretch from Jax Beach to Vilano. I manage two oceanfront condos in Ponte Vedra Beach that were not there in 1964. I have told them to expect breaching of the dunes and water intrusion on a significant scale. Only two residents are insisting on remaining. Wouldn't you know both are in their 80's and are natives who are stubborn types. I can't make them leave.
I here ya. My parents, sister and BIL and there 4 kids all went to Tampa last night. The stupid stubborn sister and BIL with 3 young kids won't leave. She said God told here to stay. I said God said you will be a statistic. They are in Port St. Lucie. Can't help stupid

And over on the TC, they are reporting that UM is bound and determined to play the game on Saturday.

Jupiter, Fl

o061217o.jpg

Last edited:
The damage from this thing is going to be crazy. Melbourne at 2am gets hit with 113mph winds going up to 120 at 5am dropping down to 77 at 8am. Even Fort Lauderdale is going to have sustained 60+mph from 3pm today until midnight. Palm Beach 75 to 93 from 7pm until 3am.

Makes me sick thinking of the damage. My brother and his family are well inland in Orlando vicinity and will get hammered by winds even there. Praying for that thing to move offshore a little further and also very nervous about what it's going to do after the loop.

In other news...Jim Cantore sighting at Ichabods tonight.

I know a girl that Cantore hooked up recently. I figured he had a girl in every port but his texts to her are odd as hell. He has an ex-wife and a live-in girlfriend but says that relationship is dead but these texts seem like they are written by a 14 year old boy who get his first taste of trim.

And over on the TC, they are reporting that UM is bound and determined to play the game on Saturday.

I'm sure ESPN is pushing hard for it too (top 10 ratings game every year), but yeah it's pathetic. Listen, we get that you have this big recruiting weekend and think you have a great chance of ending the streak. But maybe, just maybe, these kids might want to be with their families? Or perhaps the volunteer resources and cops could be better served helping communities put their lives back together?

Nah, you stay classy, Miami.

Reactions: noleclone2
We are all the way up in Southeast Georgia and roads coming north and west are jammed with people from the coast, can't imagine what you all will face leaving Florida.

I know a girl that Cantore hooked up recently. I figured he had a girl in every port but his texts to her are odd as hell. He has an ex-wife and a live-in girlfriend but says that relationship is dead but these texts seem like they are written by a 14 year old boy who get his first taste of trim.
Go on....

Reactions: Gonolz
I remember seeing that on tv - that was something!

Unfortunately, for Houston there are basically 4 ways for 4 million people to get out of town and away from the gulf coast. We drove all the way to Midland, Texas. 24 hours straight. When we returned home, the damage was pretty extensive - (see below).

spill-beer.jpg

Reactions: RTM58
My dad isn't leaving St. Augustine. Stubborn old man. Has some friends that are staying with him that live on the Island. Starting to get real worried about our rental property in Savannah as well.

Can't do anything about either but sit here in Mississippi and worry.

The day before Andrew came in, I was in the capital of Latin America for some meetings. What is normally about a 4 hour drive home took almost 11 hours. The turnpike was essentially a parking lot - between Miami & Yeehaw Junction, the fastest I ever got going was about 30 mph, and that didn't last long. About all of the rest area restaurants ran out of food.

It was really fun.

A friend of mine transferred from our Philly office to Miami this year. I emailed him to make sure he had the essentials: booze, beer, chips, ice and Vienne sausages.

My dad isn't leaving St. Augustine. Stubborn old man. Has some friends that are staying with him that live on the Island. Starting to get real worried about our rental property in Savannah as well.

Can't do anything about either but sit here in Mississippi and worry.

Gosh, I am sorry to hear that. Hope it ends up better than expected.

I'm noticing on radar a definite jog to the north over the past hour.... lets see if this holds, or even becomes more NNW. Would mean all the difference for Florida. 5pm update will be interesting... at any rate, obviously nothing will change with respect to preparation.

Reactions: RTM58
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT