ADVERTISEMENT

My Daughter Got Her Rejection Letter from FSU today

More Kirk Less Spock

Seminole Insider
Sep 9, 2007
My daughter, a high school senior who was initially wait-listed, received word that she will not be accepted to FSU. She has a 3.8 GPA and SATs of 1130 and apparently that is not enough. Feels like a stab in the back from the school I have loved for most of my life.

We were probably going to have her complete her AA anyway since she's a dual enrollment student who only needs 18 hours for her associates, but this stings. She has been crying for hours. Thanks FSU.

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that!

I went there like 20 years ago but I felt as though the kids coming in with 4.0's were very inflated, I went to HS school overseas and it was definitely a lot harder than FSU was!

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that!

I went there like 20 years ago but I felt as though the kids coming in with 4.0's were very inflated, I went to HS school overseas and it was definitely a lot harder than FSU was!

She'll finish the AA in due course. Just not sure she'll continue on to FSU.

My daughter, a high school senior who was initially wait-listed, received word that she will not be accepted to FSU. She has a 3.8 GPA and SATs of 1130 and apparently that is not enough. Feels like a stab in the back from the school I have loved for most of my life.

We were probably going to have her complete her AA anyway since she's a dual enrollment student who only needs 18 hours for her associates, but this stings. She has been crying for hours. Thanks FSU.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm surprised that didn't qualify her for acceptance. But honestly a year of CC isn't a bad idea for most students. I know for me it would have been better if I'd gone to a nerd school with no distractions OR gone to CC and partied until I learned to adequately party. Instead my gpa looked like this 3.8+ from dual enrollment at UF, USF and PHCC (similar to your daughter I was only 12 hours shy of graduating with an AA at the time I graduated HS), then a 1.9 at FSU for two years where they took away my scholarships and threatened to kick me out and a 3.85+ for the last two years. Fortunately all of the law and grad schools understood what happened and "forgave" my two %*%*y years.

BUT, if I'd gone to a nerd school (like Bill & Mary where I went to law school) and buckled down earlier (and I got into several I just didn't want to go) I would have had a much more successful early academic career. Conversely, if I'd just gone "wild" at CC I'm sure I would have still be easily able to keep up a 3.5 or better.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm surprised that didn't qualify her for acceptance. But honestly a year of CC isn't a bad idea for most students. I know for me it would have been better if I'd gone to a nerd school with no distractions OR gone to CC and partied until I learned to adequately party. Instead my gpa looked like this 3.8+ from dual enrollment at UF, USF and PHCC (similar to your daughter I was only 12 hours shy of graduating with an AA at the time I graduated HS), then a 1.9 at FSU for two years where they took away my scholarships and threatened to kick me out and a 3.85+ for the last two years. Fortunately all of the law and grad schools understood what happened and "forgave" my two %*%*y years.

BUT, if I'd gone to a nerd school (like Bill & Mary where I went to law school) and buckled down earlier (and I got into several I just didn't want to go) I would have had a much more successful early academic career. Conversely, if I'd just gone "wild" at CC I'm sure I would have still be easily able to keep up a 3.5 or better.

Thanks man / yeah, probably a blessing in disguise. I know what you mean about taking time to grow up academically. Just wanted her to be rewarded for all that hard work. FSU was the goal all along....My father went to FSU as well....she was going to be a third generation student.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
FSU doesn't care if your parents and/or grandparents went to FSU.....unless they donated a ton of money, then it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Seems the reqs are higher these days and her #s are just not enough. My GPA would have likely got me the same letter straight out of HS. Maybe she could do 4 years service and try again, worked for me :)

But CC would be easier.

Here's the Fall 2016 FSU freshman profile...

2016-admit-prof-fall.png

That's insane! The GPA scale is most definitely not what it used to be, there was no such thing as higher than a 4.0 a few years ago.
I enrolled at FSU in 97 and there were definitely kids coming in with weighted GPAs of 4+. The thing is, some kids I knew who had those inflated GPAs, weren't that bright. I went to HS in NY and neither our Valedictorian (Harvard), nor our salutatorian (Duke), had GPAs of 4.0.

I don't understand the GPA scale. When I was in high school, I remember a weighted and unweighted GPA, with 4.0 being the highest on an unweighted scale. But schools could manipulate the weighted part. My high school only allowed you to go up to a 4.5, whereas, some high schools went to 5.0. It didn't make sense then and still doesn't when colleges release their numbers.

To the OP, it was her SAT score that let her down.

She's going to rock FSU or which ever school she goes to after getting her AA. She's going to be more mature and she's going to have that chip on her shoulder thy she's going to kill it in school.
Is CC the only option, or is she considering any of the other state schools - the UWF's, UNF's, FGCU's, etc. of the world?

I've been in various higher education sales gigs for the past 12 years and I've spent a lot of time on those types of campuses. What they lack in big-time college town feel, they sometimes make up for with smaller class sizes, a more intimate college experience where you're not as apt to get lost in the shuffle, and professors that actually teach their own classes, as opposed to doing research full-time while a snot-nosed TA teaches.

I'm glad to have gone to FSU, but I've often thought about what it would've been like to go to a school where the professors knew my name.

That's insane! The GPA scale is most definitely not what it used to be, there was no such thing as higher than a 4.0 a few years ago.
I believe now that honors classes are a 0.5 point bump and AP/IB classes are a 1.0 point bump. It's possible to get a 4.0 with a lot of Bs and B+s.

Reactions: dmm5157
I don't know how the SAT has been modified.

I took the ACT. Some people do better, relatively speaking, on the ACT than the SAT. The tests emphasize different things. I think the SAT is what took her out, looking at the numbers.

In Florida, CC pretty much guarantees entry into one of the state schools (my understanding). Also, the state system is a lot different now than it used to be. I went to FSU from 1992-1996. The population of Florida is larger. University of South Florida, University of Central Florida are both much better schools than they used to be. Even FIU has some nice programs. Back then, University of Miami and UF had pretty much the only viable medical schools. Now, FSU, USF, UCF and FIU all have medical schools. I would encourage you to not take FSU's rejection personally and to encourage your daughter also to pivot away from that. I know it is very disappointing.

Do try to see if the ACT route is superior for her.

The GPA stuff is sort of nonsense. HS GPAs are a bit meaningless.

Also, while she is doing the CC route, since you are in Tampa, send her to a lab or something interesting at USF and tell her to volunteer in research. She can do data entry, coding, go to presentations, medical grand rounds, and so on. Even if she isn't particularly interested in that route, it is good thinking experience and it can be used on the next round of college applications.

An AA from a community college in Florida will guarantee entrance to a state university, but not to a specific college or program.

I don't think it was the GPA, it was the SAT score I'm sure. Unfortunately, the way they've rescored the SAT, an 1100 isn't what it used to be.

People get too worked up over the different ways of calculating GPS scales. The colleges know what they're looking at, and they know the high schools and how they score. I've heard the same thing over an over from all the colleges...they're looking at how challenging the course work you chose to take in high school, and how you did in those classes.

I'm sure you're daughter will do fine. I'm afraid I'm looking at the same thing in a year. We're in Georgia, and my daughter is really pretty dialed in on Georgia Tech, and as it's shaping up now, it will be a close shave. She's right about the midpoint on everything. I'm afraid she's JUST going to miss it like your daughter did. And she doesn't have a real strong second choice...so she may well be looking at going somewhere else and transferring into GT.

Sorry about that.

Did she apply to other schools as well? Might have some luck with an out of state school but would cost more obviously.

It also depends on when you apply, believe it or not. I have been neck deep in choosing colleges for over a year with my daughter. She has a 4.1 weighted and a 26 ACT. She'll be three classes from her AA when she graduates HS this year. She's a solid student, and is in the top 10% of her class of 400.

For students who apply for the early acceptance in December, they have a much greater chance of being accepted than those who apply in March.

My daughter applied to 8 colleges, got accepted to 7, including FSU, and she must have barely made it. The average GPA/test scores for the December acceptance to FSU were well above hers, but she made it somehow. I don't think the University gives a rip about whether or not the child's parents or grandparents went to FSU, which is sad. It should absolutely play a part I think, but they are all about giving the illusion all of these geniuses are getting accepted and attending, which isn't the case.

Anyway, it didn't matter to my daughter I don't guess, because she has no desire to go to FSU. The only reason she applied was because her mother and I, both FSU alums, asked her to. She's going to Troy, and to be honest, I'm kind of glad. Seems to be a much safer place in a much smaller town.

It also depends on when you apply, believe it or not. I have been neck deep in choosing colleges for over a year with my daughter. She has a 4.1 weighted and a 26 ACT. She'll be three classes from her AA when she graduates HS this year. She's a solid student, and is in the top 10% of her class of 400.

For students who apply for the early acceptance in December, they have a much greater chance of being accepted than those who apply in March.

My daughter applied to 8 colleges, got accepted to 7, including FSU, and she must have barely made it. The average GPA/test scores for the December acceptance to FSU were well above hers, but she made it somehow. I don't think the University gives a rip about whether or not the child's parents or grandparents went to FSU, which is sad. It should absolutely play a part I think, but they are all about giving the illusion all of these geniuses are getting accepted and attending, which isn't the case.

Anyway, it didn't matter to my daughter I don't guess, because she has no desire to go to FSU. The only reason she applied was because her mother and I, both FSU alums, asked her to. She's going to Troy, and to be honest, I'm kind of glad. Seems to be a much safer place in a much smaller town.
Do you live in Florida?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT