ADVERTISEMENT

Marlins Cancel Opener. 12 Player and 2 coaches positive in just 3 games

And on the heels of them playing in philly, tonight’s Yanks/Phillies game has been canceled as well. Not a good sign that mlb will finish the season.

Don’t think they will finish the season. An outbreak like this so soon is bad. The guy in Boston has a heart issue now from COVID. I think players are gonna start sitting out.

We shall see. One team has a bunch of positives. 29 have reported no issue. They aren’t going to punt on the season bc of this. It’s a wake up call for sure though.

It's actually much better that this happen now and in the pros. Consider them test runs, pros get paid. Let them pave the protocols and hopefully learn something over the next month and a half

Reactions: esmnole
I thought this thing didn't spread when folks were congregating outdoors. Oh, I guess it's been spread in the club houses, that's it.

How many WNBA players have tested positive??? Just curious? I’ve heard about PGA, NBA, Premiere league, MLB and others testing positive but can’t remember any WNBA players? Maybe I missed that?

Guess I should have google before posting. Lol. But seriously as of yesterday when I did nothing came up??? I see now it shows a report 12 hrs ago but I guess what I’m saying is it hasn’t been publisized like other major sports. Just my 2 cents! Go Noles!!!

I would guess that WNBA Covid results aren't something the majority of sports fans care about. The ones you did see are also some of the most popular sports / leagues around the world.

Think you missed his point. Not about the need to eat but more of the need to go to places and not get affected. Think protests vs churches. Funny how you can get “infected and spread” at one but not the other. Just my 2 cents! Go Noles!!!0
One is indoor versus outdoor and a lot of the regulations have been for indoor activities for the most part but governments aren't shutting down protests because it will lead to more protests.

One is indoor versus outdoor and a lot of the regulations have been for indoor activities for the most part but governments aren't shutting down protests because it will lead to more protests.

Agree. So outside sporting event should be equal to other highly attended outdoor events when it comes to this virus. ; )

I wonder what exactly the 8 players who contracted the virus were going or doing? Four of the players were already out due to a positive test. That would important be information for the rest of MLB if they can get the truth out of them.

Side note: Every MLB team got a win on the first weekend.

Last edited:
Studies have shown that the other highly attended outdoor events didn’t cause spread/spike in cases so we should be good for a full season outdoors in the sun.

Studies have shown that the other highly attended outdoor events didn’t cause spread/spike in cases so we should be good for a full season outdoors in the sun.

As long as athletes are following guidelines on social distancing outside the work place we should be able to keep positive results low. The problem is figuring out how to police this with 85 18-22 kids at 100+ universities.

Reactions: nnfdnole
I wonder what exactly the 8 players who contracted the virus were going or doing? Four of the players were already out due to a positive test. That would important be information for the rest of MLB if they can get the truth out of them.

Side note: Every MLB team got a win on the first weekend.
Perspective is a funny thing. When I looked at it this morning my first thought was that no one was undefeatedl

Reactions: SoddyNole
There's no reason to risk college kids with this. The pros I get. Money both to owners and the athletes. Not worth the risk for the colleges. Pull the plug. Chris Hinton and his wife are right. What will it take, a kid dying?

A legitimate season seems impossible when the roster of any team could be knocked out at any time causing recent opponents to quarantine and future opponents cancel.

Might as well shoot for two or three exhibition games and hope it works out.

Reactions: David Slaton
The problem is that no sport is a 100% “outdoor” event. Yes, the game itself occurs outdoors. So it’s probably unlikely anyone transmits the virus while playing. But then they go into the dugout, or the locker room, or the gym, or the boardroom, or the coaches office, or the plane, or the ... well, you get it. Those factors will require solid planning, and strict adherence to distancing, mask-wearing, and other guidelines.

The Atlantic article about the Marlins and COVID indicates that the Marlins weren’t adhering to the rules (staggered arrivals, masks in the dugout, etc.). Phillies players noticed this and remarked to each other about it. So they weren’t surprised when they found out about the outbreak.

This is also of course why it’s gonna be so tough to play a college football season.

Don’t think zero but when a third of the roster tested positive, you might begin to question how long they play. Also saw now that white Sox coach tested positive, do you keep coach out for tell weeks?

Well right now it is an entire team that is staying behind in philly to be quarantined with two games already being canceled or at best postponed. Personally I see if they can’t make the games in Baltimore (Wednesday & Thursday), it will be shut down...that’s the entire mlb season.

I would say keep playing as long as you can so we have something to watch and follow. This is not college sports. I go to work every day as does most of the world. I would be willing to bet those players that caught it were out partying somewhere they should not have been. Keep it going as long as you can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT