ADVERTISEMENT

Need Help (Cell Phone)

sloth43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2003
My Galaxy S5 has been acting up of late. It is generally slow to respond and had an atrocious battery life. After I unplug the phone, after 15 minutes the phone is down to about 88% having done nothing.

That said, I am eligible for a new phone. It seems that there may be several new phones coming out soon. My last 2 phones were the S3 and now the S5. Needless to say, I think I want to try something new. I will rule out the iPhone because I HATE the keyboard on it. I am open to suggestions/opinions. I can wait a little while longer, what is on the horizon?

Any websites I should check?

Yes, I know there are rules to the LR, so I included a pic of said Galaxy S5

samsung-galaxy-s5-01.jpg

I have none of those issues with my S5. Looking at my phone which has been off the charger sense 6:00 am and still at 85 pct battery life.

This post was edited on 3/30 3:55 PM by SoddyNole

Have you tried buying a new battery? Also go into your settings and you can see what is draining your battery. Ive had the same issues with my S4. Ive found that going into the application manager under settings you can see that a bunch of functions and apps will still be running even though you think they are off. Going into that program and closing some things will help a little. I will be switching to an iPhone or HTC because of the battery issues.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I love my S5. When I am traveling or not staying in one place for a while, I turn off the wifi and GPS. Also, I only have the mail sync on wifi. My battery can last up to 2 days. I do the usual Warchant, Facebook, spying on my daughter in Instagram, texting and talking. No issues here.

Wife and I started having trouble charging our galaxy's this weekend, very strange. Fortunately I have extra batteries and a charger and we're just swapping out batteries instead of charging by cord. But her phone sat for hours and had only charged 20%. Threw the battery in the external charger and it was good in 30 minutes. Something weird going on with Samsung I think.

Originally posted by BelemNole:
Wife and I started having trouble charging our galaxy's this weekend, very strange. Fortunately I have extra batteries and a charger and we're just swapping out batteries instead of charging by cord. But her phone sat for hours and had only charged 20%. Threw the battery in the external charger and it was good in 30 minutes. Something weird going on with Samsung I think.
Have you tried multiple cables? My old Nexus 4 got increasingly sensitive to cables as it got older, really strange.

Yeah, we've got multiple in the house and I threw one away last week thinking it was the culprit.
I've had good luck with the Amazon Basics cables.

I just switched over to a Oneplus One from a Nexus 4. Pretty happy. Thing is kinda huge though.

Originally posted by sloth43:
My Galaxy S5 has been acting up of late. It is generally slow to respond and had an atrocious battery life. After I unplug the phone, after 15 minutes the phone is down to about 88% having done nothing.

That said, I am eligible for a new phone. It seems that there may be several new phones coming out soon. My last 2 phones were the S3 and now the S5. Needless to say, I think I want to try something new. I will rule out the iPhone because I HATE the keyboard on it. I am open to suggestions/opinions. I can wait a little while longer, what is on the horizon?

Any websites I should check?

Yes, I know there are rules to the LR, so I included a pic of said Galaxy S5

ec
Ive had the LG G2 for over a year and it is by far the best phone Ive ever had as far as performance and battery life. Ive had Samsung phones 1-4 and all sucked as far as battery life. When this one dies, if it does, i will be getting another LG.

Originally posted by jamnolfin:
Get the Note 4, the biggest cell battery of them all
This. My wife and I both upgraded at the end of January from S3 to the Note 4. Major change and we both love the Note 4.

I have had issues with my S5 of late but it was related to the memory filling up. Verizon puts so much bloatware on it it is hard to keep free even with a big SD card also installed.

Clear your phone's cache and make sure you have free space on the phone. without some free space things go south quickly.

outside of that issue it's the best phone I have ever had.

Any good websites that discuss phones coming up later this year?

What's up with new Android phones not having a SD slot?

Android, as an operating system, has been moving towards dropping support for SD cards for quite a while. Phone vendors are aware of that, so have stopped including the slot.

From a programming standpoint, the non-unified storage was kind of a pain in the butt to deal with. A lot of apps therefore just handled it poorly, or not at all.

(this is mostly hearsay from people I know who actually do meaningful Android dev, so take it with a grain of salt)

Originally posted by MuchasVeces:

Android, as an operating system, has been moving towards dropping support for SD cards for quite a while. Phone vendors are aware of that, so have stopped including the slot.

From a programming standpoint, the non-unified storage was kind of a pain in the butt to deal with. A lot of apps therefore just handled it poorly, or not at all.

(this is mostly hearsay from people I know who actually do meaningful Android dev, so take it with a grain of salt)
Yep, it's been going that way for a while now.

Samsung historically has bucked the trend and included an external micro SD card slot, but they dropped that with the GS6. Ironically, HTC had started leaving them off with the HTC One (M7 and M8) but then went the opposite of Samsung and added it with their HTC One M9. Maybe HTC realized that people actually appreciate having it.

I know I put mine to good use with my Galaxy Note 4. A 64GB microsd card can be had for around $30 and is incredibly useful if you're shooting HD videos regularly, as I do for my kids. HD videos are great, but a couple minute video can be over 1GB.

Hey Desi, How are you liking your Note 4? I'm due for a replacement next month and all of my research and preferences point to the Note 4. I have the Galaxy 3 now.

Originally posted by jaxnole77:
Hey Desi, How are you liking your Note 4? I'm due for a replacement next month and all of my research and preferences point to the Note 4. I have the Galaxy 3 now.
I really like mine, but getting used to the size jump (from HTC One to Note 4) was an adjustment. Overall, though, I like the phone. Only thing i wish it had that my wife's GS5 has is the waterproof option. With kids, my son has come close to dropping my phone in the dog's water bowl a couple of times. It's only a matter of time before he is successful.

Other than that, very solid device and the stylus is really handy for when I'm sketching details in the field.

my phone died....android user. S3.. Was looking to upgrade to s5/6, note, whatever... and the prices are stupid high. Anyway, the sales person, after I described how I used to phone pointed me toward the

ZTE Zmax.

$250 - vs 650/750/850 - the thing is superfast, great screen, 10 mpixel camera.... great sound out of the speaker. Best phone I've ever owned and about 1/3rd the cost of the phones all the suckers are buying.

I would try a new battery. I just put a brand new one in my Note 3 and my wifes S4. Made things a lot better. I know the LG G$ Note is going to be coming out soon. It has everything that Samsung is getting rid of. SD slot and removable battery. I would also look at what is running in the back ground. That is most often a problem. How often are programs updating? Things like that will drain your battery. If you are in an area that is not getting a good LTE signal it will drain your battery. I will often put my phone on airplane mode and just use wifi calling since I have Sprint.

Have you tried multiple cables? My old Nexus 4 got increasingly sensitive to cables as it got older, really strange.
I cant remember the app I use that tells me how much the charger is putting out when I plug in. You can see a faulty cable or cheap charger immediately.

BTW, I have none of these issues on my S5, and I have beaten the hell out of it.

This post was edited on 4/10 9:31 AM by Phinhead

I'm kind of leery of ZTE and Huawei, for the same reason I leery of Lenovo (who actually got caught).

My first step would be installing Cyanogenmod or another custom ROM.

Originally posted by Phinhead:
I cant remember the app I use that tells me how much the charger is putting out when I plug in. You can see a faulty cable or cheap charger immediately.

BTW, I have none of these issues on my S5, and I have beaten the hell out of it.

This post was edited on 4/10 9:31 AM by Phinhead
Galaxy Charging Amp Pro

Easily detect bad cables and adapters. You will be surprised how many less than 1800mA chargers or cables you have around.

allGPEdTu1MwrOAqEhZz_PDN6WK4qVuj5bnNpmA617WimTRuutQeGFd__QIQHvR_DQyL=h900-rw

2wdeqUFLIMqVRAJIem-TE5oKr2k57dylK6lfDcr47DVVcgK8fhLHybkR1r9Pc2gu_sA=h900-rw

This post was edited on 4/10 5:15 PM by Phinhead

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT