ADVERTISEMENT

Leftovers

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
Today is THE day for using up the last leftovers- making Turkey Pot Pie and then Carcass Soup.
Throw out the little containers of the other leftover stuff, then re-use the containers to freeze the soup to take to work as lunch. Have the pot pie for dinner and then no more turkey until next Thanksgiving. And definitely no more stuffing or sweet potato casserole-carb hell!

I wasn't happy with the turkey we had so i am looking forward to making another in the near future MY WAY.

So what's "your way"? I was okay with mine, but do think I could have done better. Was considering trying to smoke one just to see. I like fried but have never done one that way either. Do they go on sale now or after Xmas?

The turkey was brined and the skin wasn't crispy. What's the point of eating all the calories when you don't enjoy them? Since I don't cook, pop that sucker in the oven and take the foil off the top for the last 20 min or so. Boring but it's all I know how to do.

The turkey was brined and the skin wasn't crispy. What's the point of eating all the calories when you don't enjoy them? Since I don't cook, pop that sucker in the oven and take the foil off the top for the last 20 min or so. Boring but it's all I know how to do.

Yeah, brined a couple years ago, and didn't care for the texture.

I'm pretty good with turkey, also just roasted traditionally, but did a poor job this year. Overcooked it a bit. I know that's what a lot of people are used to, but I was disappointed. I'll probably do another one before too long.

I did a turkey, smoked a pork butt, and made two trays of eggplant parmesan, which was a lot to juggle and so timing was an issue. Turkey ended up coming in ahead of schedule, so I turned it down and extended the cooking time, and it overcooked. Pork and eggplant were good though.

And it was just for my family of five (one vegetarian)...idea was to get all the cooking done on Thursday and not cook again the rest of the weekend. Mission accomplished.

I made leftover turkey gumbo.... best use of the bird yet!

46800607_10157874972930410_2471272513661829120_o.jpg

46781366_10157874971005410_5796252687452340224_o.jpg

46981253_10157874971115410_2537472609826635776_o.jpg

47078961_10157874971595410_229500323331309568_o.jpg

I haven’t done it yet this year, but we usually smoke one or two birds to freeze wrap to have for gumbo, red beans, soups during the years. Turkey is so cheap around the holidays.

You can disagree, but you'd be wrong - leftovers are better than Thanksgiving dinner.

I cooked two birds, one in the oven and another on the smoker. The one in the oven was a disaster. That's due to our oven being an old POS that needs to be replaced. It doesn't come to temp at lower temps and takes forever. So...I bumped up the temp. Then bumped it up again when I thought it was still too low and dinner would be late. Ended up pulling it an hour early - the breast was over done and the thighs were under done.
The smoked turkey was great and got rave reviews. It was suppose to be my experimental bird as I haven't had much luck with smoked birds in the past but I splachocked, dry brined, injected it and it came out nice. Very moist and flavorful.

You can disagree, but you'd be wrong - leftovers are better than Thanksgiving dinner.

I cooked two birds, one in the oven and another on the smoker. The one in the oven was a disaster. That's due to our oven being an old POS that needs to be replaced. It doesn't come to temp at lower temps and takes forever. So...I bumped up the temp. Then bumped it up again when I thought it was still too low and dinner would be late. Ended up pulling it an hour early - the breast was over done and the thighs were under done.
The smoked turkey was great and got rave reviews. It was suppose to be my experimental bird as I haven't had much luck with smoked birds in the past but I splachocked, dry brined, injected it and it came out nice. Very moist and flavorful.
My brother Pat has gotten really good at spatchcocked bird, usually chicken. Pretty dang good way to go.

Tried something new this year. Deboned the turkey, stuffed with stuffing and sausage and roasted for three hours. Turned out great.

Without the duck and chicken. I let the butcher debone which most will do without charge. Used uncooked stove top stuffing and Jimmy Dean sage sausage. Not real complicated but turned out great. And mine ended up looking just like the one in the video.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT