ADVERTISEMENT

My take on the QB situation ...

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Hey, what's one more thread, right?
I know you guys are dying to know what Clark thinks. So here goes ...

McKenzie Milton is a better thrower of the football than Jordan Travis. Those three passes he made last night - the sideline, the middle of the field to Helton, the shovel pass to Williamson - are just innate, natural-ability type throws that most QBs can't make. He's got just a special sauce in that regard that isn't normal. I get why those plays got everyone excited.

He also got to face a tired defense, in the fourth quarter, on a humid night, that had been chasing around RBs and the QB all night. He got two drives. He looked good in both - and frankly, looked much more mobile than I thought he would/could - but it was a small sample size. Especially for someone that hadn't been getting near the reps as the guy he was competing with (read into that what you will).

Travis faced a defense that had been preparing all offseason for him, and had gone up against him the year before. They took away his legs, they threw multiple blitzers at him on most every pass attempt, and quite frankly, he looked a little rattled and confused. He also put up 28 points and had the offense out to midfield after a 25-yard run when Milton took over in the fourth quarter. So, you know, he wasn't a complete disaster, right? Twenty eight points against Notre Dame (that great Bama offense put up 31 on the Fighting Irish a season ago) isn't anything to sneeze at. But yes, too many missed throws, too many interceptions, too many scrambles into tacklers. Too many 3-and-outs (though, false starts and bad snaps didn't help). I'm not arguing that Travis played great. Or even good. He didn't.

Thinking about the last three years, the fact that FSU could get not-great to subpar QB play (especially judging from the posters on this board) and still put up 28 points on a defense like that, with a coordinator like that, bodes very well for the future. Not just for this year, but for the coming years. This offense is going to be a bear to deal with.

Last year for FSU to do ANYTHING on offense, Jordan Travis would have to be sensational. He played the best game of his life last year against Notre Dame and they managed 26 points. He played like a JV QB to some on this wonderful website last night and he had 28 on the board and was driving again when Milton came in. Progress, folks!

Moving forward, I think both will play. I think both will be needed.
The key, to me, watching that game on Sunday night was that the running game didn't miss a beat when Milton came in. Even though he's clearly not the running threat Travis is on the read. It didn't seem to matter. That's GREAT moving forward. That should translate to many yards and many points, especially against defenses that aren't loaded up front and don't have Ronnie Lott playing safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News