ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA Soccer Tournament thread***

nole96

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Oct 10, 2002
Hopefully you already know FSU won their opening round game 3-0.

LSU won theirs, so we'll face them in the second round.

5-seed Clemson was eliminated by Vanderbilt.

The rest of the ACC plays tomorrow and Sunday.

Here's something you don't see everyday, 6-seed Tennessee was beaten in double overtime..... by the score of 4-1. Xavier scored three times in overtime.

Alabama won their opening round game 9-0.

If FSU plays near to their capability, they will not lose before the College Cup. At that point, we
will be playing teams of equal or similar capabilities.
I actually anticipate ND beating UNC in their bracket. We would be playing them, assuming we all win to that point. That is anyone's game.

If FSU plays near to their capability, they will not lose before the College Cup. At that point, we
will be playing teams of equal or similar capabilities.
I actually anticipate ND beating UNC in their bracket. We would be playing them, assuming we all win to that point. That is anyone's game.
I refuse to take LSU for granted. Facing the SEC, not counting the pathetic gaturds, we went 1-0-2 with only a +2 goal differential. Word is the lady Tigers are a rather physical squad. Our girls will need to bring it next Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben.dean
I refuse to take LSU for granted. Facing the SEC, not counting the pathetic gaturds, we went 1-0-2 with only a +1 goal differential. Word is the lady Tigers are a rather physical squad. Our girls will need to bring it next Friday.
Our girls will not take anyone for granted!
We are simply that much better than LSU and Pittsburgh. Playing at home against them should be W's barring one of those crazy bounce kind of games.
With St. Louis out, the other side of the bracket is also very winnable. Arkansas is the best on that side.
I expect a CC run. Once there, anything can happen.

Reactions: NOLES-RULE
Kind of a tough first round for the ACC. The six high seeded teams all won as expected, but Clemson, Wake Forest, NC State, and Va Tech were all eliminated.

I actually watched a fair amount of NCSt and UCF and WVU and VT.
I was amazed at how many passes were missed and opportunities overlooked or not executed.
I think I'm spoiled by FSU's ball handling and attacking skills.

Reactions: fsufool and nole96
It's listed at 5:30 on ESPN+. Friday!
Love watching these women play. Coach has them playing a more aggressive offense, more direct and dynamic. They lack the depth of last few years (bringing an All-ACC player off the bench), and overall less skill, but lots of fun to watch. Glad he brought in players off the bench for the last 25 minutes or so. Save those legs for Sunday.

Pitt is a good team, but we are better!
Let's just hope these ladies come out guns blazing and put Pitt away quickly.

Reactions: runningnole
Nole96: It's 5:30pm on Friday. Tom81: It's listed at 5:30 on ESPN+. Friday!

Thanks, 96 and 81, much appreciated!

Reactions: nole96
Looking like it will be yet another SEC team, Arkansas, in the next round. They're up 2-0 against Memphis.

Beating them just means more.

EDIT... Just like that, Memphis has come back to tie that game.

Reactions: runningnole
That was a terrific win v Pitt. This was a Pitt team that beat Notre Dame 3-1 earlier this season and gave ND all they could handle falling in PKs in the ACC tournament. They were also very competitive losing to FSU 1-0 earlier this season.

ACC has 5 of the 8 teams in the Elite 8 -

1. FSU v 3. Arkansas
1. Notre Dame v 2. UNC
1. Alabama v 2. Duke
1. UCLA v 3 Virginia

Gets tougher all around now

Arkansas will be challenging, but they have no business beating us.
Now the CC is a different deal. Anyone can win.
As much as we miss Jaelin, we actually miss Emily more IMO.
Leilani has done an outstanding job at holding MFer.
What we don't have is a very skilled and dangerous CB who makes occasional forays into the
opponents final 3rd. I get nervous when our current CBs try to take on a player 1v1.
It happened once yesterday and we were dispossessed near our 18. Those are the kinds of mistakes that can
result in goals.
We are stronger up top than we were last year. Heather makes us stronger going up the right side.

Arkansas will be challenging, but they have no business beating us.
Now the CC is a different deal. Anyone can win.
As much as we miss Jaelin, we actually miss Emily more IMO.
Leilani has done an outstanding job at holding MFer.
What we don't have is a very skilled and dangerous CB who makes occasional forays into the
opponents final 3rd. I get nervous when our current CBs try to take on a player 1v1.
It happened once yesterday and we were dispossessed near our 18. Those are the kinds of mistakes that can
result in goals.
We are stronger up top than we were last year. Heather makes us stronger going up the right side.
We definitely seem to have a lot of skill on the right side with Heather, Jenna and Jodi.

Echegini’s thru balls to Brown have been terrific. That quick strike ability, I don’t know if that a strategy difference between Krikorian and Pensky or an adjustment based on the skill of our players, but it is fun to watch.

This team also just keeps attacking for 90 minutes. Krikorian’s teams seemed like they would lull the other team to sleep or just keep prodding the defense until they made a mistake and then attack.

BTW, I know we signed a decent class but will Pensky keep the flow of international players going? And if so, are the announcements of international signees on a different time frame?

We may not have the CB we had in Emily but Roque is pretty amazing as a ball handler. I know she’s not bringing the ball forward, but She bails out our defense when they get in trouble with pressing forwards. There have been times where we have kicked the ball pretty hard and I hold my breath for a second but she always seems up to the task.

Don't know about the international connections. I know that he has communicated to Mark
many times this season and apparently Mark has been helpful. Now whether that help extends to
international connections I have no idea.
What I expect (JMHO) is for him to mine the portal pretty hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT