ADVERTISEMENT

Message from Seminole Boosters, Inc. Chairman-Elect

Dot Com

Owner and administrator of Warchant.com
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, Florida
warchant.com
Bob Davis, the Seminole Boosters, Inc. Chairman-Elect, reached out to us at Warchant.com to share his thoughts on Willie Taggart and the football program. Below is his message. Note: Please do not troll or take shots. If you want to disagree that's fine, but let's keep it classy. Thanks.

----

To the Seminole Nation

I feel it is appropriate to write a response to all of the negative comments that are circulating about our football program.

My perspective is probably a little bit different than most, but I feel it should be shared.

I have been a Seminole fan since elementary school (60 years) and I have certainly experienced ups and downs in our program. I can’t think of a single sports team that hasn’t experienced the same thing. Even “mighty” Alabama has had rough periods in their program. It happens and it will pass. We have the right head coach to lead us back to the top.

I am fortunate to have been elected to the Seminole Booster Board of Directors a few years ago and with that responsibility also comes some wonderful experiences. I have gotten to spend time with Coach Bowden, Coach Fisher and Coach Taggart.

I want to share my experiences regarding Coach Taggart’s time at Florida State. I spent about an hour with him when he was visiting the Orlando area for an event. He was very open and didn’t hesitate to answer any of my questions. I found him to be very genuine, honest and very much a Seminole. It became very clear to me at my first meeting that Coach Taggart was not only concerned with the wins and losses but also the development of our football players as individuals and representatives of our University.

One of my questions to Coach Taggart was what have other the athletic programs at his other stops done differently that we should consider doing here at FSU. He described a mentoring program that Stanford had in place. Each player had a mentor from their supporters to provide guidance on a regular basis about how to do things the right way and how to plan and succeed in the future. Our coach truly cares and is doing things the right way. Our players haven’t gotten negative publicity in the media this entire year that I can recall. It certainly hasn’t always been like that.

Another experience that just took place recently had a big impact on my outlook of our athletes. On the Thursday evening before the Boston College game a group of Boosters was invited to speak to the seniors on our football team about what their goals and aspirations were after their last college game. The young men I got the chance to talk to on a one to one basis were very impressive. They are intelligent, they are planning their futures and they have self-confidence which I certainly lacked at their age. Coach Taggart is making a difference at FSU and the players will tell you that.

If you have the time I would ask that you contact the football office and ask if you can meet a player and have a conversation with him. Ask them how things have changed since Coach Taggart arrived and ask them if they think we are headed in the right direction. You will leave your meeting with a whole new perspective of what is happening in the football program.

Changes don’t happen overnight. I believe that Coach Taggart is the right person to right our ship. I also believe that Interim Athletic Director David Coburn is the right person at the right time for our entire athletic program.

I am an alumnus, a season ticket holder, and a contributor of both my time and money to FSU athletics and I am all in to support coach Taggart in any way I can to help put us back on top.

Bob Davis
Seminole Boosters, Inc. Chairman-Elect

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News