ADVERTISEMENT

Minimum Wage

Hmmm...prices in destination towns are high? That's shocking to learn. I'd like to live in Maui or St George Island or Jackson, WY but it's too expensive. Must be CA's fault.
My insurance is probably much less than what you all are paying. My mortgage is less than most rents.
That’s fair. Don’t know about insurance. I do perceive a much higher regulatory and tax burden to being in some cali cities. Also, some of the supply and demand issues are artificial. For example, single use property rules, not allowing building up in some areas. But, yes, there’s also huge demand and high wealth accumulation and concentration.

Last edited:
The second and third sentence of the article:
"The law had been dubbed the 'Skittles ban' because an earlier bill targeted titanium dioxide, a chemical found in the sweet.

But last month lawmakers removed that specific chemical from the bill."

Seems to be some debate. Maybe the confusion is that they contain RED 40 which is in the crosshairs too.

And it seems the cherries use red 40 according to this article so are they one in the same?

Last edited:
It's definitely a tempest in a teapot, but just for the sake of specificity, even red skittles are not impacted by this law. Neither are Hot Tamales or Twizzlers. Sour Cherries are, as are some other traditional candies, like candy corn and conversation hearts. Regardless, it is pretty ridiculous that Red Dye 3 is still allowed in our food despite being a known carcinogen that has been banned in cosmetics in the US and in food in the rest of the world for decades. Thanks, Big Maraschino Cherry Cabal!
How many deaths are attributed to Red dye in foods each year? How many deaths are attributed to cigarettes? Why hasn't California, any other state or the FDA banned cigarettes? I mean if you're going to ban things for being dangerous let's start big right? Also, lets stick with things we ingest voluntarily and leave guns out of the discussion.

How many deaths are attributed to Red dye in foods each year? How many deaths are attributed to cigarettes? Why hasn't California, any other state or the FDA banned cigarettes? I mean if you're going to ban things for being dangerous let's start big right? Also, lets stick with things we ingest voluntarily and leave guns out of the discussion.
So…you’re arguing for a known carcinogen to be kept in foods because…people do unhealthy things?
That’s really the argument you’re making?

Red sour cherries and Hot Tamales used to be my favorites but I’ve given them up because of the red dye issue.
Smoking cigarettes is severely limited in Florida too. You can go for a month without smelling that odor- thankfully.

Reactions: Banditking
Red sour cherries and Hot Tamales used to be my favorites but I’ve given them up because of the red dye issue.
Smoking cigarettes is severely limited in Florida too. You can go for a month without smelling that odor- thankfully.
I hate cigarette smoke. I used to regularly play gigs (drums) all over. I partially supported myself that way for years. I learned how to play drums prior to my vision going. And, in rock shows, if I wore glasses, id hit myself in the face. Kinda funny. So I wore contacts to gigs. Cig smoke at a club or bar would cause my contacts to stick to my eyes. I had to scrape them off at the end of the night. So bad. I loved it when Chicago banned smoking in bars and clubs. Made my life dramatically better. I always felt that smoking was an invasion of my personal space.

I hate cigarette smoke. I used to regularly play gigs (drums) all over. I partially supported myself that way for years. I learned how to play drums prior to my vision going. And, in rock shows, if I wore glasses, id hit myself in the face. Kinda funny. So I wore contacts to gigs. Cig smoke at a club or bar would cause my contacts to stick to my eyes. I had to scrape them off at the end of the night. So bad. I loved it when Chicago banned smoking in bars and clubs. Made my life dramatically better. I always felt that smoking was an invasion of my personal space.
It is an invasion of your personal space. No one has the right to impose the stench of their habit onto your clothes, your skin, or your hair or to force you to breathe in that smoke.

Is smoking banned in clubs and bars in Florida now? That was possibly the best change I experienced when I first got to California. To be able to go out for an evening and not have to shower and wash my clothes as soon as I got home to avoid the whole house smelling like a stale ashtray.

The change in smoking behavior over the last couple of decades is really interesting to me. It went from being ubiquitous to almost completely nonexistent, at least where I have lived. It's a useful phenomenon to study for effecting behavioral change on a societal level.
Probably. I’ve not noticed smoking when I go out.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
This makes for very long football Saturdays. Don't get me wrong, it can be a lot of fun to watch football for literally 15+ hours, but it can also be exhausting as the season wears on, especially once the NFL gets going on Sundays. Last season, my partner pointed out that I was watching football 6 days per week some weeks. It's a lot.

I hear ya. Thankfully I’m just a casual viewer of the nfl. I don’t have a favorite team so I can absolutely go a Sunday or many Sundays without watching.

Saturdays sound like heaven to me. 9am and games are kicking off.

Or if the noles play late. I can’t stand games ending past 11.

They would end at 8 on the west coast. That’s perfect

Is smoking banned in clubs and bars in Florida now? That was possibly the best change I experienced when I first got to California. To be able to go out for an evening and not have to shower and wash my clothes as soon as I got home to avoid the whole house smelling like a stale ashtray.

The change in smoking behavior over the last couple of decades is really interesting to me. It went from being ubiquitous to almost completely nonexistent, at least where I have lived. It's a useful phenomenon to study for effecting behavioral change on a societal level.
For about twenty years.

It’s always a shock to get off the plane in Vegas and be immediately hit by cig smell.

Indeed. Vegas is a lot like “that was then, but I will still piss away money and my health now”…
I’ve only been to Vegas once. Stayed at the Cosmo. They have impressive filtration systems to address air quality though I could still smell it. Still had fun. The old strip was more interesting than the new one.

I have been there for work and we had a terrific meal away from the strip. Several other times we have flown in and rented cars for trips into Utah.
One night on the new strip was all it took. Not again.

Reactions: goldmom and F4Gary
So…you’re arguing for a known carcinogen to be kept in foods because…people do unhealthy things?
That’s really the argument you’re making?
Don't be stupid. Where did I say they should keep a known carcinogen in foods? Let me explain. Is red dye 3 or 40 the worst thing people are ingesting? Why not use that energy and ban cigarettes too? If you're going to ban foods, why not go after the big killers? Why are we worrying about candy and hot water heaters when we can ban cigarettes or put controls on big chemical companies? Nope, lets concentrate on the small things and make no dent in the real dangers. Smart.

And while we're on the topic. How many people are dying each year from this dye? Please share.

The CDC estimates that smoking cigarettes kills 480,000 people a year in the US. The FDA estimated at one time that you have a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting cancer from red dye in foods over the course of a lifetime. So what do we ban? Thats right red dye in foods. Smart.

Last edited:
Fred loves drama... I'm glad he's reemerged..
Things I don’t know: I have no idea who Belem is (although he was helpful in a thread I started last year to find out how to post images without the extra Imgur step, he seems to be brighter than many on here and has a good sense of humor.)
Also, despite some obsessive clown’s repeated insistence, Brainvision and I aren’t the same poster either.

Things I do know: My name ain’t Fred (just checked my birth certificate and multiple passports to confirm that.)
There’s a muffled laughter LMFAO dude on here who was also bizarre Warchant board characters Vasili Zaitsev and Noletzche, and who hopefully no longer mocks Coach Norvell repeatedly as “No-ville” and “loser”. LMFAO, right?

What I also know is it’s a more productive use of my time to just pop in now and then, read these threads and chuckle at how many of the same characters are still doing their best to outclown each other daily. Carry on.

Things I don’t know: I have no idea who Belem is (although he was helpful in a thread I started last year to find out how to post images without the extra Imgur step, he seems to be brighter than many on here and has a good sense of humor.)
Also, despite some obsessive clown’s repeated insistence, Brainvision and I aren’t the same poster either.

Things I do know: My name ain’t Fred (just checked my birth certificate and multiple passports to confirm that.)
There’s a muffled laughter LMFAO dude on here who was also bizarre Warchant board characters Vasili Zaitsev and Noletzche, and who hopefully no longer mocks Coach Norvell repeatedly as “No-ville” and “loser”. LMFAO, right?

What I also know is it’s a more productive use of my time to just pop in now and then, read these threads and chuckle at how many of the same characters are still doing their best to outclown each other daily. Carry on.
ok, Fred.. settle down, son.
LMFAO.

Well, I would be absolutely amazed if brainvision and you were the same person. I’d have to tip my cap to him, if true, because he’d be a helluva character actor.

And there is the mystery of these boards. You really don't know who or what you're talking to. All anyone can do is assume. Someone could come on here and do or say whatever and express whatever outlandish views just for fun or to merely stir up some discussion.

Curious on the multiple passports. Do they all have the same name or are they different like in the Jason Bourne movies?

Well, I would be absolutely amazed if brainvision and you were the same person. I’d have to tip my cap to him, if true, because he’d be a helluva character actor.
Feel free to compare notes with Hannibal, who’s always been insistent that Brain and I are one and the same

And there is the mystery of these boards. You really don't know who or what you're talking to. All anyone can do is assume. Someone could come on here and do or say whatever and express whatever outlandish views just for fun or to merely stir up some discussion.

Curious on the multiple passports. Do they all have the same name or are they different like in the Jason Bourne movies?
Maybe he’s an assassin? Though it would be weird to have the same name on all.

I agree, the anonymity makes the discussion more interesting in many ways. It’s just about ideas.

I'm just happy Fred is back in full force... Remember when he gave his farewell address? LMFAO Fred's protests too much, I think.

All the same name… mix of current and expired US passports, plus 1 current from the country where I’m a dual citizen.

I agree, the anonymity makes the discussion more interesting in many ways. It’s just about ideas.
The thing I like about this board is the ability to discuss topics like these. The exchange of ideas is helpful in seeing things in a different way for me anyway. Yes, I like to play devil's advocate a lot but it's to generate discussion and ideas and hopefully learn something in the process. But then there are some ideas that are out there too far. Like the flat earth topic. Completely out there but interesting as well.

Can't be an assassin... I'm still alive.
Apparently, Noletaire is reclining in a lazy-boy, Jack Daniel's in hand, inside Fred's cranium... and the craniums of his other accounts as well. Dude appears to be unhinged at this point.

Don't be stupid. Where did I say they should keep a known carcinogen in foods? Let me explain. Is red dye 3 or 40 the worst thing people are ingesting? Why not use that energy and ban cigarettes too? If you're going to ban foods, why not go after the big killers? Why are we worrying about candy and hot water heaters when we can ban cigarettes or put controls on big chemical companies? Nope, lets concentrate on the small things and make no dent in the real dangers. Smart.

And while we're on the topic. How many people are dying each year from this dye? Please share.

The CDC estimates that smoking cigarettes kills 480,000 people a year in the US. The FDA estimated at one time that you have a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting cancer from red dye in foods over the course of a lifetime. So what do we ban? Thats right red dye in foods. Smart.

Go get big backy. Knock yourself out. They can’t defend themselves from a determined opponent like you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT