ADVERTISEMENT

National cheating conspiracy...It's going to get ugly.

Wake Forest! Cheating to get weak athletes into schools they had no business getting into. That's rather interesting ...

Reactions: goldmom
oh, this is what they are talking about with some Hollywood people. Paying to get their kids qualified to get into schools. From what I read, it puts more blame on parents and "middle men" - having other people take the SATs for kids, for example. Although there is some stuff in there where some kids were accepted as athletes even though they aren't. Lesser standards or something?

There is no way UNC and Miami were able to get kids into their programs. Hopefully Clemson, UF, and Miami are hit hard :p.

Reactions: egnole
I can see how this is unethical, rotten to the core, and breaks dozen's of NCAA rules. But how is it illegal? Just like how is giving recruits money illegal??

I can see how this is unethical, rotten to the core, and breaks dozen's of NCAA rules. But how is it illegal? Just like how is giving recruits money illegal??

It is a bribe committed over state lines. It is wire fraud committed across state lines and thus federal.

If you are so inclined to commit a crime don't ever talk on the phone about it or mail someone in the commission of it.

I'm guessing it's considered bribery.

Wake Forest! Cheating to get weak athletes into schools they had no business getting into. That's rather interesting ...

These charges have nothing to do with illegally getting schlorship athletes qualified , it is rich people buying there kids admission and diquising it to look like the kids were atheletes and forged paperwork done by coaches at Wake Forrest, Stanford, UCLA, ands others for payoffs , the money was paid to the coaches with the use of Non Profits
And a lot of money for Volleyball, swimming coaches etc.

It’s mail fraud and rachatering charges with a tight group
Of people , it will be interesting if they can spread it to major men’s sports but right now it’s not real athlete kids it’s rich kids being presented as athletes and falsifying applications and information for admissions , ouch

Im going to enjoy this almost as much as watching the #metoo movement rip through those Hollywood elitists.

It is a bribe committed over state lines. It is wire fraud committed across state lines and thus federal.

If you are so inclined to commit a crime don't ever talk on the phone about it or mail someone in the commission of it.

Does that include email?

Curious that the “Harvard of the South” isn’t mentioned as one of these elite universities?

Reactions: pauldNole
These charges have nothing to do with illegally getting schlorship athletes qualified , it is rich people buying there kids admission and diquising it to look like the kids were atheletes and forged paperwork done by coaches at Wake Forrest, Stanford, UCLA, ands others for payoffs , the money was paid to the coaches with the use of Non Profits
And a lot of money for Volleyball, swimming coaches etc.

It’s mail fraud and rachatering charges with a tight group
Of people , it will be interesting if they can spread it to major men’s sports but right now it’s not real athlete kids it’s rich kids being presented as athletes and falsifying applications and information for admissions , ouch
Good summary. But was it written by Aunt Becky while she ran from the feds?

Wow. Lots of Cali people.
Interesting.
Seems the “consultant” middle man lived out there. I’d imagine there are a number of sketch balls like him, esp servicing the ny/ct/nj enclaves. Those people couldn’t show up at the country club if their spawn weren’t accepted into Harvard.

Though to be fair, they’ll just write the $2.5m bribe check directly to Harvard in the form of a donation.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
Seems the “consultant” middle man lived out there. I’d imagine there are a number of sketch balls like him, esp servicing the ny/ct/nj enclaves. Those people couldn’t show up at the country club if their spawn weren’t accepted into Harvard.

Though to be fair, they’ll just write the $2.5m bribe check directly to Harvard in the form of a donation.

I agree wealthy people donate money to universities all the time where they name a building after a person and all of sudden their sub par academic kid gets admitted to said university. Who needs a middle man.

I agree wealthy people donate money to universities all the time where they name a building after a person and all of sudden their sub par academic kid gets admitted to said university. Who needs a middle man.
The poors who can only muster a $15k-$500k bribe.
Apparently that’s not nearly enough to bribe the admissions/fundraising folks. They want bigger checks.

I read an article where the IMG guy would change the answers to the students ACT and SAT tests once the student was finished. Not sure if the student really had any idea or not what was happening. The next question is....what do you do with the students now? Throw them out? Take back their degree?

I read an article where the IMG guy would change the answers to the students ACT and SAT tests once the student was finished. Not sure if the student really had any idea or not what was happening. The next question is....what do you do with the students now? Throw them out? Take back their degree?

I don't recall where but I read USC said they would expel the students if they believed/prove that they knew about the scam. For the others, they stated their status would be determined on a case by case basis

Funny because that area (where I've lived my whole life outside of my years at FSU) is loaded with people crying about privilege, inequality, etc. Now they are some of the same ones who have been caught up in this web.

Funny because that area (where I've lived my whole life outside of my years at FSU) is loaded with people crying about privilege, inequality, etc. Now they are some of the same ones who have been caught up in this web.
Yes hypocrisy knows no geographic boundaries. It also tends to rear its ugly head when a son or daughter is involved.
Humans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: nynole1
Is there lots of discussion among faculty there about this?
Not a huge amount. UCLA is pretty accustomed to dealing with similar scandals/schemes/frauds arising from international applicants (e.g., https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-chinese-visa-fraud-20190312-story.html), and the involvement of a couple of B-list actresses does not really turn heads around here.

The involvement of a coach definitely garnered some attention, and we received an e-mail from the chancellor yesterday within an hour of the story breaking stating that he had been placed on leave.

There’s been a little bit of opportunistic snarking from the academic senate about ending exceptions to the normal admissions procedures for scholarship athletes, but the academic faculty does that every single time the athletics department generates negative press.

6dd7ea13c1fe60fcf8b9c0f6349e288f.jpg

Don't be calling my woman "B-list" !!

Yeah. This is constant from lots of groups. It makes me value “elite” university degrees less. You’ll find at the higher end of the distributions at state schools more capable and driven people frequently, that got there without cheating, affirmative action, legacy admission status, or uber wealthy parents.

Until the schools admit all students on the same basis I'm actually ok with all of this. There is no reason someone who can throw a football well, swim well, hit a ball well, etc. should be part of a school that's main purpose is education unless they are on par with the rest of the students from an education standpoint. IMO this just exposes how dumb/corrupt the admissions process is.

one other thing, and I don't remember who said this (maybe Ben Shapiro), is that these students weren't necessarily failing or struggling at these institutions where they supposedly didn't qualify for entry. Just something to ponder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT