ADVERTISEMENT

Masks

That's the plan.

State University System Announces Plans

TALLAHASSEE – The State University System of Florida is pleased to announce that all 12 public universities expect to increase classroom occupancy to pre-COVID capacity by the 2021-22 academic year and return to pre-COVID operations. Further, we anticipate returning to full in-person participation in athletic and social activities on our campuses, including fan participation in stadiums and arenas.

Ohio is lifting the mask mandate starting June 2

Seems to be happening across the country. So that’s a positive sign

Reactions: Idaho Nole
I think the concern is some variant that vaccines aren't effective against shows up. I think everything looks good for full capacity in the fall right now, but all it takes is something mutating in india and we might be back to square 1.

I think the concern is some variant that vaccines aren't effective against shows up. I think everything looks good for full capacity in the fall right now, but all it takes is something mutating in india and we might be back to square 1.
And that’s reason for people to continue wearing masks because something might happen. Are you going to stop flying on airplanes because it might crash.

And that’s reason for people to continue wearing masks because something might happen. Are you going to stop flying on airplanes because it might crash.
This will soon die down, at least from a media portrayal. Certain folks need to establish some form of “success” in view of growing turmoil on other fronts. Book it.

I kind of like my mask but people still yelled at me anyway!

44972615845_55741712e1_b.jpg

What are the odds of the school saying you need a vaccine passport to enter?
My son and I are planning to go to NY in June to go to a Yankees game. They said you have to bring the passport or proof on a negative test. That's fine up there. But what about down here? If that is tried in the south all hell will break loose. Just my thoughts .....

Reactions: misswebbsilverchief
My son and I are planning to go to NY in June to go to a Yankees game. They said you have to bring the passport or proof on a negative test. That's fine up there. But what about down here? If that is tried in the south all hell will break loose. Just my thoughts .....
I think Desantis proactively banned that whole idea.

They require MMR to enroll at FSU.

My two cents; people know the risks of covid now I am pretty sure. If a person chooses not to mask or vaccinate and gets sick, well, I think they understood that was a possible outcome. Just like the person who chooses to smoke or drink or drive without a seat belt or ride a motorcycle without a helmet (all more dangerous than covid in my opinion) It's their choice, let them live with the consequences.

Speaking of the Yankees..... not sure how the below (article) happens. The fact that 7 of the 8 showed no symptoms is generally good news I guess. But there was loads of people prior to the vaccine that tested positive and barely had a sniffle. Interesting article.

I'm a proponent of getting vaccinated if that is what you choose. I think its safe and a personal decision. I also respect those that do not want to get vaccinated. The post above from misswebbsilverchief ("My two cents..) is very similar to my opinion.

"A coronavirus outbreak among vaccinated players and staff has “rocked” the New York Yankees and attracted the attention of the CDC this week. So far, eight people, including shortstop Gleyber Torres, have tested positive more than 14 days after being fully vaccinated."

A question I’ve been wondering is what does it even mean to test positive? Are these tests so overly sensitive to the point that they’re picking up these tiny amounts of the virus that aren’t significant? If we tested people all the time in winter of 2019 would people test positive for the flu but have no symptoms?

Reactions: ChiefWB
These masks have been so effective everywhere in the world!

EzWuU3FVoAwHg16
Regardless of my feelings on the pandemic response.. I feel you're missing the point of covering the mouth and nose to protect others during COVID, surgical procedures or what have you. The virus isn't just floating out there in free space on its own and bypassing barriers without regard to physics. It is carried by a medium.. and the respiratory droplets which are exhaled from the mouth and nose are, on average, larger (with large variance between studies and exhalation method) than the average size of a coronavirus virion.

Seeing as this 0.1 inch gap on the side of the mask is not directly adjacent to any human vent holes, one could argue that a portion of respiratory droplets are successfully captured by the mask. Not to mention, surgical masks are multiple layers. Imagine a stack of swiss cheese as the mask. Holes in medium but covered by next layer. This helps to capture more droplets. Not perfect, but what is?

Without a mask, the spreading of respiratory droplets are a function of initial exit velocity, environmental airflow, pressure gradients, droplet size (with droplet size a function of multiple other environmental and human dependent conditions) etc... some of these guys can effectively pass around a room and land on a surface before evaporating. Note: large droplets (>150 um) carrying higher bacteria count have a large enough fall velocity to reach the ground from 6 ft elevation in 5 seconds or less anyway and posed a low risk unless being open coughed on or licking surfaces.

With a mask, at least a portion of these droplets hit a barrier and do not spread at all. (Of course you have a mask full of micro bacteria to properly handle)

This is an interesting article.. kind of related. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143281/

It has already been determined that you can get it from passing by someone.
1 in 10,000 chance of getting it from a surface.

Unless you are Yankees fans, I'd suggest going to a Mets game if possible, much better stadium.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
These masks have been so effective everywhere in the world!

EzWuU3FVoAwHg16
The people who see a message like the one above and believe it are falling for misinformation and are being deceived. All virus particles that I am aware of including Covid are contained in water droplets that people expel when they cough, sneeze or talk. That is what masks are designed to catch. How many microns is that water droplet?

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT