ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville 48, Florida State 16 FINAL (game thread)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
GAME UPDATES

----------------------------------------------------------------

Chubba gets two possessions. Suffers a series of drops, including one by Helton that would have been a TD. And that's the ball game. It was as ugly as the score.
Louisville 48, Florida State 16 FINAL

Louisville scores again after FSU goes for it on fourth and doesn't get it. Atwell scored on a toss from the backup QB. And after Woodie got called for a pass interference.
Louisville 48, Florida State 16 6:55 4th Qtr

FSU was driving to actually make this a game, but Pokey Wilson drops a pass, deflects it in the air actually, and Louisville intercepts it. And then the Cardinals got down the field and tack on a field goal - should have been a TD but the wide open Louisville player in the middle of the end zone on third and 10 - dropped the pass.
Louisville 41, Florida State 16 14:15 4th Qtr

On the second play the defense steps up and gets a safety. Rice made a terrific play. FSU getting the ball back.
Louisville 38, Florida State 16 2:01 3rd Qtr

FSU offense - thanks to a dropped INT and a facemask on Louisville - drives inside the Louisville 1. But on fourth and goal the refs say that Travis didn't get in. Though it looked like he might have made it on review, but these things hardly ever get overturned.
Louisville 38, Florida State 14 2:14 3rd Qtr

Cardinals go down the field and score again. They fumbled, but recovered for a first down. Woodie had a chance at an INT a few moments later, but instead just kind of stood flat-footed and let the receiver almost catch it - it fell incomplete. A big Hawkins run sets up another TD run for him. He's got 172 yards on 14 carries.
Louisville 38, Florida State 14 8:44 3rd Qtr

The FSU defense actually gets a three and out. Nothing comes of it though as the FSU offense goes three and out as well. Webb was tackled behind the line on first down, Travis scrambled on second down and then tried to hit Thompson down the sideline on third down ...but he couldn't catch it.
Louisville 31, Florida State 14 11:34 3rd Qtr

Seminoles get benefit of a personal foul on return. And Travis scrambles for a couple of first downs, but a sack and two incompletions derails the drive. Grothaus's 50 yard attempt is wide and short. Louiville then misses a long FG of its own right before half.
Louisville 31, Florida State 14 HALFTIME

Louisville goes right down the field again. Cardinals pick up a third and 7 with a 43-yard pass to Ford. He beat Rice on a shallow cross and nobody else was on that side of the field. Got tripped up at the half yard line. Then a chop block on Louisville brought the ball back to the 15. And FSU took advantage, forcing a short FG.
Louisville 31, Florida State 14 1:44 2nd Qtr

Travis leads a nice drive there. Picked up three third downs and then a fourth-down TD pass to Pokey Wilson. Seminoles went 76 yards on 15 plays and took 6:32 off the clock.
Louisville 28, Florida State 14 6:15 2nd Qtr

Seminoles come up a yard short on third and 8. Norvell decides to punt for some reason (it was at his own 37 or so) and wouldn't you know it? The Louisville offense goes right down the field and scores again! This time on a second and 22 they find Atwell essentially all alone on a post route ... and he goes in for a 58-yard TD.
Louisville 28, Florida State 7 12:47 2nd Qtr

Noles get a nice drive going, but an illegal block and a terrible drop by Helton derail it. Then Cardinals go 95 yards to extend the lead. Nice pass from Cunningham to the TE.
Louisville 21, Florida State 7 2:54 1st Qtr

Louisvlle gets a three-and-out thanks to an incomplete pass from Travis on third down. Then the Cardinals go 70 yards in one play. Yep. One. Hawkins goes right side, nothing there, breaks containment with Akeem Dent somehow gets way too close ... and then goes 70 yards for a TD.
Louisville 14, Florida State 7 8:31 1st Qtr

Cardinals answer right back. FSU forces a third and 8. Seminoles blitz 6. Leaves middle wide open. Atwell takes a simple crossing route and goes 65 yards. Beat Brownlee on the play. Hawkins then finishes it off with a first-down TD run around the left side. Broke a tackle from Woodie and then just beat Dent to the pylon.
Florida State 7, Louisville 7 10:29 1st Qtr

Seminoles go right down the field. 65 yards in 7 plays. It ends with an insane Jordan Travis 8-yard TD run in which he fumbled the ball, dribbled it back to himself, from left hand to right hand, split two defenders and scored. FSU should have scored two plays prior but Webb dropped a walk-in TD catch. Biggest play of the drive was 30-yard pass to McDonald.
Florida State 7, Louisville 0 12:30 1st Qtr

What's up, folks?
We're live here at Cardinal Stadium.
Just a few players out right now, mostly kickers.
We'll keep you updated throughout. It's overcast right now, a bit windy, a bit chilly, but it should be warming up as we get closer to kickoff.

10:41 a.m. --- Stil in shorts and tank tops, but freshman WR Bryan Robinson is going through warmups with the receivers. We'll see what that means. Don't think I saw Helton out there, but again, it's early. Also didn't look like Corey Wren was with the other RBs right now.

10:53 a.m. --- CB Jarrian Jones is warming up. Looks to be dressed out (again, no jerseys on right now) so I guess we can expect him to be good to go for this one.

10:57 a.m. -- Parker Grothaus took the first kick in warmups. If that means anything to you. He and Fitzgerald are kicking pretty much simultaneously now, but Grothaus is working with starting holder Tommy Martin. So do with that what you will.

11:01 a.m. -- Quarterbacks come out for warmups. No James Blackman. Purdy and Helton are out there with starter Jordan Travis. Keyshawn Helton is also out there dressed out as well.

11:12 a.m. -- Jarrian Jones is indeed dressed out for this one. So is Bryan Robinson. No Nasirldeen as far as I can tell. And I can't find Dotson either right now. But I'll keep looking!

11:16 a.m. -- Not a stunner, but it would appear that Chubba Purdy is taking second-team reps for this one.

11:18 a.m. -- The linemen are all out there now. I'll start making sure I see everyone, but I did notice that Fabien Lovett is dressed and in uniform.

11:22 a.m. -- Tru Thompson is dressed out. Still no sign of Meiko Doston.

11:33 a.m. -- It would indeed appear that Parker Grothaus is the kicker this afternoon. Just took the PAT with the starting snapper and holder with the whole team watching.

11:54 a.m. -- As I jog my memory I can't remember seeing Renardo Green out there. It looked like Jay and Gant were the two starting safeties. So, we'll see!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News