ADVERTISEMENT

Most Expensive/Least Expensive US Cities for hotels

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
I'm trying to book a room in September 2018 for my mom (no pics) and me, in Seattle, to stay one night before we go on an Alaskan cruise.

Holy jeebus are the rates high! Anything worth staying at is $300-$450 per night on Marriott.com...but even Hotels.com and other aggregator sites are exorbitant. September is almost a year away. Makes me think the rates must just always be this high or worse there.

The only cities where I've seen hotel rates consistently this high are Boston, NYC, and San Fran. You can seemingly never get a good deal there.

By contrast, if you stay during the right time, you can get a Ritz or JW-caliber hotel in Atlanta, New Orleans, or to a lesser degree, Miami for $100-$150/night, max...just to a name a few very reasonably priced cities, hotel-wise.

What are some other really high or low cities?

I'm trying to decide if it's sweet or sad that you're going on a cruise with your mom.
:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

I think it's probably both.

I offered to take her anywhere in the world that she wanted to go...while HEAVILY suggesting that we go to Europe.

She chose an Alaskan cruise. Said that's what she's always wanted to do her whole life. So while I wouldn't have put that anywhere near the top of what I wanted to do, that's what she chose.

And now, I'm going on a cruise w/my mom (and my aunt and uncle - but they're paying their own way).

Maybe there's a big event going in Seattle on at the time you're searching?
I thought it might be that too, so just for kicks I searched by "flexible dates" and the specific day that we need, September 14th, was actually the cheapest day of the month. All the other dates were worse...some much worse. :eek:

1. I dont think its sad at all. Some day you will cherish those memories.
2. I travel to nashville a lot for work. I think hotel prices there are stupid for an average city

When I was there in August, we stayed in the Courtyard on Lake Union. It was awesome and 10 min from the pier. We used Uber to get around town and thought the location was great.;

Reactions: LesClaypool
1. I dont think its sad at all. Some day you will cherish those memories.
2. I travel to nashville a lot for work. I think hotel prices there are stupid for an average city

Hotel rates in Nashville are outlandish. I lived there for three years and they were consistently some of the highest in the country. The big issue is inventory, they just don’t have enough rooms, especially after they opened the Music City Center. They have enough square footage to host massive conventions, but not enough rooms to accommodate. It will be interesting to see what rates look like in a couple years. There are thousands of rooms currently in the pipeline, so rates may come down some as inventory increases.

We were in Seattle not too many years back for a wedding and prices did not seem out of line. Try getting a room in downtown Asheville if you like sticker shock.

My wife took my MIL on an Alaskan cruise (out of Vancouver I believe it was) about 10 years ago and they still speak of it fondly. Have fun!

:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

I think it's probably both.

I offered to take her anywhere in the world that she wanted to go...while HEAVILY suggesting that we go to Europe.

She chose an Alaskan cruise. Said that's what she's always wanted to do her whole life. So while I wouldn't have put that anywhere near the top of what I wanted to do, that's what she chose.

And now, I'm going on a cruise w/my mom (and my aunt and uncle - but they're paying their own way).

Have you explained to her what it means if you leave a rubber band on the outside door knob (or has she explained it to you)?

Austin, Texas. If you wanna stay downtown even the sub-brands of major hotels are north of $300 most of the time. I've paid as much as $700 for the JW there.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Was out in San Fran in sept. Red roof and motel6 types of hotels were $300. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Pacifica 15 miles away for $400 just to give you an idea. Was in Seattle last week and paid $130ish for a Hampton Inn.

Cheap cities are Las Vegas and Orlando. Can find nice rooms for $100 or so year round, decent rooms for half that.

Was out in San Fran in sept. Red roof and motel6 types of hotels were $300. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Pacifica 15 miles away for $400 just to give you an idea. Was in Seattle last week and paid $130ish for a Hampton Inn.

Cheap cities are Las Vegas and Orlando. Can find nice rooms for $100 or so year round, decent rooms for half that.
No way you were anywhere near Seattle proper and paid $130 based on the rates I’m seeing.

No way you were anywhere near Seattle proper and paid $130 based on the rates I’m seeing.
Absolutely. Stayed in the Hampton Inn Seattle/Southcenter. Rooms going for $109 for tonight as well as fri dec 8th on a quick internet search.

Hotel rates in Nashville are outlandish. I lived there for three years and they were consistently some of the highest in the country. The big issue is inventory, they just don’t have enough rooms, especially after they opened the Music City Center. They have enough square footage to host massive conventions, but not enough rooms to accommodate. It will be interesting to see what rates look like in a couple years. There are thousands of rooms currently in the pipeline, so rates may come down some as inventory increases.
Yep. AirBnB has blown up here as a result. Will be interesting to see how the new inventory will affect hotel rates.

Atlanta is generally reasonable. We stayed downtown for just north of $100 on Saturday night and am staying in Midtown this week for about $130 a night. I've been able to get reasonable rates in downtown Chicago.

I stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Seattle. Great place and awesome location. Probably would be around $300/night though. When I went 3 1/2 yrs ago I believe it was 200/night. Seattle is blowing up.

We have our events all over the country and Seattle is a top 5 most expensive city to travel to. Our latest rankings show it 4th behind San Fran, Boston, NYC. It was a surprise to me when I first saw it too. To me, it doesn't seem to belong on the same list as those other cities.

If you are only staying one night, and price is an issue, why not get a room outside the city for much cheaper?
I probably will. Was just hoping to see a little of the city first, and thought staying downtown and being able to walk would've been a nice touch.

I'm trying to book a room in September 2018 for my mom (no pics) and me, in Seattle, to stay one night before we go on an Alaskan cruise.

Holy jeebus are the rates high! Anything worth staying at is $300-$450 per night on Marriott.com...but even Hotels.com and other aggregator sites are exorbitant. September is almost a year away. Makes me think the rates must just always be this high or worse there.

The only cities where I've seen hotel rates consistently this high are Boston, NYC, and San Fran. You can seemingly never get a good deal there.

By contrast, if you stay during the right time, you can get a Ritz or JW-caliber hotel in Atlanta, New Orleans, or to a lesser degree, Miami for $100-$150/night, max...just to a name a few very reasonably priced cities, hotel-wise.

What are some other really high or low cities?

Seattle is always pricey. It's up there with SF and Boston on hotels. Nashville is ridiculous now too

There is a Residence Inn in South Lake Union that is very nice for a Residence Inn. I stayed there this summer and still paid $250-300/nt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT