ADVERTISEMENT

Most Exciting Winter Olympic Sport?

noleit

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Going with the womans hockey. Watching the US vs Sweeden game now and it's definitely more interesting then that ice shuffle board sport.

This post was edited on 2/17 8:08 AM by noleit

Re: Most. Exciting Winter olympic Sport?

The Winter Olympics are a snoozefest. I haven't watched them in decades. But if I had to list one as the most exciting I would vote for the luge.

Originally posted by IndianaNOLE69:
The Winter Olympics are a snoozefest. I haven't watched them in decades. But if I had to list one as the most exciting I would vote for the luge.
So it's a snoozefest, but you haven't watched in decades. An impressive feat.

Originally posted by bear1claw

it is isn't it. i have caught snippets from them but have not watched full events.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Alpine skiing, Slopside (snowboard and ski) and snowboard cross. The cross country and biathlon are also very exciting to watch. Love the winter Olympics!!!

Curling of course those girls are smoking hot. Winter Olympics stink.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by bear1claw

it is isn't it. i have caught snippets from them but have not watched full events.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Therein lies your problem, you need to invest some time in them. Hockey, luge, skeleton, bobsled, all alpine events, the aerial events are all good, but that snowcross is especially bad-ass. Sometimes I think "real" sports fans just say things like Winter Olympics is a snoozefest because that is what they think is expected of them. Competition is competition, especially when national pride (not just U.S., it's great to see all countries desperate to win) is at stake. It really is worth a look. I don't enjoy all of them (figure skating and speed skating are especially boring to me), I doubt anyone does, but to make the blanket statement that the entire 2 weeks is boring is a shame, I think you're missing out.

I am baffled by people who consider themselves true fans of sport and then completely write-off the entire winter olympics. I understood you grew up in football country and have never been within 20 miles of a luge track. But are you really that lazy and uncurious? I mean, I really don't get this.

The drama and excitement of people competing for their countries in an event that they've been training for for their entire adult lives is captivating to me, almost no matter what it is. I'll watch any event. And I watch tons of events online so I can get live coverage rather than NBC's pre-packaged crap. I watched the final run of the 2-man bobsled this morning, with the US going for its first medal in the event since 1952. It was incredible drama that went down to the hundredths of a second. My palms were sweating I was so nervous for our guys. I just don't understand why people would proudly boast that they find this stuff uninteresting without even giving it a serious try.

Downhill is my favorite, it's one of the best events in all of sports.

Originally posted by DC Nole:

I am baffled by people who consider themselves true fans of sport and then completely write-off the entire winter olympics. I understood you grew up in football country and have never been within 20 miles of a luge track. But are you really that lazy and uncurious? I mean, I really don't get this.

The drama and excitement of people competing for their countries in an event that they've been training for for their entire adult lives is captivating to me, almost no matter what it is. I'll watch any event. And I watch tons of events online so I can get live coverage rather than NBC's pre-packaged crap. I watched the final run of the 2-man bobsled this morning, with the US going for its first medal in the event since 1952. It was incredible drama that went down to the hundredths of a second. My palms were sweating I was so nervous for our guys. I just don't understand why people would proudly boast that they find this stuff uninteresting without even giving it a serious try.
You should know-- on this board and in the southeast in general-- it's either football or bust.

I'm a fan of a ton of sports--- my favorite at the winter olympics is the hockey.

Hockey is my favorite. But the downhill skiing is great. Those guys are nuts and it's very fun to watch.

To me I enjoyed watching downhill snow cross. the race on snow boards that has an element of NASCAR what with the wrecks ob the course.

I can't say which is the most exciting. I prefer football and the summer sports, generally. HOWEVER, other than football my most memorable sports viewing memories are of the Winter Olympics and strangely they are in different sports that I usually don't follow at all. First and foremost, the U.S. hockey teams performance in the '80 Olympics. Next was Franz Klammer's fantastic last-man-down-the-hill run to snatch the down hill gold medal from Bernard Russi in '76. OK, I admit it........... the third one was Dean & Torvill's ice dancing performance at the '84 games. Many people remember their "Bolero" long program but they were so popular that they're one of the very few teams to have their short program broadcast in the states. True artists.

I have to say, I've enjoyed watching some Curling. But we're living in Okinawa right now and have AFN broadcast TV. Seems they showed every possible Curling competition possible, whether U.S.A. was involved or not. For several hours a day two of the eight channels we receive had Olympic coverage and one of those two channels invariably had a Curling match on the air. C'mon, enough is enough.

In 1988 I spent five weeks on temporary duty (TDY) in Norway. During that time we visited the Holmenkollen ski jump site. Viewed from the top, I can't imagine the mind set that would make a person slide down that hill an fly out into space like jumpers do. That place was steep, and a long way down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT