ADVERTISEMENT

Kidney Stone - How bad is this going to be?

Well this sucks. Just left urologist and it turns out i have a 10mm stone sitting in my kidney. It may never come out but will cause all sorts of issues if it does. They are going in to get the 6mm and 10mm next week. they did up the pain meds though!

I've had them twice, and they're the worst thing I've ever experienced. Interestingly, neither of mine hurt when I passed them. The pain was all in moving from kidney to bladder.

I've had them twice, and they're the worst thing I've ever experienced. Interestingly, neither of mine hurt when I passed them. The pain was all in moving from kidney to bladder.

The "passing" is considered the move from kidney to bladder. Pissing them out is typically no big deal. If it's too big to piss out then they will crush them once the passing starts. The pain of something that size would make a person wish they were dead.

My ex had the surgery multiple times. It isn't that painful afterwards, just uncomfortable if they leave the stent in for a while. Now they use tamsulosin to help dilate the urethra and help the gravel come out. You should feel much better after the procedure. Don't forget the stool softeners with the pain meds. You can thank me later.

I have had over 50 over the past 30 years. A few months ago I had an extraction to get six. I had both ureters blocked and two more in each kidney. I also have had about 10 lithotripsies. The extraction and stent process is much more painful. The lithotripsy process is much easier. I assume that your doctor doesn't want to blast the stone since it may be a bit trickier to get at the bladder / ureter junction. I assume that they will put a string on your stent. Don't let that freak you out. It's not that painful when they remove it.

I have had over 50 over the past 30 years. A few months ago I had an extraction to get six. I had both ureters blocked and two more in each kidney. I also have had about 10 lithotripsies. The extraction and stent process is much more painful. The lithotripsy process is much easier. I assume that your doctor doesn't want to blast the stone since it may be a bit trickier to get at the bladder / ureter junction. I assume that they will put a string on your stent. Don't let that freak you out. It's not that painful when they remove it.
50??? Holy crap. Why do you have so many?

My ex had the surgery multiple times. It isn't that painful afterwards, just uncomfortable if they leave the stent in for a while. Now they use tamsulosin to help dilate the urethra and help the gravel come out. You should feel much better after the procedure. Don't forget the stool softeners with the pain meds. You can thank me later.
@NoleFan2U, what do you suggest people do that have them but have not passed? I had an ultra sound for something else, and they discovered I had some, a few that they said would cause issues possibly. I was told to drink lot's of water with lemon. Does that work, and what other things can I do? I heard that staying away from spinach is a good idea, but does that include all green leafy veggies? Thanks.

@NoleFan2U, what do you suggest people do that have them but have not passed? I had an ultra sound for something else, and they discovered I had some, a few that they said would cause issues possibly. I was told to drink lot's of water with lemon. Does that work, and what other things can I do? I heard that staying away from spinach is a good idea, but does that include all green leafy veggies? Thanks.

It all depends on what type of kidney stone that you have. I have calcium oxylate which are the most common type. Tea, chocolate, leafy green veggies are no-no's. Drinking beer, lots of water / water with lemon and taking azo-standard help in passing one already in the ureter. If they are big, it can take a long time to pass them. I had a 7mm one that took one month to pass.

It all depends on what type of kidney stone that you have. I have calcium oxylate which are the most common type. Tea, chocolate, leafy green veggies are no-no's. Drinking beer, lots of water / water with lemon (and taking azo-standard help in passing one already in the ureter. If they are big, it can take a long to pass them. I had a 7mm one that took one month to pass.
So I would assume you had them tested after they passed? I have not passed any that I know of.

Yes, many years ago.
Yeah I just don't know what kind I have. Hopefully they have passed without my knowledge. I can't remember the size, but for some reason I feel like they were 2 or 3 mm.

I had 2 stones when I was 26 that were about 6 months apart. It's been about 2 years without one now though. Here's a few tips for you. Start drinking a lot of water in general. I started tracking my water intake and double my water intake. Also some of it should be lemon water. Fresh squeeze lemons into water (skip the sugar) and over time the stones will be dissolved by the lemon juice. Also when you finally piss out the stone, save it and have it examined. There are 4 common types of stones. When you learn which type you have you can take measures to prevent them. I learned my stoned formed because I was doing crazy fruit/vegetable smoothies every morning and was getting way too much spinach. Spinach and other dark greens are high in oxalates which cased my type of stones. I cut out the breakfast smoothies and started drinking more water and I've been fine ever since.

Thanks for all the advice. Still waiting on this one to come out. Looks like I may have an infection so i am on antibiotics and have a surgery set for Thursday to go get it and the one in the kidney.

Went in for a ureteroscopy yesterday. They were able to get both stones so I don't have to go back in. Currently have a stent in and have been pissing blood and what feels like hot sauce for the past 12 hours. I pray I never get another one of these things again! Also, I am dreading them taking this stent out.

So, I went back to find this thread since I had some issues last night and today. It all started with waking up in the middle of the night having to pee (I drank a lot of water before bed) but was so tired that I just kept sleeping. I woke up a few more times and ignored the pee each time. Fast forward to this morning and I come to pee for the first time and I'm pissing blood. My lower left abdomen is tender, along with my left testicle (not often you get to use that word on warchant).

Anyways, the bloody urine kept up all day then stopped around 6pm. But the soreness in my abdomen and left boy are still there. Lower left back is a little tender also. I'd say I feel more so an urge/difficulty to pee than any pain peeing. I've just been drinking tons of water today and took a couple cranberry supplements and I'm going to my GP first thing tomorrow morning.

Are these symptoms similar to what you guys had before your stone findings? I've never had any issues or blood in my urine and have never needed a scan to find them if so.

So, I went back to find this thread since I had some issues last night and today. It all started with waking up in the middle of the night having to pee (I drank a lot of water before bed) but was so tired that I just kept sleeping. I woke up a few more times and ignored the pee each time. Fast forward to this morning and I come to pee for the first time and I'm pissing blood. My lower left abdomen is tender, along with my left testicle (not often you get to use that word on warchant).

Anyways, the bloody urine kept up all day then stopped around 6pm. But the soreness in my abdomen and left boy are still there. Lower left back is a little tender also. I'd say I feel more so an urge/difficulty to pee than any pain peeing. I've just been drinking tons of water today and took a couple cranberry supplements and I'm going to my GP first thing tomorrow morning.

Are these symptoms similar to what you guys had before your stone findings? I've never had any issues or blood in my urine and have never needed a scan to find them if so.

Uh, go to the ER.

Call a nurse hotline for a professional opinion. But if I were a guy, I wouldn't put off seeing someone for a testicle issue...they're pretty delicate...and especially since there are other symptoms.

Well, I am a nurse and a guy. Call your doctor or to the nearest urgent care. I'll bet your mortgage payment once your doctor gets your phone call he'll see you.

If you start peeing blood go the ER

I called the nurse hotline and she suggested to go to urgent care in the morning and said it may be the start of a bladder infection. My GP has urgent walk-in too so I'll be there at 8am

Take the pain meds as it helps both in masking the pain and makes it easier for the stone to move as it relaxes the muscles. Most of the final pain push is caused by just how jagged the stone is(google search kidney stone pictures for some laughs)! Unfortunately I speak from years of experience including 3 laser procedures - the stints REALLY REALLY sux!

I've been drinking tons of water to keep peeing and haven't had any more blood in there since it stopped late this afternoon.
My symptoms were nothing like what you described. The pain was in my upper back where the kidney sits and nothing in my boys. I would go to urgent care as quickly as you can. Good luck.

My symptoms were nothing like what you described. The pain was in my upper back where the kidney sits and nothing in my boys. I would go to urgent care as quickly as you can. Good luck.

Went to my GP (who also provides urgent care) first thing this morning. They took blood work, a urine sample, and ordered an abdomen and pelvis CT which i could get scheduled any earlier than Thursday. They didn't seem overly concerned at the moment but said it could be a number of things.

All of my symptoms have essentially gone away - the blood, tenderness in my left boy and pelvis/lower back.

Went to my GP (who also provides urgent care) first thing this morning. They took blood work, a urine sample, and ordered an abdomen and pelvis CT which i could get scheduled any earlier than Thursday. They didn't seem overly concerned at the moment but said it could be a number of things.

All of my symptoms have essentially gone away - the blood, tenderness in my left boy and pelvis/lower back.

Good; with any luck those scans will comeback normal and you'll be set...

Good; with any luck those scans will comeback normal and you'll be set...

Well the pain started back up last night with a dull tenderness and the, this morning, a shockwave of pain hit me on my lower left side and back area. It lasted for a little bit and went away back to dull. It's happened 2 more times in a wave like that. I called the dr and told them to get the CT scans ordered stat so that I could get in today to get scanned.

What the hell do you do while waiting for a diagnosis? Did you guys just go to the ER to have it all done quickly and at once?

Last edited:
My money is on a kidney stone, Percocet, antibiotics and a urologist. I know, a day late and a dollar short but my finger has been a bit busy lately. Hope you are feeling better soon!

So, 4 stones. The largest is 3mm, so that doesn't seem too bad compared to OP and some of you others.

What the hell with 4 stones at once?!

Last edited:
So, 4 stones. The largest is 3mm, so that doesn't seem too bad compared to OP and some of you others.

What the hell with 4 stones at once?!
Nobody can ever accuse you of not having stones...
Good luck, man. This sounds like you entered the no fun zone.

Save the stones and have them analyzied. After my ex had his 5th surgery, we put him on HCTZ and he hasn't had a stone since. Could work for you too.

Drink lots of fluids to pass the suckers and take the stool softeners with the pain meds.

Good luck! !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT