ADVERTISEMENT

Kegerator Experience

I have some, as a home brewer and keep a couple of taps running.

But I have a purchased set up where the variables like line size and length have been worked out for me. If I control the carbonation levels and stay around 12 lbs of CO2, I am G2G

i used a calculator to handle the size and length. That's been fine. i put a new blue moon keg on this week and it was flat. I've ran at 12 psi for the last several kegs no problem, but this one was flat. I cleaned everything and finally changed the lines. still flat. I think i may have a bad keg and was able to return it to the vendor today and i'm waiting on a replacement.

I have some, as a home brewer and keep a couple of taps running.

But I have a purchased set up where the variables like line size and length have been worked out for me. If I control the carbonation levels and stay around 12 lbs of CO2, I am G2G

How long will a full keg stay good in a kegerator?

Provided it is supplied with CO2, a very long time. I have kept home brew for 6-8 months without any signs of degradation. The supply line from the keg to the tap will need to be cleaned but the beer will be just fine.

Reactions: FSURobert
i used a calculator to handle the size and length. That's been fine. i put a new blue moon keg on this week and it was flat. I've ran at 12 psi for the last several kegs no problem, but this one was flat. I cleaned everything and finally changed the lines. still flat. I think i may have a bad keg and was able to return it to the vendor today and i'm waiting on a replacement.

That can happen. Turn the CO2 up to 25-30 psi for a few days and that will re-carbonate the beer. Then turn it back down. But if there is a leak in the keg it will not work.

To me it will stay good about 2 months and by good, i mean where it still tastes good and fresh. 1/6 barrels are 42 pints, so they don't last long in my house. lol

Provided it is supplied with CO2, a very long time. I have kept home brew for 6-8 months without any signs of degradation. The supply line from the keg to the tap will need to be cleaned but the beer will be just fine.
If a Keg works like a bottle a lot depends on the style of beer. In bottled beer many styles improve with age. That is why the Budweiser add pushing fresh beer is a joke. The only thing that is negatively affected by age are the Hops. Budweiser does not have enough hops for age to harm it. If you are drinking hoppy beer I would think there would be some change to the Hops profile over time. However I would be interested in your opinion on this as well because I would love to be able to Keg my beer and have it stay good for 6 months.

If a Keg works like a bottle a lot depends on the style of beer. In bottled beer many styles improve with age. That is why the Budweiser add pushing fresh beer is a joke. The only thing that is negatively affected by age are the Hops. Budweiser does not have enough hops for age to harm it. If you are drinking hoppy beer I would think there would be some change to the Hops profile over time. However I would be interested in your opinion on this as well because I would love to be able to Keg my beer and have it stay good for 6 months.

I do not drink commercial beer from a keg at my house. I make my own beer and with home brew there remains some active yeast in the brew. Most beer, when left on the yeast will continue to develop, and get better for at least three months ( think of wine with a shorter timeline). The commercial breweries do not want the changes in the beer because they are trying to sell a very consistent product. So they take steps to stop the beer at a Specific point in the taste development.

On average I would not drink a beer until it has had six weeks in the keg, and then it will continue to improve for six to eight weeks while we consume it. Then It will stabilize and eventually will see some modest degradation that will accelerate over time. Thankfully the beer rarely makes it that long.

I am not sure what the regulations are for the local breweries, and if they would see a similar trajectory.

I do not drink commercial beer from a keg at my house. I make my own beer and with home brew there remains some active yeast in the brew. Most beer, when left on the yeast will continue to develop, and get better for at least three months ( think of wine with a shorter timeline). The commercial breweries do not want the changes in the beer because they are trying to sell a very consistent product. So they take steps to stop the beer at a Specific point in the taste development.

On average I would not drink a beer until it has had six weeks in the keg, and then it will continue to improve for six to eight weeks while we consume it. Then It will stabilize and eventually will see some modest degradation that will accelerate over time. Thankfully the beer rarely makes it that long.

I am not sure what the regulations are for the local breweries, and if they would see a similar trajectory.
I brew beer as well however I bottle instead. I do that because I do not drink very fast. In fact probably more than half the beer I brew I give away. I bottle my beer because I always felt it would last longer without degrading in bottles. I believe some styles will age like wine in the bottle and will improve with age.

Reactions: FreeNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT